Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-15-12, 03:17 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Some jig modifications and a few questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfL2...eature=related
Some pretty good ideas plus the 'whys'.

So who modifies standard jig skirts?
So who modifies weed guard?

Jig makers and sellers, do you modify your skirts when on the water or you make them the way you like them so see no need for adjustments?

Strike King and others have 'magic tail' skirts.
When using them do you not use a trailer or a chunk of some sort or are these really more for like spinning baits and such as opposed to jigs?

And finally, who uses quick skirts (I think you all know what I'm talking about, SK perfect skirts) interchangeable with traditional banded skirts and why or why not?

Thanks for sharing anglers.
Old 10-15-12, 11:56 PM   #2
Tavery5

I thin a lot of my swimjig skirts, I cut the underneath strands out of the skirt.
Old 10-16-12, 09:17 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I cut the weedguards on all my handmade jigs, whether they're going in my box or out to a customer. Coincidentally, I cut them exact how Matt shows in the video. I feel like it's a great length to maintain the stiffness of the weedguard I want while keeping them at an effecting and consistent length. What many don't realize it that the relative length of the weeguard changes depending on hook size, jig type, jig size, etc. This makes everything relatively the same.

I rarely modify a skirt. When I do, I usually thin it in a way similar to the video. I use just the tip of a regular pair of scissors and cut randoms strands at different lengths around the jig. The shinning sheers look like a great way to this is more efficiently though. I'd look into them if I did this more often. I agree with Tony that swimjigs skirts need to be thinner than your regular jigs. I just make mine thinner to being with, usually with about 1/3 less skirt strands.

BB
Old 10-16-12, 08:41 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

I have been using thinning shears on my jig skirts for a long time and I love the profile it gives them.
Old 10-28-12, 01:58 PM   #5
pig n jig

I don't trim the guard or skirts,If I replace a skirt, it is mainly because the skirt collar breaks,I usually go with 40 strands in the replacement skirt.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 03:41 PM   #6
joedog

Thanks for the input anglers!

Now, does anyone modify skirts based on trailer the jig is intended to be used with? Longer trailer, longer skirt and vice versa.
Fuller skirt maybe on longer trailer, or again vice versa.

Example, 5in. Fluke trailer and a SK Rage chunk? or
a Rage craw and a chunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfL2...eature=related
Some pretty good ideas plus the 'whys'.

Strike King and others have 'magic tail' skirts.
When using them do you not use a trailer or a chunk of some sort or are these really more for like spinning baits and such as opposed to jigs?

And finally, who uses quick skirts (I think you all know what I'm talking about, SK perfect skirts) interchangeable with traditional banded skirts and why or why not?

Thanks for sharing anglers.
Old 10-28-12, 08:00 PM   #7
Tavery5

your overthinking it
Old 10-28-12, 10:01 PM   #8
Rebbasser

I trim the weedguard parallel with the hook and sometimes trim the skirt just past the hook. I also will round off the skirt-hold the jighead with the skirt hanging down and round it off instead of letting it be all the same length. I definitely like the thinning shears idea.

I also make my own skirts using skirt material pads-these are strips of skirt material you thread through a skirt collar that are solid on each end that you cut off when the collar is on-and use several different colors for a unique skirt.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 10-28-12 at 10:14 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 02:53 AM   #9
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
your overthinking it
Ya it really is a bad habit of mine.
I really can't argue against your point..
Now that I have little 'water' time it's even worse.

Want to know a larger problem, I ACTUALLY try the vast majority of suggestions and new ideas. After I know the 'whys' that is.
Just because someone catches fish doing something, unless I know why, its just a fish story. Heck guys catch bass on gummy bears and hot dogs. Unless there is a why answer its just because maybe it was a fluke. Whats the trigger,why does a Bass look or don't look.
Unless of course I've already given it a try before.
And then if I think I did it different or wrong (which there really isn't such thing, good or better but not wrong) I'll give it another go.

So sorry about ALL the questions but I usually have a large interest when I ask a fishing question.
If fishing was simple then every single tournament angler would limit every outing. Ya KISS works for some but not always for me.

I am blessed that I can probably fish more often and DO, then a lot of anglers. Hence I have more outtings and more opportunity to try and then try and perfect anything I choose. Once done one pole will be set up for that technique and 3-4 others will be doing a new idea.

This jig question,
I set up four rods. All jig rigged.
One set up with nothing done.
One set up using a hair shears.
One with normal scissors.
One no skirt, just trailer.
That was the morning set up.
afternoon I'll adjust based on success but I'll usually give same set up a morning and an evening shot.
Next day adjustments and maybe different trailers etc.
So again , I truly use info you folks share and I really can and do try stuff, Once I know the whys that is.

