Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-11-07, 07:23 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Jig and Rig Rod - - - Part TWO

Hey guys, think I got a rod picked out for jiggin and C-Riggin. It's a Croix 6'6'' MH Fast action Avid Casting Series. $170.00, 1 piece, 4.6 ounces. Would this be a decent choice for PNJ and C-Riggin? What reel should I match it up with?
Old 09-11-07, 08:20 PM   #2
pig n jig

In my opinion, I would recommend at least a 7' rod for these 2 lure presentations.Saint Croix actions tend to run a bit heavier than the majority of rod companies, so you can expect the MH action to compare to a heavy action of another brand. This is a double edged sword, fine for flipping and carolina rigging, but if you intend to pitch jigs alot of the time, you are going to notice the heavier action blank will wear you out from extra arm movement needed to get the jig under motion to pitch to the intended target.Saint Crow avid series is a good choice,You might want to consider a G Loomis IMX for about the same amount of money if you can find fatfish's site.I bought a IMX for $165.00 from him and I also own the avid series rods.The IMX feels lighter in weight. The reel,I think the Shimano H.E.G. design is worth the extra weight, it is a great reel design for heavy duty use, or for the long haul. Overbuilt is a better description, but if weight is an issue, then I would look elsewhere, I also own the Revo and I really like it alot, it just depends on what you want ?P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 08:25 PM   #3
lunker-lander

I primarily plan to cast these jigs on deep(5-15) foot flats and ledges. As for flipping and pitiching, just around docks every now and then. Does this change your theory any?
Old 09-11-07, 08:36 PM   #4
pig n jig

I am not always correct, For carolina fishing, you may find that you will want the longer rod tip as for you sweep the rod to the side on the hookset and the longer rod will allow you to to catch up to the fish easier by lifting your rod tip higher taking up line slack.However in saying that, I sometimes fish jigs in deeper water with a 6'6" rod, instead of a longer rod. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 09:34 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I am not always correct, P N J
At least your honest about not knowing everything rotflmao. Good to see ya back my friend

Lizards
Old 09-12-07, 04:07 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LL, I was having trouble picking out a rod for jigs, but I decided to go with a homemade rod. the apoxy is actually setting right now on the cork handle. we should be able to turn it on the lathe tomarrow if we get time. anyways, it's 7'6" and says its M power, but its actually between MH and H the power if marked verylow for what it actually is. the rod blank is actually designed as a flippin stick because, with the exception of my pond, flipping and pitching is what I'm going to be doing.

hope your rod works out for you like i'm hoping mine will for me.

bb144
Old 09-16-07, 06:21 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Well guys, set-up is complete, just waiting for delivery day(rod tomorrow, reel and line wednesday). Finally ordered my reel today, a Pflueger Supreme LPL with 12lb. test P-Line Flourocarbon. Cant wait to get it and go C-Riggin'. Slammed 'em today at a local pond with a Pumpkin/Chart. YUM Dinger with a samll(1/32 ounce) split shot 15 inches above the worm.Will post when I get rod/reel.
Old 09-17-07, 04:20 PM   #8
lunker-lander

Well, I got 'er and man is she sweet!!!! 7' of pure bad-***-medium-heavy-but-kickin-St.-Croix-power. Can not wait to get the reel and line wednesday, will post when I get that stuff.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.