Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-17-10, 12:41 AM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What kind of tackle boxes/bags do you use?

I fish a lot of small ponds from the bank and lugging around all my tackle is a pain, i do a lot of walking. I am thinking about picking up one these backpacks.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...1000_100-11-10

I think I can thin out my soft plastics and keep them in the top section and I should be able to get everything else I need in the 4 boxes in the bottom.

Anyone else use a backpack like this to carry your gear?
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 12:46 AM   #2
TN_Bassin

. I don't use a backpack type of bag, but I don't do a whole lot of shore fishing. That seems like it would be perfectly suited to the task though.

Before you buy, make sure you see this part of the discription

From BPS website:
An easier way to transport and organize your tackle, the Bass Pro Shops® Extreme® Qualifier 360 Backpack Tackle Bags feature a padded back and backpack shoulder straps for enhanced comfort, four pockets, rod tube straps, and a versatile zip-off bottom section with shoulder strap. The entire system holds up to ten 360 utility boxes (boxes sold separately) ; top holds six, bottom holds four. Dimensions: 18-1/2" x 9" x 13-3/4". Imported.

The 360 utility boxes are about 4 bucks a peice. So for ten boxes that's another 40 bucks.
Old 01-17-10, 01:07 AM   #3
Jrob78

Yeah I saw that, I have 2 of the 360 boxes already so I will only have to buy 2 more. I will definitely only use the boxes in the bottom section. I would fill the top section up with soft plastics, I have some of those zip lock divider sleeve things that come with the soft worm bags. That's part of the reason this bag was attractive, I like the two separate compartments.
Old 01-17-10, 01:14 AM   #4
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

It a nice $10 savings for the pink one too!
nmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 01:16 AM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
It a nice $10 savings for the pink one too!
I knew that was coming.
Old 01-17-10, 02:49 AM   #6
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to CanalStalkin

I fish only from the bank also. I bought a 10 dollar Remington backpack from wal-mart and just put storage boxes in it containing what ill need for the day.
CanalStalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:20 AM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a couple of double-sided boxes I use. They are the 370 or 3700 size & locked together. One has full-sized baits in it, 1/2 & up. The other is smaller baits 3/8 and under. One or the other fits the occasion if I am bank walking. I carry my worms in a small worm bag most days.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:21 AM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got two BPS bags they don't carry anymore (they were 2007 models). They fit my Falcon boxes perfectly when stood vertically. For space, you can't beat normal 3600/3700 boxes (and I like Plano), but the Falcon boxes are great when it comes to being organized.

While the Plano's are normally more efficient, there isn't a better way to store terminal tackle or spinnerbaits on the market though.

Oh yeah, the other BPS bag holds all my plastics.

BB
Old 01-17-10, 05:24 PM   #9
islandbass

I use a backpack from Flambeau. It was made for fishing. I just add the plano boxes of lures that I think I will need. It is very convenient and sure beats a hard box for my shore needs.
Old 01-17-10, 08:18 PM   #10
muddy

Just bought the Cabels Red Pro Guide with 3 3700 boxes and 4 utility boxes included

Hamburg store matched the inter sale price of 34.99, and I had a 10 dollar cupon got it for 25 bucks with the boxes MAN I AM CHEAP!!!!!!!

I also used an OcheeChobee Fats bag for years from Wal Mart, battery Acid accident rotted the bottom and they dont sell them anymore. I loved that bag , cam with several boxes for 40 Bucks!
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:05 PM   #11
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

i shave down my tackle selections and take this bag when i fish from the shore. it has a shoulder strap which makes it easy to carry and depending on which hand you use to cast you can just switch sides....you never have to put the bag down.... this my go to bank bag. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...100-11-10ually
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:57 PM   #12
Jrob78

I was using a BPS double worm binder but it got so full that I couldn't zip it shut and it weighed like 40lbs. I then transfered everything into a regular backpack but it isn't really working out very well either. Part of the problem is that I buy plastic baits that I don't really need. I don't need to carry stick baits in 25 different colors and sizes. Hopefully I can make myself thin some of that stuff out and I will be okay. I think for $30 the backpack will be worth a shot.
Old 01-18-10, 12:57 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
. I don't use a backpack type of bag, but I don't do a whole lot of shore fishing. That seems like it would be perfectly suited to the task though.

Before you buy, make sure you see this part of the discription

From BPS website:
An easier way to transport and organize your tackle, the Bass Pro Shops® Extreme® Qualifier 360 Backpack Tackle Bags feature a padded back and backpack shoulder straps for enhanced comfort, four pockets, rod tube straps, and a versatile zip-off bottom section with shoulder strap. The entire system holds up to ten 360 utility boxes (boxes sold separately) ; top holds six, bottom holds four. Dimensions: 18-1/2" x 9" x 13-3/4". Imported.

The 360 utility boxes are about 4 bucks a peice. So for ten boxes that's another 40 bucks.

