Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 06-03-12, 09:51 PM   #1
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Advice on breaking down this lake, (Lake of the Woods, Indiana)

It's been awhile since I last posted on this forum but my bass finger hasn't lightened. Anyways I have been recently fishing a lake that has me very confused on how to tackle this body of water. It has a large "belly" on the left of the middle that is fairly shallow for quite a ways until it gets to weeds and eventually pads that sit in no deeper than 5 feet. The rest of the lake, as you will see on the map has good depths but very little structure. So, if you could give me five tips (or more) as far as fishing this lake and similar bodies of water.
Conditions (water temp avg 70F, clarity stained visibility lost at 4 feet)
Thanks for any advice!
Link to lake map http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files..._July_2009.pdf
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 11:22 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Heavy action rod,50 pd braid,frog -pads,forget the rest of the lake is there ,other than the 15 ft contour bottom left corner thats a staircase nothing prominent other than holes no humps,some would want to drop shot those,not me that bottom left corner is a lead in lead out bank and the pads i could spend all day in or on.Using top water rats n frogs.If your a jig fisherman then the bank on right side with close contours first and second drops.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-03-12 at 11:30 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 09:19 AM   #3
Bass'n'cast

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about throwing a frog around and in those pads. Whenever I hit those pads I throw a wacky rigged worm or spinnerbait. Do you have a frog lure recommendation?
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 12:03 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What works for me and here may not there,however spro,bobbys perfect,either ones are decent starter frogs,do have to squeeze the spro out every few casts the popin frog is better at not taking on water,non floaters like horny toad use as a buzzbait,rest is trial and error and trying different brands.
Hook set is quit different with a floater than a buzzbait or toad,point rod at where fish went reel up then set hook otherwise lots of missed strikes its like 1,2,3,with the horny toad strike instant same as a buzzbait.
Get a rise but no take on a toad toss back the floater and twitch.
it takes practice and time and you will set the hook on a commode flush and get little for your effort as cannot strike instantly and on slack line,yet its reflex and you do have to get over it,worst scenario is rod bent at strike most however dive to one side and run.Thus 1.2.3 point reel set,if it helps count 1 thousand and one,one thousand and 2 etc,not forgetting to crank up on it,thus when strike home rod will bend at 9-10 oclock not noon,and you will see what ate it if hefty braid is used.Back the reel with mono first to cover spool tie the braid to the mono it helps prevent slip.Virtually any knot will do as if you get down to the mono your had anyway,some merely tape the braid to that mono covered spool I dont.
If you dont own a frog rod use your flipping stick.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-04-12 at 12:19 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 01:26 PM   #5
oglejust

i like the spro frog, havent had to squeeze mine too much yet. i like the white/orange one
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.