Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-09-04, 02:15 PM   #1
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Working Structure

This question is to anyone on here willing to answer.

How long do you work structure (docks, trees, etc...) without getting a hit, before you move on to another location? ???

bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 03:11 PM   #2
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33
Default Re: Working Structure

There isn't a set amount of time for me. If I think a fish is there, I might change up what I'm doing a little bit and stay a little longer. If you can get bit then you are helping establish a pattern, if not you only lost a little time.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 03:13 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

That's one of those $64,000 questions. I work one until I'm satisfied I have fished it long enough to give it a fair chance, then move on. How long you fish it is going to depend on the conditions or it may come down to how much time you are willing to invest in fishing it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 03:18 PM   #4
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

It depends on the situation, and your fishing style. I personally fish pretty fast, looking for the active fish. Another person may sit in one spot all day. If i truly think that a fish is on a piece of cover because it just looks too good not to have a fish I sometimes cast 9 or 10 times at the same piece of cover.

Boat docks are funny, some hold fish some don't. It may be the current in a particular area or just the depth is 1' or so deeper around one that makes it better than the others. When fishing them i like to move around a lot until i find one that seems to be holding fish, then i will fish it until i havent gotten and bites in 5 minutes or so. Later in the day i will come back to that same one to fish it again to see if it replenishes itself during the day as a good piece of structure will.

Your strikes can tell you if other fish are in the area as well. If you get a bite and the fish moves away with your bait, he is usually trying to keep other fish from taking his prize. That place will need more fishing than one where the fish just bites it and sits there.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 05:01 PM   #5
spidey04
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spidey04

I agree with Cullin8's. I work a dock pretty fast. But, I work it completely. I make sure I cast under, down each side, accross the front, Did I mention Under. LOL>
If you don't get a hit, either they don't like your bait, or they aint there. LOL>
I would say this though, I try to work a dock from the top and the bottom. I try to throw something top water up under first, and usually move it pretty fast trying to excite or annoy the fish, Then I will work a small crank bait under it, etc.
spidey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 05:38 PM   #6
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Like Cullin, I power fish. That is, I don't fart around waiting for one fish, I move around looking for active ones.

If I can't find any, I go home.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 11:16 PM   #7
bassguy2004

I'll try several different baits before I move. Like SMcCray said both sides and front then back and under as far back as I can get. Some fish under the dock way in the back have never seen a lure.
Old 08-10-04, 05:27 AM   #8
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

In one single day of fishing, you would be amazed at the amount of fish that you pass up. Whatever type of cover you might be fishing. I have heard so many people say that the fish just were not there. Well, that is not true most of the time. The fish probably were there, they just weren't active, or they just didn't fish hard enough in that particular place. I try to work every piece of cover I come to, know matter what it may be, as completely as I can. If that means making ten casts to one particular spot then so be it. You would be surprised how many more fish you will catch if you make multiple casts to a single place over and over again. I have actually fished a particular spot before, then got out of the boat and saw bass down their. I did the total opposite at Lanier one day. Dove first and then fished it. I knew their were fish down there, hell, I just got through looking at them, but couldn't get one to hit for the life of me. The bottom line is to fish each piece of cover completely. Make multiple casts to the same spot. I promise you will catch more fish. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 12:34 PM   #9
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Don't work it fast or slow, just thoroughly!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 01:59 PM   #10
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

BOOGER,

On docks, it depends a lot as to what time of day it is. If it is early morning, I might start with a Pop-R around the dock and under it, then change to a crankbait to work the outside edges. If no takers, I will probably flip or pitch a jig right along each of the posts of the dock until I have covered them all. If still no luck, I might swim a worm or a lizard about half way down, then re-cast and work the worm or lizard on the bottom S-L-O-W-L-Y.
Once I have established the pattern the fish are biting on by working two or three docks, I will eliminate some of the lures and stick with the ones that worked for working the rest of the docks. But I will still work each one very thoroughly.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 02:11 PM   #11
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have started working docks the last couple of times I have went out. Now I know that I just wasn't covering them as good as I thought I was. I also wasn't switching very often. Now I know to switch it up a little bit more to offer more of what them bass might want.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 06:46 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

depends just how nice the "view" is. ;D all day if possable... ;D

mostly 5 -6 cast on a nonscenic dock..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 06:58 PM   #13
driftingsmokey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to driftingsmokey

i fish structure until i am satisfied that if there are any fish under there, they are just not bitin. or until i think iv pulled out every fish ;D
driftingsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 08:50 PM   #14
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I keep 3-4 poles with different baits on them. Like everyone has said cover all sides pretty thoroughly then move on if nothins hittin. Ive been out early morning with nothing and returned later in day and got bit.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 11:34 PM   #15
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i'll work it thoroughly,,if i get a bite and miss it,i'll beat the structure to death till i get that fish.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.