Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-31-07, 12:15 AM   #26
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
no
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
Old 08-31-07, 03:11 PM   #27
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Soooooooooooo...
Old 08-31-07, 08:12 PM   #28
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love to fish jigs and c-rigs what I do is this . FIRST what ever rod brand you choose an 7-7.5 md hvy is the best. Some might say no way but this is why I say this, when you fish an jig most of the time you ane fishing cover and need an long rod for the leverage, alo with an c-rig the weight is further away from the sinker so you need the longer rod to pick up more line. SECOND on the reel I like an 6.3 . 1 ratio take an look at the ABU sx it is an 6.4.1 with 27 " per handle turn with 24 pounds of drag and is real smooth my dad bought one and I love it {FYI the SHIMANO castic only has 9.2 pounds of drag}
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 08:38 PM   #29
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

So you don't like heavy, MH is the way to go??
Old 08-31-07, 09:03 PM   #30
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I only use an hevy rod when I am Flipping or frog fishing
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:28 PM   #31
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

LUNKER! Obviously it is a matter of opinion. Good God c'mon! MH or H, there isnt that much a difference, go with the Lizard Dragger... or whatever the rod is called that you picked out. THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!

REPEAT:

THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-07, 07:33 PM   #32
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Let me take a stab at this again. Your location suggests smallmouth mostly, and largemouth most commonly under 4lbs (I know occasionly they are bigger). With that assumption made and you're wanting a St. Croix rod, I would want the 7' MH Avid with a fast tip - targeting smallmouth with the 1/4 - 3/16 oz jigs. The MH Avid has plenty of backbone to set the size jigs mentioned and up to 3/8 oz. MH action will give you a lot of fun with the smallmouth, while still handling the largemouth. C-rig with the same rod, using a 3/8 - 1/2 oz weight, again with the "smaller" northern bass you should be fine. If you were down south, it's an entirely different thing. Try some Yo-Zuri Hybrid in 12# or 15# on the St. Croix MH and you should have a lot of fun with the smallies. This rod would also be excellent for tubes and senko's- a smallie favorite. With a limited amount of rods, the MH will give you a lot more options over the Heavy.
I would say this is a good response that was well thought out with your location in mind. I will also say that a MH St Croix is more like a Heavy rod from most other company's. So a MH St Croix is what I would go with. As for 7' being to long for either PNJ or C-rig then that's a load of crap. When you say jigging, from the posts I'm assuming your are talikng about a Pig-N-Jig, NOT a jigging spoon. For a jigging spoon it would possibly be longer than I would use, but still a 7' would be acceptable for this. But also keep in mind jigging means a lot of different things to different people. This setup would also be good for any t-rigging you would like to do, or even work fine for many other things such as spinneerbaits, deep cranking, or even slopp/frog fishing IMO. Now as for what exact rod to buy, I would say stay with the Premier or Avid series, I don't think you really need to pony up the bucks for the legend series at this point in your fishing career. Don't get me wrong I have a Legend, and it's my favortie rod, but it's also my favorite technique rod to boot, pitching. Now as for the reel it really depends If you will actually be doing pitching with this rod also, then you just can't go worng with the Shimano Castaic I have three of these, and use them for everything. However to touch a little more of the subject, higher speed reels will allow you to take up slack quicker, but when c-rigging, or jigging you won't ever have a whole bunch of slack to take up. Now with all this said I actually prefer a spinning rod and reel for my c-rigging, due to the fact the setup will twirl in the air during the cast, which can cause problems with any baitcaster, so I just take that out of the equation by using a spinning reel, which I use a Premier St Croix Heavy 7' Fast action rod. However all of this is just what I use, the more you fish, and the more you experiment with different techniques the more you will find out what "YOU LIKE". One last subject to deal with here is hwether or not you are shore fishing or boat fishing. It really does make a difference many times on what length of rod you can effectively use. If you are in the trees, on the shore then I would even downsize the rod to a 6'6" rod. From a boat the 7' would be my choice, or from shore with mostly clear casting areas. Now this was probably much more info than you needed or wanted, but I wanted to make sure you got "MY OPINION" ROTFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
LUNKER! Obviously it is a matter of opinion. Good God c'mon! MH or H, there isnt that much a difference, go with the Lizard Dragger... or whatever the rod is called that you picked out. THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!

REPEAT:

THAT WILL WORK PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I guess you forgot what it was like buying your first few setups, and all the different opinions everyone has about them. Relax and give him some slack, we all needed some slack when we first started going crazy with all the questions. He's fired up about bassing, and that's what is exciting to me about all his questions

Lizards
Old 09-01-07, 10:24 PM   #33
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Lizards, this isnt his first set-up!! I guess you dont remember his thread a few weeks ago asking about a crankbait rod, and it went just like this one is going. Multiple answers and suggestions would be given, and he would then ask the same question again in response to the answers!!. I have no problem with him asking a suggestion on the rod, but it would be awesome if he would acknowledge that the responses he is getting are actually answering his question[s]. The fact that after every response and suggestion he asks the same question "so will this work or not???" is whats ringing my bell. His question is being answered over and over, and I've even told him that its matter of opinion from there, and still he re-asks the question. I'm all for helping him out, and he is getting plenty of it. So I just dont understand why he isnt realizing it. Its just something that kinda riddles me.
Old 09-02-07, 12:06 AM   #34
Rodman_Rob

maybe the dude just doesn't know/trust the sources of info he is getting and looking for the same answer from multiple people to reassure that he is spending his hard earned money wisely. for some people, spending $100+ dollars on a rod is not any easy investment to make without hearing supporting statements from multiple people/places.
Old 09-02-07, 10:48 AM   #35
Rob Allen
BassFishin.Com Member

Ohhh boy...... go to a tackle store and wiggle rods til you find one you like....
Rob Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 12:01 PM   #36
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Ohhh boy...... go to a tackle store and wiggle rods til you find one you like....
Isn't that how Brittney spears found her 3rd husband? ROFL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 07:46 PM   #37
pig n jig

In my opinion, a pitchin stick isn't a good choice for a carolina rig rod, but a flipping stick could be substituted for a carolina rig rod.It would work as long as you primarily flip jigs and carolina rig, but if you start pitching jigs,I would look for a MH action rod with a more parabolic , or progressive power rod blank.This will allow less arm movement to pitch jigs and it will allow you to feel the fish before it feels you. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.