Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-14-11, 11:33 PM   #1
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Question cant decide 2 stroke or 4 stroke

OK I don't want to open a big can of worms here but I am looking at getting a new boat next year so I need some help and advice. What engine type would be best on an aluminum fishing boat like the Tracker Pro - Guide 16WT . I have a choice of either a mercury Optimax or the mercury fourstroke. I will be getting either the 75hp or 90hp. Now according to the mercury web site the opti max is 24lbs lighter than the four stroke. I would like to hear from you all about your experiences and the pros and cons that you all might have on them. Thanks
Fraze5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 09:43 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

With the price of gas, I say 4 stroke. I know I wish I had one on my rig. Just my opinion.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 10:00 AM   #3
lilmule

In smaller sizes the four stroke is a good option,larger the weight is a factor but all are going (4 strokes) on a diet nowdays and weigh less than inception.
Seems as we got larger engines and modernized they got heavier,a 1975 -93 150 weighs a lot less than a 2011.
My old 2 stroke 1977 140 x flow weighs 297 as first year of mfg,puts out about 122 hp at prop same as a 115 ho not about to pay ten grand and gain 100 pds or so just to have modern.
The four stroke is very competitive on smaller flat john boats,while less torque savings on gas and doesnt take a marine mech to work on the powerhead.
If I had a choice however would get a yamaha,over a merc in the 4 if at all possible,if I recall correctly and dont always now days its a sub contract motor the merc,that they put their name on.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-15-11 at 10:07 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 06:19 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

The 4 stroke merc will outlast the 2 stroke. The 2 stroke will have more speed. The 2 stroke will need special oil at 35 bucks a gallon.

They both will drink the same amount of fuel at WOT but at slow speed the 4 stroke will use 1/2 the fuel and no oil.

The 4 will always start and never foul plugs.

I lean toward the 4 stroke Merc..

Capt Mike
Old 08-15-11, 06:59 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Most of what has been said here is true as a general rule. However, I will testify that Optimax outboards get outstanding fuel mileage, in most cases comparable to that of a 4-stroke. They are not your gandpappy's 2-smoke.

But yes, the price of that damned oil is annoying.
Old 08-16-11, 10:40 PM   #6
flfireman

Love my 90hp opti and my fuel mileage is great.
Old 08-19-11, 07:06 AM   #7
muskyboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive always had 2 strokes, never had any real issues with them except for water pump impellers but I fish the fox chain in northern illinois and most places its pretty shallow so suck alot of mud in the cooling water. 2 strokes seem to have more power and you get built in mosquito repellant!
muskyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 03:04 PM   #8
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

The weight of the motor is no big deal. I would buy as large a four stroke motor as I could afford and the boat ratings allow. I under powered my very first boat many years ago and learned a big lesson. I've had many boats since and I may not go to the maximum Horse Power rating, but definitely don't under power.

I just sold a 20' Skeeter with a 200 Yamaha V-Max and the performance was very good. I bought a 20' Xpress H-20 aluminum bass boat in June. I put the Yamaha 200 HP SHO four stroke on it. The boat is a dream and three good trips on 10 gals. of gasoline! I cannot believe how this big motor sips fuel.

If I were you I would buy the 90 hp. four-stroke or a 155 if the boat is rated to handle it.

Good luck, Buddy
Old 08-19-11, 03:04 PM   #9
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

The weight of the motor is no big deal. I would buy as large a four stroke motor as I could afford and the boat ratings allow. I under powered my very first boat many years ago and learned a big lesson. I've had many boats since and I may not go to the maximum Horse Power rating, but definitely don't under power.

I just sold a 20' Skeeter with a 200 Yamaha V-Max and the performance was very good. I bought a 20' Xpress H-20 aluminum bass boat in June. I put the Yamaha 200 HP SHO four stroke on it. The boat is a dream and three good trips on 10 gals. of gasoline! I cannot believe how this big motor sips fuel.

If I were you I would buy the 90 hp. four-stroke or a 155 if the boat is rated to handle it.

Good luck, Buddy
Old 09-12-11, 08:36 AM   #10
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

Lightbulb

Well I think I have pretty much decided that I will go with a four stroke. As for the extra maintance according to the Mercury web site the valve train is comptley maintance free. That means it should have hydraulic lifters they never need adjustment, just look at your car for an example. How many time have you had the valves adjusted on your car or truck that has a couple hundred thousand miles on it? Well it is never. I dont mind changeing the oil in the crankcase and to me that would give it all the more lubrication protection. The last thing I guess that presuaided me to go four stroke is not haveing to buy the oil for mixing with the gas. I really like the ideal of just being able to pull up to the pump and fill'er up and go.

I know that I wont get the high end preformance from the four stroke that you get with two stokes but I am more into fishing that raceing around the lake.
Thank you for all of your imput and advice.
Fraze5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.