Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-06, 08:56 AM   #1
kickinbass54
BassFishin.Com Member

Default jig fishing

can anybody help me on jig fishing. Ive never tried it before but i would like to try it. I live in northern michigan. How do i use them?
kickinbass54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:11 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

just like a plastic worm, the hit feels the same, you cast in same places you would any other plastic, plus it gets throw heavy cover, you can drag it on the bottom, swim it, jump n hop it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:35 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Jig Fishin.....what's that? Seriously, I haven't much faith in them only because I don't use them often. In the past 10 yrs, I've probably used them three or four times with hardly anything to show for it. I do so well with soft plastics (worms, grubs, creature baits, etc) that I don't usually feel the need to switch to something I'm not that confident with.

The last time I used a jig, I did catch a small bass while swimming it just under the surface.

With that said, I'll also add, that I hear that the Jig is one of the most productive lures you can tie on a line.

Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:36 AM   #4
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

its a very effective tactic for me. i use a lead head for my hook and then based on the water color and condtion the color of the plastic. hook ups are very easy and its funny.
Old 04-28-06, 01:06 PM   #5
Reelstripper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jig Fishing Cedar Lake Traverse city

Hi Kickin Bass 54, I was Camp Hosting Traverse city State Park last year and the only way I could do any type of Bass Fishing was to 'Shore Fish"
Well You have an outstsnding place to do that right there in Traverse City. I fished off the Cedar Lake Boat Launch dock around July at 6am week days (no traffic) I used a BooYah 3/16 oz Baby Boo Pumpkin/Pepper Green with a Yum Chuck Crawbug same color as the BooYah, jig. I also had the Rapala 6 lb Finesse Premium line on a Quantum pt. Spinning Reel.
I would cast out let the in the N/E direction let the bait fall all the way down wait for about a minute then Keep the tip of Rod pointed straight out then ever so slowley bring the tip of the Rod up always watching the line for any unusual movements. Always reel in the slack not the bait.
Believe me this works at Cedar Lake Boat Ramp.. It's a Must Try Tactic shore fishing. Besure to take a pen and Note Pad along with you anytime you go fishing and keep Notes on what works, Time of Year,Time of Day, Bait used Line Size. I do this all the time and my note Book is where I got this information from. I just love Cedar Lake I want to go back there with a boat sometime I live here in Oscoda Mi so I'm not that far away all I do is take M-72 accross Michigan .. Yours-Truly Reelstripper
Reelstripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 10:03 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by betursweetbass
Jig Fishin.....what's that? Seriously, I haven't much faith in them only because I don't use them often. In the past 10 yrs, I've probably used them three or four times with hardly anything to show for it. I do so well with soft plastics (worms, grubs, creature baits, etc) that I don't usually feel the need to switch to something I'm not that confident with.

The last time I used a jig, I did catch a small bass while swimming it just under the surface.

With that said, I'll also add, that I hear that the Jig is one of the most productive lures you can tie on a line.

Good Luck
Just throw it WHERE AND HOW you throw your t-rigged baits for the day. Instead of throwing the t-rig just throw the jig and work it the same way as you would your t-rig. Plus it's even better in the LAYDOWNS, BRUSHPILES, and yo-yoing can work really well. All it is for most folks is to just keep fishing it, and when you get a fish, you'll remember what/where you got him, and just repeat. I reeaaallly stuggled using one at first. I couldn't catch a cold. But I think I mussed a lot of bites, just on the intitial fall at first. But I just kept throwing them, and they really started working for me. I now KNOW they will catch, both quality and quantities of fish.

Lizards
Old 04-28-06, 10:40 PM   #7
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The longer you go without getting bit, the closer you are to catching them .
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-06, 06:27 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
The longer you go without getting bit, the closer you are to catching them .
PNJ you and lizards hit it on the head. Throw them and keep throwing them. Hard to do sometimes but when you get bit and realize what you where doing to get bite you start to unlock the secrets of the jig. I was the same years ago till thats all I threw for almost an entire season. Now even though they may be hitting a spinner or a crank I'll pick up the jig rod to get the better bites.
Old 04-29-06, 01:43 PM   #9
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had to reply to this thread because I love to fish jigs. Just like Lizards said work it where you would any texas rigged worm. Don't be afraid to fish points, channel breaks or any other structure that would normally hold fish. After you make the cast and it hits the bottom, just let it sit there for a few seconds, sort of like letting the jig get acclimated to the area. In other words let the fish get used to the jig being there. Since the fish are curious, they will check it out. After being there for a few seconds, just drag it ever so slowly, and the reason I said drag is because crayfish do not hop. They crawl around on the bottom when feeding. Then after dragging it a while, then give the rod tip a pop so the jig darts off really quickly. This immitates the crayfish fleeing a predator and more times than not that is when you'll get the bite. Bass love crayfish and really big bass will take a jig. At times the bite will be a little tick, and sometimes it will be a bone jarring "THUNK", when that happens hold on. I've had the rod almost yanked from my hands when that kind of bite happens. I hope this explanation has helped. Just try it and you won't be dissappointed.
Old 04-29-06, 02:06 PM   #10
Rebbasser

These guys covered it very well. Like Lizards, I threw one for YEARS before I caught anything on it. Then, I caught the first one and haven't looked back. I always match the trailer to the jig, nd you can use a bunch of differen things for a trailer-I have a buddy that uses a Zoom Horny Toad and does pretty good with it. Just keep throwing one-you WILL eventually get bit.
Old 04-29-06, 02:13 PM   #11
JB

I just got back in from a dreadful slow day of bass fishing, but was delighted as always when I got my bass on the jig today....I keep looking for the darkest areas around timber and throw it in. Today they wanted it to sit in one spot and jig up n down a few inches, they wouldn't touch it if you were moving it towards the boat.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 06:05 PM   #12
MrTwister
BassFishin.Com Member

This has gotten me all inspired to try jigs again! i bought a couple of jigs with the crayfish that is filled with air to make it stand up. Anyone ever use these with good luck?
Old 05-23-06, 06:59 PM   #13
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I never was much on jigs. Until last summer, one morning on a 1.5 acre pond that was stocked in November of 2001, I caught a 4.5 lb bass. I caught several nice fish that day. Now, I realize that a 4.5 lb bass is not exactly a lunker. For a young pond, I was pretty pleased. A day like that will make you want to learn to use jigs.

I also had the chance to watch a touring pro throw jigs at ledges all day last summer. His best 5 fish would have been 19-20lbs. I managed to scrape up one little 3 pound fish from the back of the boat. Granted, I was busy watching what he was doing most of the time and hoping to learn a little something.

Jigs are not my go to bait, but I like them more and more all the time!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 07:10 PM   #14
bass kicker

i havnt got to use it much but it is something i plan on fishin alot this year
Old 05-24-06, 01:59 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

I have got to ask.. Maybe I missed it but I have got to ask. Which jig are reffering too. Lead head with a grub slid on the hook or a pig and jig style jig. Like a Stanley Rattle Jig w/a crawfish cut down on it?

Capt Mike
Old 05-24-06, 02:03 PM   #16
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i like the stone jig..i pick them up if they're on sale otherwise i just use any jighead i have laying around the boat.i prefer throwing them into thick weeds and brushpiles.or if you have a submerged stumpfield or the like ,hop it along the bottom..also good for rock bank and pads if fished right.
the main reason i like jigs is it is like hand to hand combat....yeah!
oh yeah BG04...the THUNK!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.