Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-15-07, 11:45 AM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default C-rig

What size weight, bead, and swivel do you guys use on your C-rigs?

Also, what kinda' beads do you use. Is it true that the glass beads are no good because they break?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 11:47 AM   #2
skeeter944

most of the time,i use a 3/8 ounce,leader lenght depends on what kind of cover and how active the bass are.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 02:25 PM   #3
Vabass22

1 ounce eggweight, plastic bead, and a barrel swivel. Dont use glass with tungsten, it will break the baed and cut your line. TruTungsten now has a bead made specially for tungsten.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 03:24 PM   #4
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My weight depends the bottom composition, depth, and amount of brush. I don't like a heavy weight to dig deep into a soft bottom, feels too heavy. But you must have a weight that will stay on bottom in deep water. What happens in deep water is that on your retrieve, as the line approaches the boat, a lighter weight will tend to lift off the bottom. However, a lighter weight it easier to pull through brush. As far a beads go, i use a plastic bead on each side of a glass bead.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 03:42 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

[
Mont lunker hunter, what size beads? The BPS catalogue has a bunch of different sizes. This makes it even harder to decide what to buy.
Old 01-15-07, 06:47 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

W2BF, you want the bead to be at least BB size. Rather than order from BPS go to a craft store. They carry just about any size/material you could want, and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck. I use either Lindy Rattlin' No-Snagg sinkers or a large and small tungsten weight, but when I used the conventional egg sinker and bead the difference between the beads I got at the craft store and what BPH has was the packaging and the price.

I always used glass beads for the louder click and never had one cut my line, and can only remembering one or two breaking.
Old 01-15-07, 06:54 PM   #7
JB

walmart has a fabric/sewing center that sells beads too if that helps
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 06:57 PM   #8
mont_lunker_hunter

I have several different sizes. In my opinion, you'll have to experiment because different sizes make different sounds. Most of the time though i try to stick with a bead that is smaller in diameter than my weight. This allows the edges of your weight to protect the bead (especially when it's a glass one)
Old 01-16-07, 10:30 AM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Thanks for the info guys. So I need to get a couple different weights and glass beads (BB size). How bout the leader? Is is good to use a different (and stronger) line for the leader?
Old 01-16-07, 05:10 PM   #10
mont_lunker_hunter

I normally use beads larger than BB size, probably pea size. I use a weaker flourocarbon leader. This allows your leader to break instead of your main line. That way, you don't loose your weights, beads, or swivel.
Old 01-16-07, 05:17 PM   #11
jrw7878
BassFishin.Com Member

I like heavy weight 3/4 to 1 oz with that will dig into the bottom and stir it up a little. I use about a 18" to 24" leader usually p-line cx premium in the 12lb to 20lb range depending on water clarity and cover. My main line is usually p-line cxx or big game 25lb. I like a lighter line for the leader so it will break first and i dont have to retie the whole rig, and in my opinion the lighter line gives the bait a better action.
jrw7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 05:47 PM   #12
Rebbasser

W2BF, I use 50 lb braid as my main line and 17 lb Fluoro for the leader.

jrw, welcome to the forum! Always glad to see a fellow Texan join.
Old 01-16-07, 07:44 PM   #13
zooker

i almost never use any thing other than a 1/2 oz lead egg sinker. to big a sinker digs in yes but you lose feel on the bait. with a 1/2 oz egg sinker you can feel the sinker than the bait bumping bottom with mono.. i use mono on my c-rig i may retie only twice aday..i fish alot of rock/rubble bottom lakes..

leader is the most misunderstood comcept..i like 18 " leader in early summer after alot of fishing pressure i move to a 36" leader..

zooker
Old 01-16-07, 09:18 PM   #14
jrw7878
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks red!
jrw7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:54 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Thanks for the info guys. So I need to get a couple different weights and glass beads (BB size). How bout the leader? Is is good to use a different (and stronger) line for the leader?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
I normally use beads larger than BB size, probably pea size. I use a weaker flourocarbon leader. This allows your leader to break instead of your main line. That way, you don't loose your weights, beads, or swivel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
W2BF, I use 50 lb braid as my main line and 17 lb Fluoro for the leader.

jrw, welcome to the forum! Always glad to see a fellow Texan join.
Well lot's of folks using flouro leaders, however on a c-rig I prefer Braid or Mono for it's bouyancy. I want the bait up floating if possible, so I use a more bouyant leader. Mono usually because it's easier to break of instead of losing the whole rig.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 01-17-07 at 09:04 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 03:30 PM   #16
mont_lunker_hunter

lizards, when i want that sort of presentation, i use 3X baits (even though i hate them)
Old 01-17-07, 09:05 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
lizards, when i want that sort of presentation, i use 3X baits (even though i hate them)
Why not use both LOL. I love the 3X stuff, and also Snapback brand because they float. I prefer to have sonmething that isn't draggin on the bottom other than the wieght/bead/swivel when c-rigging.

