Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-27-05, 01:34 AM   #1
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default opinions on different lines

I know there are posts about lines and such..but I'm not looking for a "I like this one" so to speak. I'm tired of buying line and finding out that its not that great, slips, breaks easy, whatever. So I'm asking for you guys to give me the best opinions you can of the different lines. I want to find a good quality type and stick with it instead of constantly searching. I'm only concerned with mono really, not into all the braids and floro's and what not.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 07:19 AM   #2
IL.bassin36

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Check out Maxima ultra green. Memory isn't bad, not to stiff, a little stretch but not to bad, pretty dang strong. IMO, it is the best mono on the market.

I also use P-line but it's only in situations where I'm flipping heavy brush. Low stretch and really really strong. The downside to me is the memory and stiffness.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 07:27 AM   #3
AlabamaLakes
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to AlabamaLakes
Default Little known line, The Best I have ever used...

Izorline !!! Two different styles.... XXX Mono..very low memory, some stretch, very tough.... Platinum...Low Memory, less Stretch....You will love this line...Super Strong,,,I seldom fish more than their 10 lb test unless in heavy cover.

Check it out on my site www.alabamalakes.com

I use the xxx on my spinning reels and the Platinum on baitcasters

XXX available in Smoke Color....Platinum available in Clear,green & Hi-vis Yellow

Moderately Priced...1/4 lb spools are on sale at present, Check " Hot Deals" Section on site..
AlabamaLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 07:53 AM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit
I know there are posts about lines and such..but I'm not looking for a "I like this one" so to speak. I'm tired of buying line and finding out that its not that great, slips, breaks easy, whatever. So I'm asking for you guys to give me the best opinions you can of the different lines. I want to find a good quality type and stick with it instead of constantly searching. I'm only concerned with mono really, not into all the braids and floro's and what not.
Well perhaps that's the problem You don't like any braids or flourocarbons, and what not Yet you just keep having breaks, and such. If you use a superlines your breaks will go to almost non-existent if you maintain your line. I went through about every kind/brand of mono a feww years ago, because I just kept breaking off fish. So I switched to Fireline, and will never go back to mono except for some cranks, and some topwaters. If you want line that's durable, then get some superline. If you want to keep breaking off, and replacing your line all the time(or maybe that's your problem) then stick with mono.

Lizards
Old 07-27-05, 03:08 PM   #5
KenDammit

I find braids to be too heavy and florocarbons to be too much worry. I know mono isn't the strongest line on the market, but I also know that there are some brands of mono line that are pretty strong and good quality. Perhaps I just got turned off way back in the day when spiderwire first came out. I used it and it was tough, but it seemed to not have the "smoothness" that mono has. Ever since then, I just haven't been onto the superlines.
Old 07-27-05, 06:08 PM   #6
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Ken, Check out the Mustad Thor line.I like this line alot, it has almost no memory, low stretch.I got promo packs to try , but Kmart sells it here for under $6.00 a spool. P N J
Old 07-27-05, 09:45 PM   #7
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use Trilene XT and have no problems reeling in 5 or 6 lbers. on 12 lb. test. Its always worked for me!
Old 07-27-05, 10:29 PM   #8
KenDammit

I've been thinking about Trilene XT. I have a spool of 20lb big game from when I catfished a lot, but its a bit big for bassing, in my opinion. I've also seen a lot of people say Cajun Red is good, so I'm thinking of trying it. About it, just wondering how the red line is in shallow spinnerbaiting.
Old 07-27-05, 10:51 PM   #9
dodgeguy

click to enlarge
cajun red cast is the absolute best mono bar none.make sure you get red cast and not red lightning.her's a link to cabelas to buy it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...392&id=0022944

here's a link to there website

http://www.cajunline.com/science.html
Old 07-27-05, 11:43 PM   #10
KenDammit

dodge, do you notice any ill effects with Cajun at all? How is its strength, abrasion resistance, knot strength, and what about the color with things such as cranking and spinning or topwater?
Old 07-28-05, 07:45 AM   #11
PowerBass

