Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-28-09, 11:46 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Jigs--not flippin & pitchin?

I got an old Roland Martin book last week in the mail, and he was talking about jigs. Well, since this was an older book (60's, 70's), it was talking about "jigging" them, casting them out in deep water around brush, and pilings, and lifting the rod from 2:00 to 12:00 slowly, keeping a tight line and letting setting it down.

Anyone still do this with jigs, never really heard it before, seems like a dead tequice to me.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-28-09, 12:26 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Yes. Or you can let the pendulum swing. It's a slow technique, but it'll catch the big ones if they're suspending around ledges or bluffs.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 12:47 PM   #3
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

When you say "dead" technique, do you mean that no one uses it? To me it seems similiar to stroking a jig on KY Lake. Different name for the same thing maybe? Anyway, just because it is an old technique doens't mean it can't be effective. Try it and let the fish tell ya if it works.
paducahbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 01:20 PM   #4
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I got an old Roland Martin book last week in the mail, and he was talking about jigs. Well, since this was an older book (60's, 70's), it was talking about "jigging" them, casting them out in deep water around brush, and pilings, and lifting the rod from 2:00 to 12:00 slowly, keeping a tight line and letting setting it down.

Anyone still do this with jigs, never really heard it before, seems like a dead tequice to me.

What are your thoughts?
Dead ? not really, jigging jigs is as old as jigs themsleves, I do it when I need to, old ? as jigs themselves ..... but now that I come to think about it, I´m relatively "old".
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 02:14 PM   #5
Bassboss

thanks!

Hmm, by dead, I mean under used, or forgotten.
Old 05-28-09, 11:37 PM   #6
Rebbasser

I do that a whole lot more than flipping/pitching. I've been fishing them like a T-rig for years.
Old 05-29-09, 12:33 AM   #7
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BB, that technique was part of the 2008 BASS Classic champ Alton Jones one,two punch on Lake Hartwell. He slowly jigged his Booyah A-jig in deepwater and alternated with a Booyah Pigskin football jig that he simply crawled across the same area. Some fish would only hit the jig on a small hop(jiggin) others would take it off the bottom when it was dragged.
Old 05-29-09, 09:24 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset on 3 View Post
BB, that technique was part of the 2008 BASS Classic champ Alton Jones one,two punch on Lake Hartwell. He slowly jigged his Booyah A-jig in deepwater and alternated with a Booyah Pigskin football jig that he simply crawled across the same area. Some fish would only hit the jig on a small hop(jiggin) others would take it off the bottom when it was dragged.

Hnmm, thanks hookset!

Looks like this was used more than I thought!

What kind of trailer was he using? A chunk or a worm?
Old 05-29-09, 01:03 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Hnmm, thanks hookset!

Looks like this was used more than I thought!

What kind of trailer was he using? A chunk or a worm?
Which kind of trailer he was using should not matter to you, chunk, craw, worm grub, the type of trailer you are going to use depends a lot on the conditions, those are what makes you select one or the other.

Fishing is like cooking BB, you got the recipe, even if you follow the recipe step by step the result between you, me and somebody else will vary even using the same ingredients, the result is largely determined by how you cook the cook the ingredients, from there its may come a bad, regular, good or great meal.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:10 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Which kind of trailer he was using should not matter to you, chunk, craw, worm grub, the type of trailer you are going to use depends a lot on the conditions, those are what makes you select one or the other.

Fishing is like cooking BB, you got the recipe, even if you follow the recipe step by step the result between you, me and somebody else will vary even using the same ingredients, the result is largely determined by how you cook the cook the ingredients, from there its may come a bad, regular, good or great meal.
Cool! That's raul, great anagly!

So I should just try differnt things, let the fish tell me!

I know that the water temps are in the 80's do odviosly I should use an ation traile, like a worm or chunch shuch as rage tail!
Old 05-31-09, 03:29 AM   #11
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Funny I have never flipped or pitched with a jig, i only fish jigs in cold water and I only jig them. Cast on a ledge or fish steeper rock shoreline and hop them along, works great.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 07:48 PM   #12
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
Funny I have never flipped or pitched with a jig, i only fish jigs in cold water and I only jig them. Cast on a ledge or fish steeper rock shoreline and hop them along, works great.
I also fish them in cold deep water, but there's so much more you can do with them.
You ought to go to the Delta and try some of that flipping and pitching, its an amazing technique .
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 01:47 PM   #13
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the only way that i fish them is like a t-rig and jig them around brush, rocks, etc.
Old 06-02-09, 04:41 PM   #14
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

So here is my question... The lake I fish pretty regularly from the shore only, since I dont have a boat right now has really steep ledges, lots of rocks and stumps that were cut down to the ground. Would a jig crawl along the bottom be your best bet? Its pretty clear water and is a resevoir. So far I have cranked it to death and have caught one smallmouth (2.75lbs). Thats in about 3 or 4 short evening outings. Thanks in advance!!
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.