Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-02-11, 08:37 AM   #1
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Troll motor question

Picked up a new to me troll motor yesterday. Went from a 24v, 82 lb thrust hand control. It was old, unreliable and put out nowhere near 82lbs. I got a like new 12v, 54lb foot control. I prefer the foot pedal. I also received 2 new batteries to go with it. I don't fish tournaments, I mostly like to worm fish real slow along a bank or in the structure so hopefully 54lbs. will be adequate. Ranger 373V w/ 200 Johnnyrude on the back. Got the whole setup for $150.00. Old and new are both Motorguides.
One of the batts is a 12v golf cart battery (brand new). Big heavy sucker. Has anyone used one of these and how will it match up with the other batteries? All the others that I have are group 27 deep cycles. I'd like to run 2 12v in parallel. Need some advice, please.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 09:41 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ive had a 373 v ,fairly hefty boat about 1800 pds,yes will do ok as not in wind,as for the golf cart battery dunno.
Myself i prefer the hand as have knee replacement and foot surgery,have 70 pd thrust on a 1060 pd allison overkill,can go forward in gusts to 40 easily.
Being able to pick the days you go out it will do fine,5 mph current like as in flooded ohio river or 30 mph wind will go backwards on high or stay even.
Wires from plus to minus of two batteries taking the minus off the first and the plus off the second,or doing the opposite (jumper from one pos to other negative), produce 24 v,thats in series in parallel they produce 12 v with more amps available.
Parellel merely take each lead off of each,no jumper and attach to the two 12 v wires leading to troller.Both neg to neg and both pos to pos.
Avoid the 12/24v switch if present as they will burn wiring in two if in wrong position,in other words take them off the switch if present as if on charge will mess a lot of wiring up.And do place a circuit breaker in line,the ranger has two back there,use them.Location far right hand side of rear comparment,near the top,they should already go forward to the switch or recepticle,just make sure you reuse them.They are like circuit breaker type if tripped reset plunger.
Post your ride on the ranger board,they will even send you a manual.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-02-11 at 10:08 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 05:17 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dang top.....i got a 56# i am wanting to sell man. works fine. i upgraded to an 80# thrust. it is a motorguide. there are pics of it too on the for sale section.
Old 09-03-11, 03:02 PM   #4
champman

Hey TT, When I bought my Champion it had 2- 6 volt cart batteries for the 12 volt t-motor.They worked great for a long time but they were heavy as all get out so when I up graded to a 24 volt t-motor I went with 2 - 12 volts for the power supply. So if all you are looking for is a long lasting power source the cart batteries will do the trick.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 10:57 PM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey TT Golf cart batteries are great because they are "true deep cycle" since there is obviously no engine to start . They tend to have more amp/hrs than a "Marine" battery. The only problem you might have is getting and maintaining a full charge. Two tips from experience #1 Get a high end charger that says Micro-processor on the box (4 stage is the best) #2 hook the chargers leads to the positive on ONE battery and the negative on the OTHER battery!(important)
Old 09-06-11, 11:23 AM   #6
Top Tiger

Thanks guys for the responses. It's good to know that the golf cart batt. will work OK. I've only got one of them though. Since the new motor is a 12V I think I'll just take it as having a spare battery along. That way I can judge if I want to spend a bunch on another golf cart batt.
Bama, I'd caught on that you have a troll motor for sale but the fellow that I bought this from lives a quarter mile away, you live a quarter day away. Simple logistics. No hard feelings, I hope. When I get down to your neck of the woods, I want my boat to be in working order already.
Once again, Thank you.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 06:22 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

none taken topp. i understand completly pal. if oyu know of anyone who is in need of one, i am here. and it is too........for now anyway,lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.