Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-05-06, 07:23 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Why the Heck are Lucky Craft Lures So Expensive

Okay,
So I get to look at the pointers and all the other lures that luckycraft sells, and it sure doesn't look much dif than whats been out their on the shelfs for years...it seems like a marketing ploy, to attract the anglers with more money than us poor slobs.....I know the action must be dif or better than the other brands, its the only selling point I can think of...but come on, a run of the mill crank bait for 10.99 and others for up to 20dollars + ?
You can take a lure from luckycraft and basically compared it to other brands and ...is there much dif? I'd be afraid of loosin' the dern thing at that price.....I will "give it up to the Sammy"..that did look good, but the rest is overpriced..IMO..not knocking guys that have a ton of them, just not in my budget today ....thankyouverymuch
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 07:25 PM   #2
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the only thing I know of is that they are mostly handpainted, and some people who use them claim that they always run true right out of the package. however, The finishes I see on 3-6 dollar cranks look just fine and I've never had one that didn't run true.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 07:41 PM   #3
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

After you looked at Megabass staff

Sammy .....

I think people just feel better, when they use luxury lures.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 07:42 PM   #4
JB

hand painted? no kiddin..didn't know that....the thing about the good ol USA is that sooner than later someone will copy that luckycraft lure and sell it for 5 bucks...
i can remember down here at Ky. Lake when the classic anglers were buying a "suspending rogue" for the first time, and some guru was selling them to pros for 300 bucks...and in all reality all this guy did was figure out the right amount of buckshot to place inside a rogue, to make it suspend...
the idea had never been thought of before to target suspending football sized smallmouth on ky lake...the guy would drill in the lures in certain chambers, add the weight, epoxy the hole and touch up the paint,, and you're "good to go".....that will be 300 bucks mr fritts .....rofl.
Old 03-05-06, 07:45 PM   #5
JB

nice pic of the sammy, I like the eye placement ..its like the baitfish is looking back at its attacker going "oh sh*t"

Attachment 159

Last edited by JB; 03-12-06 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 07:52 PM   #6
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've got a live pointer and its never ran true to this day, no matter how much I bend up the front eyelet, and have only managed to catch one fish off it. To this day, my best day on the water was using a $3 generic crank from BPS.
Old 03-05-06, 08:00 PM   #7
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
nice pic of the sammy, I like the eye placement ..its like the baitfish is looking back at its attacker going "oh sh*t"

Attachment 159
Actually, it is not Sammy ! This is Scream-X, a new lure from Mega Bass.

Scream-X is a single-swisher wood bait. Unlike ordinary swisher bait, Scream-X dog-walks at almost 180-degree wide. It swishes hard at each ‘step’, rolling its body almost sideway. Designed to stay in a small area as long as you want it to stay, yet when it reaches the boundary of the spot you believe lanker is hiding, if you lift the rod tip high you can bring back Scream-X without swishing, nice and quietly. Then, cast it one more time into the spot you feel lanker must be hiding underneath.
Old 03-05-06, 08:36 PM   #8
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used a number of Lucky Craft Sammies and Pointers. They work well, and I've noticed a few things about them. One, they are balanced better than most lures. Take a lucky craft and some bargain bait of the same type to a pool and watch it work. Then compare it to a fleeing or dying shad. I think the LC's have a more realistic action (which isn't always better!!). Also, Mine are a lot more durable than a lot of the present day lures. It seems like they last longer, especially my sammies. If I use other topwater baits and several big ol smallies smash it, their paint nicks and strips off. I've probably caught 50 or more fish off my sammy last year and other than the hook marks on the sides, it looks like new.

