Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-07-12, 06:05 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Geo Advantage?

I viewed Kevins video and had some questions about a few things he said in the video. As a rookie angler maybe its just a simple lack of terminology on my part. 1.) What is a primary - secondary point. 2.) I get the point of the overhead view but the photos that these programs use are at best 1-3 years old. Water especially rivers change daily. How is seeing outdated imagery an advantage. Water conditions that is. 3.) I will be fishing borah lake in Olney IL this weekend for the first time. What should i look for in these programs to make an informed desicion on where to place my boat for the first cast after launch. Any advice is always appreciated.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:52 AM   #2
IowaBasser

In April I was checking out aerial photos of the Mississippi River for a May tournament. I hadn't fished the Mississippi at all and wanted an idea of what to expect. I downloaded some PDF maps that showed wing dam locations, boat landings, etc. I went to Google because I generally use google and am somewhat familiar with it. The aerial images from Google were from a very high water period; it was difficult to see anything except water and tree tops of flooded islands. Then I went to Bing.com and looked at their maps - they were taken in 2012 with low water. I even printed some to take with us in the boat and they were helpful. between the Bing.com maps and the downloaded PDF's I was able to become familiar with the water much faster; we even found a nice spot that we wouldn't have otherwise. Unfortunatley we also spent a good portion of 2 days fishing areas that looked good on the maps, but didn't hold fish.

I reccommend to look for at a couple different web-sites for aerial images, especially if water level changes where and how you may fish.
Old 06-08-12, 11:01 AM   #3
Mumpy

1.) What is a primary - secondary point.
a. Since it seems that your other questions were answered, I’ll give it a go for your first question. A Primary Point is a point that is on the Main River portion of the Lake and the Secondary Points are the points that reside in the Creeks off the Main lake.
Old 06-08-12, 11:03 AM   #4
Mumpy

I took this out of another discussion board, Hope this helps you understand a bit better than what I wrote.

In my eyes since there are two main types of lakes, there are two definitions of secondary points. In reservoirs (deep Canyon Reservoirs to be exact), any point that actually extends to the main lake channel is considered a "Primary Point". The openings of coves are the main example of this. At the opening of a cove, there are two points that define the cove. These points are considered the primary points. Now, inside the cove, you will find the secondary points. These points may extend to the feeder creek channel within the cove but do not have too.

Now, the second type of lake is a natural lake or lowland reservoir. These lakes are a little more difficult when it comes to distinguishing the secondary points. Lots of times, all you have to gauge yourself on are weedlines. For example, in a large bay you may encounter a weedline that will make a cove. The two main points of the "weed cove" make the primary points as in the deep canyon reservoir. Then, within the cove you will see small points of grass that show the contour of the "Break" that forms the weedline. These are the secondary points.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.