Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-08-05, 07:47 PM   #1
StealthCharging
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to StealthCharging
Default jig fishin

wondering how to choose the weight and color of your jig and what condition to fish it under
StealthCharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 07:49 PM   #2
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: jig fishin

Buddy i cant catch jack diddley on them
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 08:27 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

the color really depends on the water color. bright colors for clear water and dark colors for muddy or stained water
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 08:30 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I am yet to catch anything on a jig, but most definitely am working on it.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 08:38 PM   #5
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

color mostly depends on water color like bassfisher said. I like black/blue for stained or muddy water, and use a natural color like pumpkin when fishing clear water. I never use anything under 1/2oz but i sometimes use a smaller jig like a bitsy bug when the fish are under alot of fishing pressure, gives them a different look. as for condtions, any condition is good for a jig, but usually when they are hanging tight to cover in shallow water.
Old 02-08-05, 08:42 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Southern, I fish 1/2 oz. to 1oz. jigs. I do not beleive that you have to use lighter jigs than 3/8 oz.Pick any color you want,I like black/red, but I caught them on every color manufactured.I like the round bend hook rather than a wide gap hook,and I like the line tie eye horizontal as the jig sits upright or recessed in the head if the eye is vertical.I use 30 lb Tuf-Line braid on Castaway Bud Pruitt flipping sticks.For the trailers, I like alot of different ones but my favorites are the Zoom lil critter craws,Yum 2.75" chunk,zoom super chunk jr, and Gene Larew craws.I do not always run the same trailer color as jig skirt color, I think it helps sometimes,by giving a different contrast that the fish hasn't seen before.Flip or pitch where the fish is going to hide. Big fish don't get big by chasing baits down , they stay at home so you have to put the jig in their home, not in the general area. I hope this helps. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 08:44 PM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Well, My favorite color is Blue, with a blue Pork trailer. I generally use a 3/8oz, unless i am fishing deep water or need to punch through heavy cover.I find a 3/8oz jig with a pork frog has just about the ideal fall rate for colder water, with enough bulk and size to temp all sizes of fish.

JMO
Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 09:13 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well I'm by no means a PNJ expert, but my favorite colors are Green Pumpkin, and Green Pumpkin. I also like the YUM chunks like PNJ.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 01:15 PM   #9
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

any color will work as long as its black! Weight can be chosen based on depth and cover. Obviously the deeper you need to go or the thicker the cover you need to penetrate, the heavier the jig should be.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 05:05 PM   #10
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

Not catchin fish with a JIG? ok......
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 08:22 PM   #11
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

keep hammering away with the pnj 's guys i have been beating one for only 9 months and have caught only 2 bass on them. i have zero confidence in them and have not caught a fish over 2 pounds on one yet... but i keep beating this dead horse cause some poeple catch huge fish on these dam things.

yeah i don't throw one during a tourny yet...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 09:47 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i have caught 1 bass(1-2lbs) on a jig. i have this red and blue and black jig with a rattle type thing that go's around the hook and i put a black zoom trick worm on it as a trailor and for some reason i have alot of confidence in it. every time i see submerged timber or cypress knees in the water i always get it out and use it.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 10:18 PM   #13
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I used them a little last summer, caught a bass or two but never had them really on a jig pattern. I've been using the black/blue combination with a blue pork trailer. I've been trying to get on the jig bandwagon for some time cause they are supposed to be this great go to bait, but I guess the secret is you have to already be a dang good fisherman to use them effectively.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 10:29 AM   #14
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

Well while you guys are out on the water, I'm having to keep my skills up by pitching and flipping in the house into a spaghetti pot while standing on a step stool. Good thing I have ice fishing to keep me occupied too. Regarding j-n-p's though I've had good consistent success with black and blue 3/8oz jig and black Zoom trailer. Fish them around docks, and pads. Have caught them swimming it through early spring grass. Just purchased some Mann's Stone jigs 1/2oz and 3/8oz. Going to work at learning to skip em. P.S. if your swimming them I like White with a White double tail chomper trailer.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 02:21 PM   #15
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

The jig is a total confidence bait. Unlike a worm or Senko, which can be literally eaten by a bass, a jig gets engulfed and spit out rather quickly if you are not careful. You will have a tough time merely line watching, in fact I believe I have felt abouy 95% of the bass that have hit my jigs over the past 20 years. This is to say that I've caught literally thousands and maybe ten thousand fish on this bait. A couple of tips that helped me learn this bait:

1-you must be set in learning it and not fall back on your strength techniques when you are not experiencing success. Give it an honest shot

2-If you have a pond around that is just loaded with fish, even small ones, give it a shot there, once you get that first bite and set up, you will never forget the feel of the bite, this is likely the biggest problem with guys who don't fish the bait.

3-Learn to weigh the line. If you know what the bait feels like without being snagged or having a fish on the end of your line, anything else is likely a bite. Know what a 3/8oz jig feels like in the water.

4-Set the hook when in doubt. This is not a bait that a bass will hold for long periods of time. When I feel a strike I set up immediately, no matter what the season.

5-IMHO, the jig is a one strike/one fish in the boat bait. When you start hammering them with it, you'll likely agree.

I built a bait company based on a small jig that has blossomed intosomething much larger in the past few years. There is a reason this bait has been so successful over the years. good luck!
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 05:19 PM   #16
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

You have to be completely in tune with the bait and what it is doing at all times. 90% of all jig strikes occur on the fall, so when flipping/pitching, remember that. If the bait stops before it should, set the hook. It might be a fish. If you lift the bait to work it and it feels heavy, set the hook. I bet you guys that are not catching many or any on it are most likly getting more strikes than you realize.
Another thing. Black/Blue, while an effective color, get used to death. Give the fish a new look. I still use it, but I switched last year from B/B as my primary color, to junebug as my Primary color. Strike ratio went up.

The fish are there, and they will bite a jig. And yes, you have the potential, every time you get a strike on a JNP, for it to be a toad.

Keep trying.
You'll get it right.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 11:09 PM   #17
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Earthworm, you've been hot lately with some GREAT INFO Keep it up, even a dummy like me might learn modulus ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.