I noticed that if you go to the actual store..Alot of those soft tackle bags come with the boxes already in them....I bought the big 360 bag that came with the boxes(for my sister..so yea,the pink one,lol)..and there was no price difference.If they didnt have the boxes in them,they wouldnt look so pretty sitting on the shelves,lol

My big Plano soft sider came with the boxes as well. (Dick's)

I use to really like the XPS Stalker bag for bank fishing..I almost bought it.But sheered away.

It had more compartments than i could use..Plus,I cant remeber,but I dont think it had a solid place for plastics
Old 01-18-10, 01:16 PM   #14
Jrob78

Quote:
I use to really like the XPS Stalker bag for bank fishing..I almost bought it.But sheered away.

It had more compartments than i could use..Plus,I cant remeber,but I dont think it had a solid place for plastics
That one looks pretty good too, I like that it can be carried as a back pack. I need that because I'm usually carrying at least 2 rods and who knows what else.

I hadn't really thought about it until now but the 360 backpack will be oftly top heavy if I fill up the top with plastics. It will probably constantly fall over.

I just need to go down there and look at them again. It will give me a good excuse to drive out to Cabelas too.
Old 01-18-10, 02:28 PM   #15
BassBandit

These would make your life much easier and less hassle.

http://store.enjayonline.com/Waist-Pack-p/alb1033.htm

http://www.albackore.com/1033_alback...ckle_pack.html
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 02:44 PM   #16
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post

Haha,Its not a fanny pack its a tackle bag!!

Old 01-18-10, 02:44 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
These would make your life much easier and less hassle.
They probably would but they don't hold enough stuff. For me it's a hassle seperating what I think I might need on a giving outing. I like to have the bulk of my tackle with me.
Old 01-18-10, 10:56 PM   #18
Abbeysdad

I have some boxes in a tackle bin in the boat, but most stuff is in a Plano box:
Btw, I have some repainted poppers in there from when I was just a kid...a couple of years ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002-2.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	4626  

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 01-19-10 at 01:51 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 05:21 PM   #19
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I have a couple of double-sided boxes I use. They are the 370 or 3700 size & locked together. One has full-sized baits in it, 1/2 & up. The other is smaller baits 3/8 and under. One or the other fits the occasion if I am bank walking. I carry my worms in a small worm bag most days.

Walmart still carries the boxes like I use. They are by Plano. I saw them at lunch.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 01:44 PM   #20
Jrob78

I went ahead and got the 360 backpack from BPS, it seems pretty well made and has padded straps. The top section is big enough to fit the worm bag divider sleeves and it came with three boxes in the bottom section.

I did get the blue one.
Old 01-31-10, 12:43 PM   #21
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Just bought the Cabels Red Pro Guide with 3 3700 boxes and 4 utility boxes included

Hamburg store matched the inter sale price of 34.99, and I had a 10 dollar cupon got it for 25 bucks with the boxes MAN I AM CHEAP!!!!!!!

I also used an OcheeChobee Fats bag for years from Wal Mart, battery Acid accident rotted the bottom and they dont sell them anymore. I loved that bag , cam with several boxes for 40 Bucks!
they still sell the okochobee fats bags at dicks sporting goods if you have one near you I have one and love it
gamecockbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 02:35 PM   #22
WTL

I use milk crates stuffed with plano boxes. I need the plano boxes to be easy to extract in my small boat, and cheap, so the crates do. (By plano boxes, I mean the term in a generic way. I use some Falcon and some Shimano boxes as well, there is a number designation but I have let it slip past me)

For a bank fisherman (and in my past few trips bank fishing) I stuffed the same plano boxes into my LL Bean bookbag I've had since Mr. Cigar was president. I used to buy new bookbacks every semester cause they were so cheap, but the LL Bean was of such quality that I ended up using it for all my late highschool and college years. In fact, to this day the only thing to go wrong was the zipper apparently got stuck open, again much like what happened to our 42nd President in the oval office. Sometimes when you buy quality it saves you more in the long run. Mr 42 should have remembered that also applied to interns.

Last edited by WTL; 01-31-10 at 02:42 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:23 PM   #23
nofearengineer

I use a ridiculous sized bag from Flambeau called the "Base Camp." It's branded for Gander Mountain. I got it for a hundred bucks with 6 large 3700-style boxes and two smaller boxes. It had tons of extra storage pockets and mini-bags, velcro-held dividers so you can put up to ten 3700 boxes in it if you want, plus it has rollers and a retractable handle, luggage style. This actually came in pretty useful when I was hobbling back to my truck after falling down the rocks last year. I don't think I could have carried it.
Old 02-03-10, 11:33 PM   #24
screwballl

personally I use a real basic old plastic tackle box... if it doesn't fit then I don't need it... especially since I don't have a boat for storage
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 11:13 AM   #25
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockbassman View Post
they still sell the okochobee fats bags at dicks sporting goods if you have one near you i have one and love it

thanks!!!!!!!! I will check it out this weekend
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.