Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-17-13, 10:04 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My Area Gander Mountain

I walked into our local Gander Mountain in NW Indiana and was in shock! They remodeled recently and they have gone 100% hunting. They have NO fishing department anymore, No camping, except a couple items, No regular clothing, just hunting apparel, I didn't even see any pet supplies. I didn't recognize the place. I'm not sure what their reasoning is for this. I guess with BPS and Cabelas, both within a half hours drive, they felt they couldn't compete. But I find that hard to believe. Every time I have been in GM, the fishing isles have always been hopping, to the point where people were always in my way. And all the other departments always seemed to be the same way. This is really a disappointment because of the big 3, GM was the closest and the only place I could get certain things. I could nearly always find what I needed there, often more so than BPS. GM was the only store around who carried Flouroclear in 20 pound test. BPS never has at the store. Only mail order. Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed about it.
Old 06-17-13, 11:50 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, that stinks! What a rotten trick.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 06:26 AM   #3
nobass

wow that really blows
Old 06-18-13, 08:59 AM   #4
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

WOW! If our GM does that we will be stuck driving an hour to Nashville to go to BPS!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 09:17 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Our Gander Mountain has also gotten rid of their fishing department. Ours has become a Gun Supercenter. They brought in a ton of guns and ammo for the grand opening a couple months ago. Its been as busy as I've ever seen our GM since they remodeled. I believe they redid their top stores in the country for gun sales. Our is up there despite being one of the smallest GMs in the country.

I wasn't too disappointed to see the fishing stuff go as it was a small a selection and nothing special. Besides I have a BPS and Cabelas within 30 minutes and Net Craft about 15 minutes away.

BB
Old 06-18-13, 11:16 AM   #6
bassboogieman

That's a shame, but as the economy sinks stores involved in merchandise sales are becoming more specialized in order to survive. I haven't been in a GM for about a year, they along with Den of Iniquity (BPS) and Cabela's are about an hour away. I was at DoI just a week ago and it seems they are "expanding" their own brand at the expense of the name brands more every time I go in there. I am very disappointed with them, it seems they have nothing in the store, other than their own brands and all the "good stuff" is only available on-line. I looked at the store pretty good last week and I am convinced that now 50 - 60% of all the stuff in BPS is their own branded merchandise, be it fishing, clothing, shoes, etc. The only thing they don't have a BPS branded completion item for are the firearms. Sadly Cabela's is following a similar path, but I don't think quite to the extent as BPS.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 05:21 PM   #7
2001kx
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin' Gal View Post
WOW! If our GM does that we will be stuck driving an hour to Nashville to go to BPS!
must be nice
the closest of any big chain fishing store is at least 2.5 hrs from me.
im stuck with only walmart here.
2001kx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 05:59 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001kx View Post
must be nice
the closest of any big chain fishing store is at least 2.5 hrs from me.
im stuck with only walmart here.
That must really stink!
Old 06-18-13, 06:01 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
That's a shame, but as the economy sinks stores involved in merchandise sales are becoming more specialized in order to survive. I haven't been in a GM for about a year, they along with Den of Iniquity (BPS) and Cabela's are about an hour away. I was at DoI just a week ago and it seems they are "expanding" their own brand at the expense of the name brands more every time I go in there. I am very disappointed with them, it seems they have nothing in the store, other than their own brands and all the "good stuff" is only available on-line. I looked at the store pretty good last week and I am convinced that now 50 - 60% of all the stuff in BPS is their own branded merchandise, be it fishing, clothing, shoes, etc. The only thing they don't have a BPS branded completion item for are the firearms. Sadly Cabela's is following a similar path, but I don't think quite to the extent as BPS.
Thank goodness that hasn't happened at our BPS yet. While they carry plenty of their own brand, there is much more private brands available there. But still, there was stuff at GM I couldn't buy at BPS.
Old 06-18-13, 06:08 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Our Gander Mountain has also gotten rid of their fishing department. Ours has become a Gun Supercenter. They brought in a ton of guns and ammo for the grand opening a couple months ago. Its been as busy as I've ever seen our GM since they remodeled. I believe they redid their top stores in the country for gun sales. Our is up there despite being one of the smallest GMs in the country.

I wasn't too disappointed to see the fishing stuff go as it was a small a selection and nothing special. Besides I have a BPS and Cabelas within 30 minutes and Net Craft about 15 minutes away.