Now the rare arrogance thought of mine.
I have confidence that:
I really can catch fish.
And I can catch fish in brand new waters with or without electronics.
I can catch fish in ponds, in rivers, in lakes, in streams.
I can catch fish from the back of the boat or the front. Believe it or not have NO preference.
I can tourney fish and CAN even win Tournies. At least twice a month the local club guys ask me to sub. and get this, I'm not a member in a local club.
I am comfortable shore fishing, tube fishing, wading fishing and anything inbetween.
I can fish almost ANY technique. Not always well...but I understand it and know the whys which translates into the whens.

Why, because I over think almost everything.
.......because I ask so many dang questions.

Example....this long arse answer to a THREE WORD STATEMENT.
Old 10-29-12, 05:31 AM   #10
pig n jig

There is no wrong way to fish a jig ! It's just that some ways are more productive than others.Maybe you should give the senerio your using the jig ?When I say I jig fish a lot,99% of the jig fishing is done in super thick milfoil weedbeds in 10 ft of water or less.I normally go with a 1 oz. jig weight, will go down to a 1/2 oz and up to 1 1/2 oz. in weight.I 've found that I prefer a 6'10" Heavy action rod and 50 lb braided line tied directly, no fluoro leader crap.I use 2 trailer types, a paca chunk and a baby paca craw.I gob smelly jelly bass hammer on the jig until it's a awful looking mess.Find the milfoil with the bright red bloom tassel tops and your in the right area, it's producing the most oxygen of the weedbed.Pitch to anything in the weedbed that looks different.Allow the fish time for the fish to get there until you figure out how active they are.The longer you go without a bite, the closer you are to catching them, don't give up.The only time I use a jig without a skirt is when using the baby paca craw in water with a lot of current, they work really well where there is water current, no skirt is needed, it moves the jig too much,I use a 3/4 oz. weight jighead to keep the craw stationary.The only other time I mess with a jig is when smallmouths move shallow,I'll pitch a 3/8 oz. jig instead of going through a couple bags of tube baits to catch them.I like greens and brown color with a black trailer,it gives contrast for variable light, water color conditions.That is why black/blue is such a great jig, the contrst is already there.Don't pass up Black/red colors either, it will work as well and often better than the black/blue, not many people use the color as apposed to the black/Blue color scheme.I love the all terrain grassmaster jig and for $2.99 a jig is difficult to beat but the jig works extremely well in thick vegetation.for the 3/8 jig, I like a asprin head, it lifts and glides easier to fish sparse weeds, bare bank kind of stuff when the smallies move in shallow.It works well on wind blown points, ect.I haven't bought a asprin jig in a while.They are easy to catch fish with.If your having trouble catching fish, your allowing the fish to bite.Often trailer claw size are on the big side, buy a trailer with smaller claw design and see if your catch ratio doesn't increase.

Last edited by pig n jig; 10-29-12 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 05:51 AM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I also make my own skirts using skirt material pads-these are strips of skirt material you thread through a skirt collar that are solid on each end that you cut off when the collar is on-and use several different colors for a unique skirt.
+1 on the skirt making.I spent a lot of wasted time catching craws in a milk jug traps to get the color schemes and spent a lot of time putting the colors together.In the the end,I haven't found a color that didn't catch fish.They may not have caught the majority of the fish but they would always catch fish.
Old 10-29-12, 05:58 AM   #12
joedog

pig thanks for the input.

Ya some real good stuff.
I don't designate type of water cause I fish a lot of different and new waters. There are days I'll fish 3 different bodies and types of water in the same day.
Unfortunately or fortunately I am a shore enthusiast a lot but do have many an opportunity to boat fish.
And until about two years ago I boat fished TWICE a day.
I'm not struggling with the jig bite, I just want to get better, which is my goal EVERY outing.

Heck this year I even did I 'popping bobber technique' I heard about from Red fish tourney guys. They explained the whys and their whys are based on how shrimp act but it made sense and my belief is systems with some modification are transferable.

Again, great input and I thank you.

Almost forgot, pig hope the weather hasn't hit you yet and prayers are going that it won't effect you largly at all.
That's a slim chance but be SAFE cause I'll need your input again!

Last edited by joedog; 10-29-12 at 06:05 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 06:10 AM   #13
joedog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
+1 on the skirt making.I spent a lot of wasted time catching craws in a milk jug traps to get the color schemes and spent a lot of time putting the colors together.In the the end,I haven't found a color that didn't catch fish.They may not have caught the majority of the fish but they would always catch fish.
SEE we are not that different!
Old 10-29-12, 12:53 PM   #14
Tavery5

It's funny when you think about it, but I was just sitting here thinking about some of the variables that run through my head when I fish a particular lure. In this case I was thinking about a jig.

