Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-12, 11:56 AM   #1
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wakcy Rigging Hook Size

When ya'll wacky rig, what hook/hook size do you typically use? And how much does size really matter in this situation?

Thanks guys!!!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:15 PM   #2
crazyju
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a larger 3/0 with a wire weed guard.
crazyju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 02:12 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like these for almost all wacy rigs - weeds or no weed. I like a 2/0 for senko, go down to a 1/0 for a worm.

Gamagatsu - they also make a wide gap "wacky" hook with week guard, but I prefer this one.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 02:54 PM   #4
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Whats the retrieve method for wacky worming? I tried this today using a straight tail worm doesnt look like much action to me but I was using circle hook with 12lb flouro probably wrong setup
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 03:11 PM   #5
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like a 1/0 Owner Wacky hook.
I normally fish them on 8lb. flouroclear for light cover and then texas rig w/ heavier line if the cover is really heavy. For me wacky rigging is more target oriented, I see a spot, cast, let it sink to the bottom and deadstick it for as long as I can stand, sometimes move a few feet, and then reel it in.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 04:37 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Skip a wacky rig senko under docks or over hanging trees, bushes or ledges. Let it fall until it hits bottom. I usually pick it up one time, by lifting rod about 12", when it hits bottom again time for another cast. It will also work in between clumps of vegetation or in front of a weed edge. With the weed guard hooks also throw it up on a grass mat and pull to the edge and let fall over the edge to the bottom.
Old 04-27-12, 06:06 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I like these for almost all wacy rigs - weeds or no weed. I like a 2/0 for senko, go down to a 1/0 for a worm.

Gamagatsu - they also make a wide gap "wacky" hook with week guard, but I prefer this one.
My answer exactly! You must really know your stuff Bruce!
Old 04-27-12, 10:11 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

Hey Mr. I try to use the smallest hook that I can...usually #1 not 1/0...but if you're using a 6" senko you might want a 2/0. I like using the short shank drop shot style hooks

@Mclovin....spend some time watching how the wacky worm responds to different retrieves in shallow water or the pool. I have caught fish dead sticking one in 20+ ft and popping it really quick in 1 ft...with almost the same action I'd give to a hard jerk bait. It's a fun bait to fish and very productive.
Old 04-27-12, 10:40 PM   #9
Jrob78

I like the Gamakatsu Drop Shot/Split Shot hooks in a 1/0. If I'm fishing a weighted wacky rig, I like the Mustad Weedless Weighted hooks in 1/0, it's a much larger hook though.
Old 04-27-12, 11:58 PM   #10
joedog

I have and use Wicked Wackey gamies 2/0, 1/0 but to be truefull, I find myself using a plain wide gap !/0 and 2/0 as much as anything. I like to switch back and forth texas and wacky. If weedy and I know I'm going to wacky fish it, I'll use the gammies.
Old 04-28-12, 10:24 AM   #11
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use a size 1 circle hook... I think? I think it's a little on the small side, but I don't think I've had much trouble hooking up. I'm gonna switch over to 1/0 and see how they work next time I need to buy hooks.
Old 04-28-12, 10:42 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
I like to switch back and forth texas and wacky.
My solution for that, and I should have mentioned it earlier, wacky vs. T-rig means more than a hook difference for me. T-rig I fish on a MH casting rod, Wacky it's a MH spinning rod. I think the bait falls more vertical with spin gear and if I need to skip it under something spinning gear is what I need because I can't skip a baitcaster with any consistancy.
Old 05-03-12, 07:32 AM   #13
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Im weird, i prefer a 4/0 size gamakatsu for wacky rigged, and i use the O rings from BPS on the wacky rig. Wacky rig is what I have caught 70% of my fish on this spring, and it is deffinately a deadly, any time of the day technique
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 03:20 PM   #14
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigBass View Post
Im weird, i prefer a 4/0 size gamakatsu for wacky rigged, and i use the O rings from BPS on the wacky rig. Wacky rig is what I have caught 70% of my fish on this spring, and it is deffinately a deadly, any time of the day technique
I'm with this guy, Big ol 3/0 - 4/0 wide gap, Your good to go. Them little hooks can bend if you get a nice fish on.
"Big Hook Big Fish"
Old 05-11-12, 01:17 PM   #15
Panthrosan

I too use regular EWG hooks, usually 3/0, because I switch from Texas rigging and wacky back and forth depending on what the fish want. I have caught 5lbers on the setup and little tiny bass as well so I don't think the size or visibility of the hook matters too much except for Crystal clear lakes.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 01:34 PM   #16
damian2b

I scale down big time for the reservoirs in my area. I use 4 inch senkos with size 2 split shot gammy hooks. for me its go small or go home when going wacky.
Old 05-13-12, 07:10 PM   #17
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

seems to me that everyone has their own preference on this type of thing, anyone make their own weed guards for their hooks? I find most hooks on the market for wacky rig are cheap.
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 09:14 PM   #18
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I use a size 1 circle hook... I think? I think it's a little on the small side, but I don't think I've had much trouble hooking up. I'm gonna switch over to 1/0 and see how they work next time I need to buy hooks.
I use 1/0 circles myself. I'd bet the number of fish missed/lost last year was 5 or under.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.