Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-12, 06:38 PM   #1
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question motor guide vs. minn kota

Hey Folks, In your opinions, what trolling motor is the most reliable in the long run. I will be up grading to a 36 volt system in a couple of weeks, and even though I currently have a 24 volt minn kota on my boat, 18.4 ChampioN,but for the money I am about to shell out, I want to choose wisely.

Bang the drumb slowly, but bang it as hard as you can!
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 07:21 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There was a post regarding this issue a year or more ago that revealed a lot of info. I tried to search for it to no avail. I hope maybe another member will remember exactly which post I'm refering to. The big trolling motor debate! lol I think they are pretty much equal myself. I currently own a Motor Guide and had some quality issues with it as did another member in here recently. Brittle plastic issues. However, I'm sure Minn Kota has their own faults as well. Sorry I couldn't be more helpfull.
Old 05-24-12, 07:39 PM   #3
WillCFish

I had Minn Kota's for years and went to a sport show where I was sold a Motor Guide. Took it to the river and it wouldn't latch down. Kept jumping out of the water. Service was terrible and they said it couldn't be fixed right so I asked for and at least got a refund. Minn Kota Man Forever.
WillCFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:47 PM   #4
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I read a report on "best trolling motors". Motor Guide won. Now that said I think you should get the one that will do the job you need and you will have confidence in. I have had both and both did the job and were maintainence free other than the batteries and burger bottons.

Good luck with you new trolling motor.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 09:34 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lets cut it down to brass tacks then. You want a deployable foot peddle driven bass boat type motor correct ?

Or a power drive. Or autopilot. Or do you need GPS driven or contour driven. Fresh or salt?

Give us exacktly what you want and we can discuss pros and cons.. sometimes an apple is a machintosh or granny smith..

Help us help you.

Capt Mike
Old 05-24-12, 10:55 PM   #6
skeeter1804

I have owned Minn Kota for 12 years now and the plastic head covers break on the Maxuum every 2-3 years. When my friends call and theirs are broke I always kept an extra. I bought a new Triton this year and it has a Motor Guide, so far it has been great. It's quieter than the Minn Kotas I have had and the head it metal so hopefully no more parts to stock. I think they both are good trolling motors so any opinion I gave would be just that, an opinion. You should be happy with either one.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 08:12 AM   #7
MIbasser

Do you like Ford or Chevy? Lowrance or Hummingbird?

You get the picture? Everybody is going to have an opinion on what they have and how much they like it. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either one.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 03:00 PM   #8
merc1997

i have ran minnkota for years. i used to run motor guide, and the motors were dedpendable, but they were noisy and the brackects were always terrible. i have several buddies that run motor guide and everyone of them are going to minn kota when they get a new one. if motor guide would come out with a better bracket and parking system then they currently have, i really think they would be very equal. minn kota's new vortrex arm, and bracket are the most solid quiet units i have ever been around. another plus for the minn kota is the composite shaft. i really have never heard of one being replaced for anything. although i am sure that someone has. i could not even begin to remember how many motor guide shafts that i had to replace, but it was rediculous. motors, i would rate pretty equal, but the bracket nod is definitely minn kota. by the way, one of my fishing buddies used to build all the lower unit housings for motor guide. he runs a minn kota, and it is because of the better bracket. that should say it all.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 03:28 PM   #9
bassboogieman

I've had 2 of each and while I prefer the MinnKota's power & quietness the plastic heads SUCK. I've had two break on my current 101# in the last three years. IF you buy MinnKota, get yourself a spare bottom half of the head - sooner or later you will need it - they are not difficult to change out, but it always happens at the wrong time.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 10:57 PM   #10
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've had both and always had better luck with the Minn Kotas. Of course KVD a long with lots of other pros fish Motor Guide so they must be doing something right.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 06:48 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

MG gets the nod for me..........
Old 05-26-12, 10:51 AM   #12
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Minn Kota is my favorite by far, I've never had any issues with them. If my only choice was to buy a motorguide then I'd just buy an oar instead. My 2 cents.

Old 05-26-12, 11:49 AM   #13
lilmule

Min kota hand control lasted 6 years was used when I got it same with another the prior let it go with a boat.Bottom half of head will get loose replace the screw with something that wont come off so easily.Had foot control motor guides prior to ten years ago rheostat switches on the foot pedal went out on every one inside of 3 years.Replaced knee and rough water dont like my foot cocked hand unit with ext handle and foot on off button can stay in place and touch it seldom as they stay in place,guiding every now and then with hand foot whatever as handle is long and tapping it on and off with foot.Fish 3 fters and up your balance is much better without that foot peddle.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.