Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-11-04, 08:26 PM   #1
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default what size hook for senko's

thanks in advance... ;D ;D ;D
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-04, 09:16 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: what size hook for senko's

I use 3/0 EWG Gamakatsu hooks. Anything 3/0 or 4/0 EWG will be fine.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 12:12 AM   #3
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I use 5/0 X-tra Heavy Hookerz EWG myself. With the 5/0, you get a bigger bite area and with the extra heavy you get a little extra casting distance.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 12:43 AM   #4
OhioBass

i think im gonna stick with 3/o
Old 09-13-04, 12:11 AM   #5
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

I know their's a lot of people out there that will say "way too big" but oh well. I've always used gamagatsu 5/0 EWG on 5 inch senkos or senko type baits. I will use 4/0 (only if I run out of 5/0). I've just found my hook-ups to be much more consistent this way.

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 02:59 AM   #6
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

When the fish is active and / or deep inside the brush or lillies I use gamagatsu 5/0 EWG with 18 - 20lb line.

But I have seen when the fish are suffering from "lockjaw" I have seen it is worth it to downsize to 8lb line and fish the senko weightless. With the lighter you will get better hooksets by using light 3/0 hooks.

Got a great one yesterday using just that!
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 03:03 AM   #7
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik

I havent used senko's yet, but I really want to!
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 06:49 AM   #8
bassguy2004

3/0 mainly. 5/0 on larger worms. ie: 8 to 10"
Old 09-13-04, 09:49 PM   #9
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I use extra-wide-gap hooks in a few different brands. For the 4" Senko I use a 3/0 and a 4/0 for the 5".
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 05:15 AM   #10
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

The size of the hook you use should directly affect the rate of fall. The size of the hook itself is not the main thing you should be worried about. Its the weight of the hook. Of course larger hooks are heavier than smaller hooks. This directly effects the rate of fall of your lure. With senkos, I like to start out with a smaller hook, maybe a 2/0 or 3/0 gammy. This will allow the bait to drop slowly. If this doesn't work, then I will go to a bigger hook. Like a 4/0 or 5/0 Owner, or Gammy. This will allow the bait to fall a lot faster. Bass don't really give a care about the size of the hook you are using. Its all about presentation.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 09:15 AM   #11
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Good Point MT.....

I use the Gammy and XPS 2/0 regular worm hooks, bent shaft, O'Shaunessy (sp) type....but I go further about preventing a fast rate of fall. I don't use Senko or Senko Knockoffs....I just use the bodies from Zoom Speedworms with the tails removed.....much slower fall...and they work very well....especially in watermelon/red. They simulate the senko size and shape very well, but give the bass a much longer look on the fall.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 08:56 PM   #12
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=mtbassman77 link=board=news;num=1094945183;start=0#9 date=09/17/04 at 04:15:23] With senkos, I like to start out with a smaller hook, maybe a 2/0 or 3/0 gammy. This will allow the bait to drop slowly. If this doesn't work, then I will go to a bigger hook. Like a 4/0 or 5/0 Owner, or Gammy. This will allow the bait to fall a lot faster. [/quote]
MT, I don't understand how it can fall a "lot faster", at least from a mathematical point of view. I weighed some VMC extra-wide-gaps on an imprecise scale. But I figured about .0125 oz. for a 2/0 and .0375 for a 4/0.

A 5" Senko weighs approximately .375 oz. So the total weight of lure and hook is .3875 with a 2/0 and .4125 with a 4/0, or an increase of about 6.5%. If the fall rate is solely a function of weight, then an increase of 6.5% doesn't seem like a lot to me. If it takes 10 seconds to fall 10' with the 2/0, then it would take about 9.35 seconds with the 4/0.

Of course, with heavier hooks and/or smaller Senkos, the rate will increase, but it still seems to me with relatively heavy lures like Senkos, that these increases in fall rates are still fairly small. Whether these small increases make a significant difference to the bass is not something that I'm qualified to comment on.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I have always wondered about this subject of hook size and fall rate.

By the way, you said the bass doesn't care what size hook; agreed, but I care. If the gap isn't large enough relative to the bait, then I lose confidence. Maybe it will still hook the fish, but it doesn't matter if I don't have the confidence to fish it.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 09:59 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Marty link=board=news;num=1094945183;start=0#11 date=09/17/04 at 19:56:49]
MT, I don't understand how it can fall a "lot faster", at least from a mathematical point of view. I weighed some VMC extra-wide-gaps on an imprecise scale. But I figured about .0125 oz. for a 2/0 and .0375 for a 4/0.

