Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-22-12, 05:02 PM   #1
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Attending an Elite Series event as a spectator

Hi all. No doubt some of you have attended a Bassmaster Elite Series tourney or two over the years. I'm going to my first one this weekend at Oneida Lake. I just had a couple questions about spectating. I was thinking of bringing my boat which is just a small 12' aluminum boat to take out and try to watch the guys fishing closer to the ramp. Of all the times I've watched on TV I can't ever remember a spectator on anything other than a normal bass boat so I'm wondering if my 12 footer will be frowned upon. Also obviously I would never fish around one of the pro's but if I decided to go far off where no one was fishing and fish for a while is that usually ok? Any other tips and things to look out for would be great as well.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 06:12 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's ok to fish away from the pros.
When they were in LaCrosse there were alot of Jon boats spectating. But thats the Mississippi where flat bottoms are common. You may have more difficulty finding a launch to launch at close cause you won't be able to launch usually anywhere near the pro launch cause these boats MOVE and they are all in a hurry. Launch and seeing these 'fishing machines' take off like a bat out of h*** is to me one of the coolest parts of the tourney experience. Be sure to check into launch sites before going.
You gotta understand, most spectaters aren't racing behind these guys trying to follow them. It's more of a facebook, twitter pass along thing. 'I saw so and so fishing by the bridge or what ever'.
Frankly no-one cares what your in cause thier watching the Pros.
Just an idea. Try to make at least one launch, opening days best.
And at least one wiegh in. Thats where the real action and mingling takes place. These guys scatter at launch and Onieda isn't small. 12 foot jon boat may be tough to find a pro although they are somewhat more grouped than a river system tourney.
Have fun and it will be alot to take in at your first one but ask questions from anyone, there usually a very friendly spectator crowd.
Wiegh ins are where alot of the pros toss sponser grab bags in the crowd as they approach the wiegh now usually in thier boats. Opening day launch is similar when thier trailering to the launch you can actually get fairly close. Launch is usually Thurs hence can be a smaller crowd....sometimes. Lacrosse was crazy at Thurs. launch though.
Have fun and let us know what you thought.
Old 08-22-12, 09:45 PM   #3
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been to a couple and had a great time just watching the pros do their thing. Don't worry about having a small boat unless you feel unsafe in it. Have a great time and take in all you can. Let us all know what you think. Have fun and be safe.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 10:04 AM   #4
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I never considered that I wouldn't be able to launch at the same launch as the pros even after they launch.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 08:37 PM   #5
fishnart
BassFishin.Com Member

Take some pics and bring em back...
fishnart is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.