I like them, but I only use the Sammys, pointer 78 and pointer 78 DDs. I've been impressed and thoroughly satisfied with them.
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 09:00 PM   #9
Bulletproof
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bulletproof
Default Because...

people pay for them at this price. If the fishing community in general decided to not buy luckycrafts at $20.00 bucks a pop you would see the price go down or luckycraft go out of business. Simple economics really. They have established their brand and consumers are willing to pay the tall dollar. Somebody is living high of the hog because of it. I'd be interested to see what the profit margin % is on these lures. Whether or not your buying a better crank or confidence, neither are cheap these days.
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 09:12 PM   #10
crankybait

i love how cool the megabass lures look...
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 09:29 PM   #11
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
i love how cool the megabass lures look...
they look really kool for sure, however, 30 bucks for a fishing lure?.............
Old 03-05-06, 09:46 PM   #12
flippin4it

I use a Sammy knock off made by Lew's, it retails at BPS for $2.59. Sucker works great.
Old 03-05-06, 10:12 PM   #13
crankybait

i see em for around 25. im buying like 10 or so from a deal with my dad
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 10:30 PM   #14
Fishing4Soup

i've used the sammy and it does run true out of the box and has small differences like durability and it looks more realistic. However, i'd be better off buying 3 rapalas instead
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 11:25 PM   #15
bass kicker

all of rapalas stukk runs true right out of the package and if it doesnt you can send it back and they give you something

a pro in canada told me about the deal
Old 03-05-06, 11:26 PM   #16
bass kicker

or something along that line cant remember all of the facts

but all there baits are tank tested before they are packaged
Old 03-06-06, 02:35 AM   #17
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I may be playing devil's advocate here, but I'm going to defend Lucky Craft. These baits are better quality than other brands. They've earned the right to charge so much for their baits due to the amount of time and effort put into designing them. And the fact that Lucky Craft is selling so many baits has to say something. They work, and people willing to pay that much money for them must mean they work well. Believe me, I'm not one that can afford these lures being a college student (I only have 5 and they were given to me). But when a tournament is on the line, you can ask almost any pro and they'll tell you that any little bit of advantage is worth the extra money.

Oh yeah, and I'm sure they're making a killing of of these baits. I talked to a guide and pro from Shreveport, Louisianna last fall during a tournament on the red river. His baits "Homer's Diving Ace" cost $2.50 to buy from the store he owns. When someone asked him why they were so cheap, he said "heck, it only cost me 20 cents to make one." I'm sure this is the same for any factory made lure.
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 08:50 AM   #18
PowerBass

I am thinking about some LC baits, like Pointers, Sammys and G- Splashes. I was thinkin maybe 2 or 3 each, Also thinkin about the LVR rattler from LC. I would love to have them. But being in school, this type of money, even with a job is hard to lay down. For now I will stick wiht Rapala Lures. They work great, are time tested, and catch fish
Old 03-06-06, 09:07 AM   #19
JB

I guess you pay for considerable "research and development" on any product.
Old 03-06-06, 09:39 AM   #20
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

I have a couple of them but I like my Matzuos better.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 12:14 PM   #21
Wishing2BFishing

One thing is for sure, when it comes to Lucky Craft, they don't put puny hooks on their lures. Even the shallow baits have at least a size 4 hook.
The larger hook makes me happy.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 12:21 PM   #22
scrap

they look like them renegade lures for a couple of bucks you can get at wal mart. i only said they look like.....i sure wish someone would shoot the bait monkey soon...or get him off my back so much. annoying and always hungry the little rat....lol
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 12:30 PM   #23
Wishing2BFishing

By the way, did anyone see that Megabait Anthrax lure that someone posted up on another thread. It looks really cool. Anyone know if there is any difference,other than size, between the "Anthrax" and "Anthrax 100"?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 03:24 PM   #24
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

who knows how much time and effort really went into designing lucky craft lures, though? Who's to say also that they are of any better quality? Maybe its a psychological thing?

I don't think people buying these lures necessarily reflect how well they work or anything like that..I think its another case of catching fisherman. When they've been around for 20 years, 30 years, something like that..then you can say they work well without a doubt, or they wouldn't have stayed around for that long. I'm not denying that they are good lures, but I think its very wrong to suggest that if you want the best, you have to pay 15 bucks or more for the lure. Most of these other companies have been there for many years and still stand strong to this day in their products, and that says a lot. If they weren't catching fish on 3 dollar crankbaits, that 3 dollar crankbait company wouldn't still be making lures.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 03:32 PM   #25
JB

ken,
you got that right! just look at those old rebel Wee craws, the backup baits that were hot as heck in the 80's ...they still sell them, I hardly ever see anyone use them these days...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.