What rod do I use, should I go with MH, or is the cover thick enough that I need the H, power, think I will go fast, it lets me cast with a little more accuracy, and the rod loads better, no I will go XF, I really like all the sensitivity I get from that rod. Line, should I use braid or fluorocarbon, or a combination of both? What pound test, are there Zebra Muscles is this water? Reel, I think I will go with the 7.1:1, to get them out and away from cover quickly, nah, I go with the 5.4:1 lots of power to pull em out of their hidy hole. Wait, what brakes does my 5:4.1 have on it, centrifugal, magnetic, magforce, both. Crap I cant use that reel with that rod, the rod has SS eyes, braid will eat them up. OK got it , 7:1.1 on the H XF, what jig to use now. What weight, 3/4, 1/2 , whats this rod rated for anyway, ok I will go 1/2 ounce. What color, water is clear but a little green looking, I will go with a natural color, green, brown black/blue, I will go with black and blue, works everywhere, what trailer, ............Hey Tony wake up your talking in your sleep again........
Old 10-29-12, 03:51 PM   #15
joedog

Toney thanks.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've went through that!

And worse yet....last minute I'll change my mind and end up re-rigging at the shore line.

It is neat to hear 'how' you make your choices and definitly the 'whys'.
Toney have a great week and as always, THANKS.
Old 11-08-12, 03:59 PM   #16
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

3grams=7/64oz
Old 11-08-12, 07:20 PM   #17
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFender View Post
3grams=7/64oz
?????????????????
Lost me!
Old 11-08-12, 07:24 PM   #18
pig n jig

What I look for in a pitchin' reel and that is a wide spool designed reel.The reason is the spool startups are slightly slower than a narrow spooled reels when pitching jigs in a free spool mode.Set the brake system but adjust the spool tension knob lighter so the jig falls fairly free through the water colum and use the thumb to control the spool speed in the end of the pitch. Back lashes come during the initial spool startup or the end of the pitch or cast when the lure hits the target and stops taking line off the spool. You have to know at what point the back lash is starting in order to correct the problem. If it begins on the initial start of the pitch, you have to set the brake tension or centrifugal weights to a higher setting., the spool speed is faster than the line coming off from the spool during the pitch.If the backlash comes at the end when the lure enters the water, your spool tension knob can control that part.Since your spool tension knob is adjusted lighter, you learn to use your thumb to thumb the spool to stop the spool speed while raising your rod tip to stop the momentum of the jig as it reaches the target and then allow the line to strip off from the spool as the jig falls freely through the water colum.Lifting the rod tip upon jig entry will give you a softer lure landing, more natural, quieter lure presentation. A wider spool has more spool weight from the extra line capacity to get started during the inital spool startup ,therefore less likely to over run the line being pulled off from the pitch or cast presentation.My favorite pitchin' reels are the old Team Daiwa TD2 reels.

Last edited by pig n jig; 11-08-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-08-12, 08:12 PM   #19
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
?????????????????
Lost me!
Light Green Pumpkin

3.0gr
Old 11-08-12, 09:56 PM   #20
keithdog

Just real quick, I don't modify my jigs all that much. Trim the guard so that it is slightly past the hook. And I trim the skirts so they are slightly longer than the hook to allow more action visability from the trailor. I don't thin any skirts as my swim jigs all have a fairly thin skirt already. But here is what I really want to bring up. Skirt thinning. I often use 60 count skirts for my pitchin/casting jigs. Some around the 40 count as well. Both seem to catch bass. Now, everyone recommends using a thin skirt for swim jigs. Many thin it further than it already comes. BUT, this year, I started swimming my regular pitchin jigs with 60 count skirts and guess what? They caught bass! Not just a couple, but just as many as my swim jigs. I thought to myself, give it a try. Pitch here and there, and instead of changing to a swim jig, just try swimming the bigger pitchin jig too. I couldn't tell the difference. My first encounter was with a half ounce jig with the largest size BIG Beaver bait as a trailor. Working it like a slow crankbait, I caught a couple bass right off the bat. Over the summer, the fishing was slow, but that combo caught a few more. After that, I'm not sure skirt thickness has much to do with anything other than control how fast the jig sinks.
Old 11-09-12, 07:38 AM   #21
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFender View Post
Light Green Pumpkin

3.0gr
Rusty, is that a pass through drop-shot jig? (Cabelas) Virtually weightless, they say.
Old 11-09-12, 07:52 AM   #22
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Joe
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Damik...age-DAMTJ.html
Old 11-09-12, 08:01 AM   #23
joedog

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Drops...h-All+Products

My reference, and thanks Rusty.
Old 11-09-12, 11:12 PM   #24
pig n jig

You need something to start with like a 6/0 heavy wire hook and a large profile that you can trim down if desired.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.