Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-23-12, 04:22 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What do you think is the most useless fishing information?

I vote Lunar and Solunar tables or fishing forecasts based on them.

That being said, I do believe in the actual effects of the overhead moon phase. Alot has more to due with light reflection. I feel the fish feed heavier on brighter nights or darkest nights. (fullmoon, new moon) But where that moon is located at 1 in the afternoon has absolutly NO bearing what so ever on the fish activity where I'm at.
I feel barometric readings are the most valuable. We as humans don't notice barametric pressure as much but talk to a diver, They tell me they can feel the difference, not like a fish but still can tell the difference. It's like this, if you had lets just say a five pound weight resting on your stomach while you slept. You think you would feel more or less like eating as soon as awakening with the weight. I wouldn't and ya I was talked into trying it and I wasn't.

So what do you feel is the most whorthless fishing information commonly used or shared in your area?

Hey remember, "I'm not criticizing anyone or anyones ideas of what is or isn't valuable information" I'm just curious seeing everyone of my fish publications has a table, rarely the same, may I add. One mags hot time is another mags slow time. I do log my fishing outings and use to include solunar and lunar along with barametric pressure. I no longer record the tables because over the years they have had absolutly NO bearing what so ever! Some of my best days have been the worst day of the month on forementioned tables and forecasts.
I should add that I know I guy, don't like him due to his being a live baiter who thinks he's the worlds best and most knowledgeable fisherman that mankind has ever had, that won't fish unless the tables tell him it's ok. Crazy or what?
Old 05-23-12, 06:43 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to agree with you Joe. Lunar/solunar tables to me are probably what least effects what happens on the lake. That may be more important around spawning season, but reaslly I could care less about them. Local weather I think has a larger bearing on bass behavior by far.
Old 05-23-12, 07:09 PM   #3
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I will agree regarding lakes.. but when it involves any type of tidal water rivers etc. you better pay attention to them..or at least pay attention to the moon phase..
Old 05-23-12, 08:17 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

most useless info? me telling ANYONE how ot fish, bwaahahahahaha!
Old 05-23-12, 09:03 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Joe ...useless is as useless does....I've never put a lot of stock in the old wives tales about wind direction. You know, stuff like wind from east fish the least etc. I am more concerned with wind trends before a trip and wind speed on the day of.

Regarding solunar tables...I go fishing at EVERY available opportunity, whether the tables are in synch or not. I do log lot's of details about every trip out, and over the years I can say with certainty that my catch rate is measurably higher when I fish during a New moon and the 2-3 days preceding it.................as far as "peak" hours during the day I've rarely seen much of a spike.
Old 05-24-12, 08:59 AM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The solar/lunar tables, I think would be useful, if I got to fish when I wanted too, unfortunately, I'm not so lucky, and go when I can. My bit of "fishing Knowledge", I have to always chuckle when I hear, is when someone tells me, "Let the fish tell you what they want". Damn! most of the time they're keeping to themselves, and are mighty quiet, either that, or I need a hearing aid.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:25 PM   #7
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
The solar/lunar tables, I think would be useful, if I got to fish when I wanted too, unfortunately, I'm not so lucky, and go when I can. My bit of "fishing Knowledge", I have to always chuckle when I hear, is when someone tells me, "Let the fish tell you what they want". Damn! most of the time they're keeping to themselves, and are mighty quiet, either that, or I need a hearing aid.
X2 on the hearing aids
...the only thing the fish seem to tell me is what they don't want.
(and then I have to listen real close)
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:31 PM   #8
3dkicker

I just love it when the urban legends of bass fishing are passed on over and over and over again. You know the ones where....."You can only catch them by doing so and so at this time of year." or "Fish only feed at....." or "Fish are only found....".

Best of all is when you have pro's state that fish only do such and such in one article and then another will state the complete opposite....in the same article!!
Old 05-24-12, 09:38 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Red rattletrap on Arkindale Flats..

Giggity..

Capt Mike
Old 05-24-12, 10:27 PM   #10
lilmule

Pink in the pads and around bridges.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 01:19 AM   #11
BassDood
BassFishin.Com Member

"Should have been here yesterday" My favorite. Gotta agree on the tables too. Local weather dictates more than some prediction in a magazine. I've done well more often than not on days that should have been poor fishing according to the tables...or vice-versa
BassDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 07:46 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
What do you think is the most useless fishing information?
Buy the best equipment and tackle that you can afford. Everyone knows an Ugly Stick will catch 'em just as good as a Dobbyns, and some "no name" brand stick bait is every bit as good as a Senko, and there is no difference between Eagle Claw and Gamagatsu hooks or a Lucky Craft crank and a Chineese knockoff.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 03:20 PM   #13
merc1997

joe dog, i think solunar and lunar tables can be valuable information. i fished for years with an edition called a action graph. it had the movement times on a linear graph. definetly local conditions can make the movement for your area less or better. but, here is the thing that i found most valuable, and i kept detailed records of this for years, and the results never varied. i noticed a trend right away that the biggest bass were always caught right in the peaks. in other words right at the top of a movement peak, or where that peak hit rock bottom. so, in tournament fishing i planned my route to coincide with the peaks on the graph. i would plan my fishing route so that i hit my prime big bass spots at the top of the peaks and bottom of the valleys. so, yes solunar and lunar charts can be useful, it is up to you to learn how to apply them to your benefit. on a lighter note, here is the most useless fishing info to me: anything my competition tells me.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 07:54 AM   #14
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I became less enthused with the match the hatch crede over the decades having caught many fish of all species with creature baits such as the jig & trailer, spinnerbait, Brush Hog, curl tail grub, etc. with colors no fish should ever strike if they had half a mind. Yeah, I know each is supposed to represent a real species, but as far as I'm concerned bass don't have the imagination most anglers have and fish strike baits based on various believable factors Keith Jones has demonstrated in Knowing Bass. Lure characteristics (speed, action, sometimes color, lure depth), line size, location, timing and angler lure manipulation cover all the bases without limiting oneself to a specific lure type or color scheme.

As far as solar/lunar tables go (except for tidal salt water), somewhere there are active or reflex-striking fish hitting at certain depths at certain, sometimes unpredictable times no tables can predict.

Last edited by senkosam; 06-02-12 at 08:14 AM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 10:59 AM   #15
lilmule

Early to bed early to rise makes one healthy wealthy and wise,goes with first light over the water.
Bait monkey gets my money,so aint no wealth involved ,had a heart attack year ago so its all guff.But kinda enjoy it so will continue as long as possible.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 03:28 PM   #16
joedog

Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish all day
And make up Lies!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.