BB
I think what GM is doing is responding to an opportunity in the market place. So many companies have decided to eliminate gun sales due to all the regulations DC has put on them, and the threats from the anti gun politicians. Taxes, scrutiny, and so forth have made being a gun/ammo dealer a real PITA! But for a company willing to put up with the hassle, there is a growing market for gun sales growing today.
Old 06-18-13, 08:00 PM   #11
Marty

I had read about this a few months back on a regional forum that's mostly Ohio and Indiana. The Gander here hasn't changed and I'd assume they're doing this based on profitability on a store-by-store basis as opposed to the whole chain.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 08:12 PM   #12
Dave63

If they do that here (in Terre Haute) we are screwed. The only other resort I have other than Wally World is the internet...
Old 06-19-13, 07:06 PM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

we have Lake norman, NCs prime lake you usally here about, it is a massive lake and actually is near both of the ganders in my state, One is the gun supercenter, it does have about 7 ilses of fishing, the one in moorsville (about 5 miles from norman) is massive, then also we have a bps and well bad for me, an accdemy about 3 miles away from my house, thank lord I have my fish fix.. if I lived off of wallworld, tackle warehouse would be my soul choice
Old 06-20-13, 08:02 AM   #14
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
all the "good stuff" is only available on-line.

A subjective statement at best, but one that suggests the demise of "brick & mortar" stores. Bass can be caught on a hook and strip of rabbit hide, still the up and coming angler needs this week's bait du jour to be happy. Look what's happened to your local independent tackle shop and let it be a warning where our own decisions are taking us...

OK, enough of that berating... time to check in at TackleWareHouse.something and drool over the sparkly new drop shot baits!

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 05:53 PM   #15
nobass

was at bowling green ky store today they are still selling fishing gear
Old 06-20-13, 07:50 PM   #16
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

We have a very large and well stocked Gander Store in Ocala.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 06:43 AM   #17
bassboogieman

Quote:
all the "good stuff" is only available on-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
A subjective statement at best, but one that suggests the demise of "brick & mortar" stores. Bass can be caught on a hook and strip of rabbit hide, still the up and coming angler needs this week's bait du jour to be happy. Look what's happened to your local independent tackle shop and let it be a warning where our own decisions are taking us...

OK, enough of that berating... time to check in at TackleWareHouse.something and drool over the sparkly new drop shot baits!

oe
Original quote it taken totally OUT OF CONTEXT!
What I said: I am very disappointed with them, it seems they have nothing in the store, other than their own brands and all the "good stuff" is only available on-line.

Taken in context it is not subjective but relates only to BPS and the selection within my "local" store vs. what they sell on-line. If you want to talk about killing small, local, "mom & pop" stores, let's talk about WalMart that so many love.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-21-13 at 06:50 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 05:53 PM   #18
bassinbob

My local Gander is pretty well stocked with fishing items. The only bad spot is cranks. Tons of Rapalas but one short isle with other brands. There is a Dick's close to the Gander and it's no where near as well stocked as Gander. The only exception to both stores is for the trout fishing guys. I've gotten killer deals at both stores.
Old 06-25-13, 11:59 AM   #19
Bassboss

Wow that really sucks! The Gander in Green Bay actually expanded there fishing section, I guess it's their way of competing with the Cabela's that will be up and running in Green Bay by next month!
Old 06-28-13, 09:21 PM   #20
WTL

The Cabelas near Lambeau field? I drove by there last week, nice looking store.
Old 07-01-13, 12:20 AM   #21
nofearengineer

Wow...I just read this. I wonder if the Evansville GM is doing the same?

If they do, I'll be screwed, as that will leave only Dicks. Dicks is the worst fishing store on the planet.
Old 07-01-13, 07:25 AM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Wow...I just read this. I wonder if the Evansville GM is doing the same?

If they do, I'll be screwed, as that will leave only Dicks. Dicks is the worst fishing store on the planet.
Dicks is pretty bad. The Dicks near us, which is located in the same mall lot as GM has very little in it. More than Kmart but that's about all it has going for them. Tons of Rapala lures if your into those.
Old 07-01-13, 03:32 PM   #23
IUbass

GM in Greenwood (south Indy) has also redone some things... Fishing department is still there... just about half the size.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 12:41 AM   #24
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If they do that here (in Terre Haute) we are screwed. The only other resort I have other than Wally World is the internet...
I Was Just Thinking The Same Thing. Terre Haute Is The Only Place To Buy Around Here
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 01:35 AM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
The Cabelas near Lambeau field? I drove by there last week, nice looking store.
Yes sir, that's the one! Can't wait till they open the doors to that puppy!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.