Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-31-12, 07:13 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ok, asked most worthless fishing info, now most useful knowledge you learned from KVD

At the tracker boat media bash last year kevin was asked, "What his two favorite lures he uses and some insight into the thought pattern for choosing them?"
His reply, (you all heard this before in some form from someone but maybe not KVD),
"First of all, it's wrong to have a favorite bait, you use whatever the situation dictates. That being said I have alot of confidence in certain baits that I can make work on a lot of different conditions."
The two were spinnerbaits and crankbaits.
Now some may not realize just how good KVD is and was from the start. I believe he was labeled gimmicky and a short carreer span was predicted.
Since starting the pro ranks in 1990, VanDam has fished 245 tournaments, won 20,second place 12 times, third place 17 times, in the top ten 97 times, top twenty 150 times; appeared in 22 Bassmaster Clasics, winning 4; and has been B.A.S.S. Angler of The Year 7 times;
And to me the most remarkable. He has cashed a check in over 80 percent of tournaments entered, WOW!
Oh , he's made $5,324,426 in just winnings, thats an average of $242,019 per year of carreer.
If your not listening to Kevin you may want to reconsider.
Old 05-31-12, 09:53 AM   #2
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

what JD said...
Old 05-31-12, 11:15 AM   #3
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the best knowledge that i ever got from someone else other than the principles of structure fishing, which came from reading buck perry's spoon plugging came from glen andrews. glen, was probably the best basser ever born. you can probably google his name and learn a bit more about him. jerry mcginnis has made many attributes to glen throughout the years. what glen taught me was about seasonal patterns, or seasonals habits of the bass. if you understand what the fish, and the bait for that matter, are doing seasonaly, you can catch fish anywhere anytime.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 06:10 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Curious to me that he would name two reaction baits, baits that cannot be dead sticked or worked in place. I get the sinking feeling that ole KVD don't spend a lot of time anchored!

I'm not sure why I never was a KVD fan, I mean he's not a cry baby like Martens or an idiot like Ike....maybe I just get this sort of Prima donna vibe from him. But hey....If I had those stats I'd probably get RC to shine my Tiarra
Old 05-31-12, 10:36 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The best advice I ever recieved from Kevin was in regard to my choice in a pitchin rod. I spoke with Kevin a couple years back and he steared me right. He did not even once try to talk me into buying a rod made by one of his sponcers. Instead, he explained what I needed in a good pitchin rod, and explained what I needed based on my height, and the type of boat I fish from most often. He was a real gem of a guy. I was a big KVD fan before meeting him, but even more so since. He definately enjoys helping other fisherman and taking the time to answer any questions you might have. Even though he may be KVD, angler elite, I felt like I was talking to an old friend. That was a nice suprise.
Old 05-31-12, 10:46 PM   #6
joedog

Kieth thats pretty neat.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-12, 10:51 PM   #7
Jrob78

There are a few guys that I would say are my favorite pros. KVD isn't one of them but he's just below that group. I find it impossible not to be a fan. He's so good, he goes about his business and his life (as far as we know) the absolute right way, he's confident and driven to succeed but he's also humble, did I mention he's really, really good? I believe that the pro anglers today are a lot better than they were 25-40 years ago, that makes his accomplishments that much more astounding compared to Clunn and Martin and the guys he's passing in the record books.

As to the original question, I've learned a lot from watching KVD on the Bass Pros and other teaching shows like that. I'm not sure I could pick one thing though.
Old 05-31-12, 11:05 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
There are a few guys that I would say are my favorite pros. KVD isn't one of them but he's just below that group. I find it impossible not to be a fan. He's so good, he goes about his business and his life (as far as we know) the absolute right way, he's confident and driven to succeed but he's also humble, did I mention he's really, really good? I believe that the pro anglers today are a lot better than they were 25-40 years ago, that makes his accomplishments that much more astounding compared to Clunn and Martin and the guys he's passing in the record books.

As to the original question, I've learned a lot from watching KVD on the Bass Pros and other teaching shows like that. I'm not sure I could pick one thing though.
This is spot on with how I feel about KVD. He isn't one of my favorite anglers either but I have nothing against the guy and I have all the respect in the world for him when it comes to doing his job better than anyone else in the world and doing it in a professional manner.
Old 06-01-12, 05:29 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

After reading everybodys opinion here and elsewhere about KVD maybe I am way off base with my "prima donna" impression. It would appear that he is truelly a humble and self defecating person in real life. Consider this a retraction and apology.
Old 06-01-12, 11:54 AM   #10
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Really?

Do yourself a favor if you ever get the chance. Go to a B.A.S.S. event and just take it all in. Now take notice you probably only see less than 5% of KVD's days on TV. He travels non-stop, has time to pre fish less than anyone else on tour and he still has to perform. When your as good as he is, it is his deal to lose. My two favorite sports are Golf and Fishing. Why? Because no one else can do it for you, you gotta carry your own load. KVD has travel people that drives his rig(s) etc but so does all of the other say top 10-15 guys. I would like to know what KVD has forgotten... Any day. I can say this, he is a super competitive guy that is passionate about wining. I don't know him on a personal level of course but I have been lucky enough to see fish in person, gosh I lost count maybe over twenty times. Not 100% on that number. He is one of the few guys that is tying etc all the way up to the last possible minute on a regular basis.

In short, he is a real dude. Doubt we will ever see any "Ike" like fits from him and he has cause plenty of times. He probably has more pressure on his spots during a tourn than anyone. All of the spectator boats move in on him and everyone one of them marks his spots and fish's the hell out of them.

If you want to know who I think will give into the pressure someday and either quit or just do TV only, Skeet. To me and this is only my take, he has lost his passion and relies a lot on luck and previous knowledge. He is burned out from traveling the farthest and does not get to cash a tournament check enough to cover his base. He needs all of the endorsement deals he can get and he is not as big of a brand name as he used to. I just remembered that there was an issue on non-industry specific press. The deal was Skeet at his prime a few years ago got more national non-industry press than KVD ever does. (I.e. USA Today, TV Guide, ESPN etc.) You would never hear KVD cry about something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Curious to me that he would name two reaction baits, baits that cannot be dead sticked or worked in place. I get the sinking feeling that ole KVD don't spend a lot of time anchored!

I'm not sure why I never was a KVD fan, I mean he's not a cry baby like Martens or an idiot like Ike....maybe I just get this sort of Prima donna vibe from him. But hey....If I had those stats I'd probably get RC to shine my Tiarra
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 04:28 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
After reading everybodys opinion here and elsewhere about KVD maybe I am way off base with my "prima donna" impression. It would appear that he is truelly a humble and self defecating person in real life. Consider this a retraction and apology.
You crack me up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.