A 5" Senko weighs approximately .375 oz. So the total weight of lure and hook is .3875 with a 2/0 and .4125 with a 4/0, or an increase of about 6.5%. If the fall rate is solely a function of weight, then an increase of 6.5% doesn't se
em like a lot to me. If it takes 10 seconds to fall 10' with the 2/0, then it would take about 9.35 seconds with the 4/0.

Of course, with heavier hooks and/or smaller Senkos, the rate will increase, but it still seems to me with relatively heavy lures like Senkos, that these increases in fall rates are still fairly small. Whether these small increases make a significant difference to the bass is not something that I'm qualified to comment on.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I have always wondered about this subject of hook size and fall rate.

By the way, you said the bass doesn't care what size hook; agreed, but I care. If the gap isn't large enough relative to the bait, then I lose confidence. Maybe it will still hook the fish, but it doesn't matter if I don't have the confidence to fish it.
[/quote]

IN MY OPINION The difference is noticeable if you fish alot of WEIGHTLESS PLASTICS. My theory is that with the little bit of extra weight, it make the end fall more verticle, therfor less water reisitance. However this is based on a t-rig situation, on wacky rigging I believe it makes little difference as you stated. Also if you don't fish WEIGHTLESS, then the difference is again negligble, since the weight does the same thing as the heavier hook does anyway, plus it's not as much of a FEEL IMO . Now since I fish weightless all the time, I do notice a difference in the fall rate with bigger hooks. And also since my PREFERRED Brand is OWNER, which is a heavier guage wire, then I will normally use a 2/0 wide gap offset hook, or move up to a 3/0 when I want a little different FEEL. I notice the difference, but since I fish this way alot, perhaps I'm more in tuned to it than those whose use weights, or other baits.

By the way, some outstanding discussions here on this thread , it's been a while since I've been interested in a Senko post

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 10:34 PM   #14
OhioBass

thanks alot everyone...what a post lizards...lol you know your stuff
Old 09-19-04, 08:38 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

wow im surprised nothin perverted came out that time
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 04:55 AM   #16
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

In bass fishing a lot of the time its the slightest things that matter. First of all I wasn't speaking from a mathmatical point of view, I was speaking from a fish's point of view. Last time I checked a bass could not do math. 6.5% may not seem like a lot to most people, but to a bass that could mean the difference in eating a bait and just watching it pass by. Now we all know that fall rate is not solely dependent on the weight of the lure or hook. Water temp., salinity of the bait, size of the bait, water displacement, all of this has something to do with the fall rate, but the post didn't call for that, its just called for hook size. Good fishing to everyone.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 08:14 AM   #17
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default I Re: what size hook for senko's

In this case, I'd agree with Marty in that so little difference in overall weight would not, in all probability, make a difference either way in the appearance of the falling lure.

But I'd also agree with MTBassman that small things do make a difference often in bass fishing.

What does make a great difference in fishing lures weightless, however, is not the hook, but the weight of the lure itself. I'm thinking the slower the fall, the better and more natural the fall.....at least it has been my experience that the lighter the lure, the better. This also correlates with an observation made by an experienced fisherman from another board who stated that if a fish has a choice between a heavier and lighter lure, all other factors being equal, the fish will prefer the lighter.

I'm still using the body from a zoom speed worm to emulate a senko and am still slow falling it in presenting it to the bass. It just works well. No internal salt to weight it down.

Fishing for smallmouth on the reservoir, my wife and I were dropping lures near rafts of floating wood along the rocky shore. I was using the zoom speedworm body minus the tail and she was using the internally salted zoom clone, both lures in watermelon/red, both lures texposed on gammy worm hooks. After an hour of fishing them....I had caught and released 6 smallies to her 1.

This one is for MT (little differences can mean a lot)....

Fishing a ledge with a buddy from the same boat....we were both using 4 inch black Slider worms and both had 1/16 weight. I was doing the same thing he was...casting up on the ledge and when reaching the edge, letting the worm fall on a tight line. I had caught ten to his two when he took off his 1/16 bullet weight and hook and replaced them with a flat headed snagless slider head hook to match the one I was using....giving the worm more of a glide off the ledge than a nose down plummet.

As for the hook, the bass probably don't know what it's for and as long as you are getting good hookups on whatever you use, that's the one to stick with. With the zoomies (speedworm bodies in watermelon/red) I'm still using the 2/0 offset shaft worm hooks by Gammy and XPS. If I do use an EWG or a larger hook sometime, I'll place it just a little more aft in the worm body to insure a flat horozontal fall.

Good fishng, Mac

mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.