Lizards
Old 01-19-07, 02:36 AM   #18
Jolly

Lizard, I had never though about the line rising aiding the bait... that's a great point!! I guess I'm different then everyone else, I use 3/8 oz at the heaviest (mostly, but some 1/2 oz but for only deeper then 30'). I usually use 20 lb big game as the main and 12 lb p-line for the leader. I use an 18-36" leader depending upon what time of structure i am fishing etc. Beads, get em' at a craft store, bought pea size. You want to look for a bead with a large enough hole to stick your knot into. It will protect your knot from the beads and weight hitting it over and over. I use the light weight because some bites are hard to recognize... specially with a lot of line out and a heavy weight. Usual bites for me are just extra weight on the line rather then a tap tap or a tug... so that little less weight really helps decipher the bite. However, getting the bait down takes a little more time but, I definately recognize more bites. I don't really buy into the hole mud trail thing... mainly because I fish a worm or something resembling a small baitfish rather then creature baits 99% of the time, plus there isn't much mud in the lake I fish, only trees and rocks, plus I've never seen anything making a mud trail many yards long underwater... IMO. No matter how long your leader, what bead you have, what lure your using, you absolutely need a good rod to fish a carolina rig effectively. It cant be too stiff or you won't feel those subtle weight differences or taps, but it has to be strong enough to pull 70 yards of line through a brush pile 40' under water. I use a Falcon 7' med/hvy rod and it seems to work best for me. The longer the better... more length to adjust to the amount of line out and the stretch in most lines. Hope that helps and sorry for the long post.

Jolly
Old 02-05-07, 03:12 PM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

Thanks Jolly . . .

So, with everyone's help, I think I got most of it covered. I need pea size glass beads, 1/2 oz - 1 oz weight, and 18 -36" leader. Only one more question . . . what size swivel do I need?
Old 02-05-07, 09:49 PM   #20
skeeter944

I use some swivels that came in a catfish kit from wally world. It doesnt really matter,but get something about medium size.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 11:30 PM   #21
Jolly

whichever ones cheapest, LOL!!

Jolly
Old 02-06-07, 08:31 PM   #22
zooker

ball bearing swivel only..

i used to rarely use a carolina rig. then i met a man named Casey.. who is probly one of the most sucessful/luckest carolina rig fisherman i know.. after having been handed several whippins but his "Casey rig" you start to figure out the carolina rig's potential.. i belive this guy uses a spider grub or a lizard-never seen him use anything else- i spent the last summer using the "Casey rig" to great effect..
i have 2 c-rig rods both 7 foot both heavy action..one a fenwick techna av the other a falcon lizard dragger...

there is basicly two schools of method those that pump and those that sweep.. to pump is pulling the bait along till the rod til is at 11oclock or so. the sweep is a bit tricker but it has better feel imo.. though you have to reset for a hook set with the sweep method..

zooker
Old 02-09-07, 04:08 PM   #23
bassnman30

3/4 oz. true tungsten weight. A true tungsten bead, and a black swivel. All these items are black. If you use a shiny swivel, or a shiny weight you may get strikes by other than L/M bass. Pan fish can pick up your bait and it feels like a bass.
You pump the bait in areas where you might get hung up. You can drag the bait where there is no danger hanging up the bait.
17 flouro. main line and 14 lb flouro as the leader.
Old 02-10-07, 12:11 AM   #24
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2

Well this is what I have found, tungsten is better then anything for c-rigs. I have switch to the barrel type but depending on structure my opt for the bullet style. Line- I have been using mono but I am wondering about braid maybe in the 30# range. I have a flipping set-up that I use braid and tungsten and I will tell you there is nothing like it but I wonder if braid will alter the action of the c-rig. I have been experimenting and I emphazies experimenting, with cajun red line in the 10# range.

My question is this, if you use braid for your c-rig is that the only technique you use that rod for?

If you use mono, generally what is the water clarity in relation to the line size you choose?

I believe you need a little give in the leader if your main line is fairly stout, there are many mono's out there with little stretch. I think that 25# test is just too heavy for me. I am currently using 15#berkely bg and with no problems. But again I am fishing sparse vegetation or open water with grass bottom. I personally believe that the 3x baits are the way to go not only because they float but they will suspend if you leave it there. In cold water that it what has helped me.
I can recall a tourney in which this guy was fishing a c-rig and was catching fish when nothing else seemed to work. He was using 3/8oz lead and Zoom finesse red bug worm. 4lbs and better back-to-back, I witness it myself. He gave the spot to another guy in the club and the same worms. Told him how to fish that spot and I tell you that guy never caught a thing.

Last edited by usngsm2; 02-10-07 at 12:17 AM.
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 04:03 PM   #25
Rebbasser

Quote:
My question is this, if you use braid for your c-rig is that the only technique you use that rod for?
Yes, but I like to have technique-specific rods. The rod I use is a Falcon Low Rider Carolina Lizard Dragger rod which is a 7' H action. I could also use it for flipping, worms, and jigs and frogs if I wanted to.

Braid for me is mandatory on a C-rig. With the heavier weights that are used you get longer casts, and braid helps you feel bites better and set the hook better due to it's sensitivity and it's low/no stretch. I just add a fluorocarbon leader. I use 50 lb Powerpro braid because I like the geen color it has and the 50 lb line is the same diameter as 12 lb mono, which is what I use on most of my other baitcasters that are spooled with mono.

Instead of tungsten weights, though I use a Lindy No-Snagg sinker. It is a banana shaped weight that rattles and comes through rocks better than an egg sinker-I fish a lot of rocky lakes. I like to use 2 tungsten barrel sinkers when I can-they put out a great click when they hit together.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.