Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-05-09, 11:47 AM   #1
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gear ratios

So I know that a low gear ratio should be used for something like crankbaits or slower presentations (5:4:1 or lower right?), and higher ratios for burning baits or faster presentations. Is there a specific ratio that should be used for different techniques of fishing? Similar to the list on this site for what line should be used for different techniques? If anyone has any links to something like that, that would be great.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 11:54 AM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I prefer a higher ratio for jigging worms,plastics and jigs....so if im bouncing the bottom,and got a little too much slack out during a strike...i can react /reel it up quicker for the hook set.....thats my experience anyway
Old 08-05-09, 11:55 AM   #3
MississippiBoy

For your typical spinnerbait/shallower crankbait/worm/jig rod, something around the 6.3:1 ratio will do it all. Anything around the 6.0 or a little higher is a good all-around speed. The bigger, deeper cranks need a slower speed to save your arm/wrist, so yeah, 5.4:1 or lower is probably better. If you're pitching into heavy slop, or in the middle of a lot of brushpiles, then the higher 7.1:1 ratios will typically recover line faster, letting you horse those fish out in a hurry, before they wrap the line around branches or 10 pounds of salad.
Old 08-05-09, 12:04 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
So I know that a low gear ratio should be used for something like crankbaits or slower presentations (5:4:1 or lower right?), and higher ratios for burning baits or faster presentations. Is there a specific ratio that should be used for different techniques of fishing? Similar to the list on this site for what line should be used for different techniques? If anyone has any links to something like that, that would be great.
Almost every reel out there will fall between 4.2:1 and 7.2:1.

Remember that your lure doesn't care what your gear ratio is, only the retrieve speed. Gear ratio is up to your personal preference. If you feel you can do a slow presentation with a high gear ratio, or burn baits through cover by simply reeling faster, more power to you. Choosing the "right" gear ratio for you is just a comfort level thing.

Remember though, when it comes to actually reeling in fish, it isn't just about comfort. Heavy loads are easier to pull with a low ratio, though they may take longer to reel in. On the opposite end...reeling in a small fish with a low ratio might feel like you're spinning your wheels taking too long. But we really don't have much choice in gear ratio once the fish in on the hook. That being said, if I'm deliberately targeting big catfish, I'd rather suffer the little fish on a low ratio than have to fight a big fish with a high ratio. Take the lesser of two evils in a case like that.
Old 08-05-09, 12:04 PM   #5
Bassboss

The slower moving bait, the faster the reel. So for like worms and jigs, go with a faster reel, and for faster moving baits like cranks, the slower the better; There is however one exception, for fat moving baits like spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits, a moderrate retrieve is better, like 6.2:1 or higher. This will give you the speed you need to get bass out of cover faster, where you would typically fish spinnerbaits and buzzbaits!
Old 08-05-09, 12:45 PM   #6
Raul

Why everybody keeps saying spinnerbaits on a high gear ratio reel ?

You guys ever heard of slow rolling ?

Buzzbaits ? oh yeah, those are a lot better on fast reel to keep them on the surface instead of cranking like mad with a slower reel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 01:00 PM   #7
woody

I would say that a reel with a gear rating of about 6, would be a good general purpose reel.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 01:46 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Why everybody keeps saying spinnerbaits on a high gear ratio reel ?

You guys ever heard of slow rolling ?

Buzzbaits ? oh yeah, those are a lot better on fast reel to keep them on the surface instead of cranking like mad with a slower reel.
Slow rolling works, but I find a faster retive is better in thicker cover like pads or reeds though, I bet slow rolling is great around wood and rock though... somethings I don't fish very often!
Old 08-05-09, 06:56 PM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Slow rolling works, but I find a faster retive is better in thicker cover like pads or reeds though, I bet slow rolling is great around wood and rock though... somethings I don't fish very often!
A lot of the places I fish are almost all weeds and lilly pads , most the time that I throw a spinner I am just barely turning the handle enough to keep the blades spinning you just have to pay attention to how the bait feels in the water and the weeds won't be a huge problem .

Jim
Old 08-05-09, 07:24 PM   #10
keithdog

Reels in the 7.0:1 area are great for certain methods and situations as already covered previously. I think the 6.4:1 is a great all purpose reel. A couple things to keep in mind though. You can always slow down a higher speed reels retrieve, but it's harder to speed up a low gear ratio reel without wearing yourself out. But with big cranks, lower ratio is king! One last thing to realize. Another member here recently shared this with me and I'm handing it down to you. Do not just compare gear ratios. Be sure to take a look at the line recovered numbers. You will see that number when you look at the reels in your BPS catalog. We all have a BPS catalog don't we??? The reel statistics will show you how much line is retrieved in inches for each turn of the handle. This is worth taking note of because one reel with a gear ratio of 6.3:1 may not be the same as another reel with the same gear ratio listed.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 07:34 PM   #11
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for that keith. Yeah I remember someone mentioning to check out how much line is retrieved.

Gotta love spending time flipping through the pages of the BPS catalog, you can get lost!
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.