Get the XT. It is the strongest mono IMO. I would not hesitate to throw the 8lb testin laydowns brush or whatever!!
Old 07-28-05, 08:41 AM   #12
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Theres Nothing Wrong With 20 Lb. Big Game If You Put On Your Flipping And Pitching Poles. I Like Trilene Big Game. You Cant Break It. I Also Like The New Suffix Stuff.
Old 07-28-05, 08:48 AM   #13
PowerBass

big game takes a close second to XT
Old 07-28-05, 10:10 AM   #14
dodgeguy

kendammit,i really have nothing to cmplain about with the red cast.it's great in every aspect.i fished 10 lb. in a weed infested lake and landed 18 bass without a retie!!!the red lightning i thought was way to stiff like wire.i hated that line.the red cast is the extra limp formula and it's wonderful on spinning rods.none of those line loops jumping off the reel.i used to use power pro only so the only thing i don't like is the decrease in sensativity compared to braid.but then again all mono has stretch so i can't really compare it to a braid in that department.the price is also excellent!!!!give it a try.
Old 07-28-05, 11:10 AM   #15
dts
BassFishin.Com Member

Have you tried XDRIVE by Duel? It is a nasa made weave but I tell you what I have been using for about 2 years. I am impressed. With my bait reel, you can have the hairiest nest you ever seen of backlash and it comes out in a matter of seconds. You can have 30 pound tes and it is the same spool as a 4 pound. It was a little expensive but I promise you, you won't be saying I missed a fish off of broken line. Go to weave. would be my advice. Just if you ever have to cut. Take the line you cut home. I dont think I have found a weave yet that is bio. Well any line for that matter take it home if you cut it. I bet we all just love that walking along the bank and tripping over some idiots left over line.
But enough of that, I would suggest that you do go to a weave. I was really worried about it. Being that it wont break. If you stag then you loose a lot of line. But if you combine a good leader then you will be in great. Happy fishing.
dts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 06:24 PM   #16
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have Trilene Big Game Spooled on some of my reels. It's the most abrasion resistant line I've ever used and it casts good. I like Stren Original for crankbaits. It casts good has low visibility but it does wear down too easily. I use Trilene XL on spinning reels. It is very limp and casts good.
Old 07-28-05, 08:35 PM   #17
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

I had problems with one of the trilene lines. It broke off at the lure or just anywhere when I casted. If I remember right it was 8 lb. test, it could have just been old. Right now I'm using 14 lb. Stren mono. It's alright I guess.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 11:28 AM   #18
KenDammit

well, I bought some Cajun Red cast. 10lb test for a spinning reel, and it feels very very tiny and light. I do have another pole with 20lb big game already on it that is my "hog" pole as I like to call it. That line has been good, but as far as using it for things like worms and the like, I just felt like it was too big. So, we'll see how well cajun red holds up and if its quality, then I have found my new line. Plus, I am a sucker for color and since they didn't have any of the photochromatic Big Game, I went to the red.
Old 07-29-05, 02:17 PM   #19
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

CAJUN CAST.......

Works like a charm....................
Old 07-31-05, 03:23 AM   #20
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Stren. I can pull an 85 lb canoe, 250 lb of human, and 30 lb of gear 40 yards to the tree I am snagged in with 6 lb line.....enough to sell me.
Old 07-31-05, 07:48 AM   #21
GOV

STREN...if it's good enough for Bill Dance, it's good enough for me. I like it.
Old 07-31-05, 09:18 AM   #22
dodgeguy

biil dance gets paid to use it!!!!i hate stren.years ago when there was nothing else you lived with it but now there are lots of others that blow stren away.
Old 07-31-05, 04:28 PM   #23
Bender

After reading all of this I set up one of my spinning reels with 12lb. Cajon Red. Well, I hooked a tree this morning and I ended up breaking the 1 1/2" branch after working it back and forth for a while. I was actually trying to break the line and I couldn't. This was with a rapala knot tied to a torpedo. I also put some P-Line CXX on another reel as a little test. The P-Line didn't cast for crap, distance was cut way down. Tough as nails though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-05, 07:33 PM   #24
KenDammit

I am extremely impressed with Cajuns casting ability. It is so smooth and limp that I can hardly even feel my line moving out through the guides. I haven't had one single problem with it in 3 days of fishing since I got it. 10lb test on a spinning reel and it feels like a dream. I haven't gotten any abrasions, and I actually pulled out about a foot wide clump of cattails when my buzzbait got stuck in one of the stalks. There was no knot slippage, no tearing, nothing. I think I'll be a cajun buyer for a long time.
Old 07-31-05, 09:26 PM   #25
PowerBass

I forgot to buy some cajun red at cabelas on saturday. Kicks self in *** and walks away crying LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.