Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-05, 08:45 AM   #1
bigbassbob
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbassbob
Default How to fish a fluke?

I fish as much as I can, and catch my share of bass. But I bought some flukes because of what I've seen them catch. I need some tips and ideas such as colors, and how to work the lure! Good fishin'.
bigbassbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 09:08 AM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: How to fish a fluke?

this was also on the second page. please search for your question before posting it. thanks http://www.bassfishin.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1114040653
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 09:34 AM   #3
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

colors always depend on water clarity #1 and you work it by giving light twitches, i normaly do it like this twitch 1 2 count and so on this has cought me alot of pritty big fish in the 6 to 9lb range.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 08:46 PM   #4
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Let the Fluke sink to the desired depth, then twitch it. Leave a little slack after the twitch, as the slack will allow it to dart erratically. Be a line-watcher, as sometimes you will see the line moving off before you feel anything, and that tells you to set the hook.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 03:39 PM   #5
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

mostly natural colors and put a swivel a little ways up on the line to prevent line twists.
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 08:00 PM   #6
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

pearl white and the other is ice.....they both seem to work the best here in East Tennessee.....
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-05, 02:28 PM   #7
weeddoggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to weeddoggy

I use the pearl white, glow, and bluegill the most. I fish them with no weight or I put some sticky weight on the bend in the hook. I've also heard of people weighting it with like a finishing nail or a little brad. Sticking it inside of the bait.
weeddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-05, 03:00 PM   #8
Brian
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Brian

i personally have done really well with the bubble gum color super flukes in all water claritys...i dunno if its just the off-the-wall color or if the bass i have caught on them are gay lol! ;D

good luck
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 12:26 PM   #9
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

For some reason the bubble gum seems like it makes fish crazy when their biting it. I either get no bites or just tear the fish up on it. Its the only color that I use that is that unpredictable. Muddy to clear water it has worked for me.
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 08:34 PM   #10
redneck3004
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck3004

"The Fluke" is very versatile and it can be fished in many ways, weightless T rigging it is one of them and if you want to increase the sink rate all you need is to insert a nail weight, also it can be C-rigged, split shotted or dropshotted.
redneck3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 10:33 PM   #11
ahlkajflakjj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ahlkajflakjj

Be_Patient , what i use is a jighead and use a moderate retrieve with twitching every 2 or 3 seconds. And almost always....they set the hook themselves...but jerk it just to be sure. Use watermelon zoom fluke down here in florida..sure bet
ahlkajflakjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 02:37 PM   #12

i dont no where yall live but i live in texas near wills point n i fish nearly every day n when i decide to use a soft jerk bait use a super fluke in arkansas shiner color!

ive never used that pink bubble gum color but i hear good things i can catch fish any time of the year at anytime of the day in any condition of weather jus about n catch fish with arkansas shiner

try it
trust me if u work it right it will catch you huge fish and numbers!
Old 05-09-05, 03:16 PM   #13
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Theres no magic bait but having some confiedence with catching bass on a specific lure sure makes it handy when trying to read the conditions, esp. if you can remember what was going on weather wise when you caught that bass and need to replicate the same results.
I used to just go out with one bait tied on and forced my self to keep fishing it until i got something..
Some baits that i have tried that theory on and never have gotten bite..i tend to not keep them very long.
You'll always hear stories of some bait that you've never used and try it..to me alot of it is timing an presentation
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 12:41 PM   #14
MikeO
BassFishin.Com Member

On all soft baits, my main color choice starts with green pumpkin and watermelon. Conditions will dictate other colors. I've never had much luck with the real bright colors, but I probably don;t have enough confidence in them.
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 04:00 PM   #15
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

twitch, twitch, pause------twitch, twitch, pause------etc. Favorite color is white or ice. A good bait for weed beds. I fish a fluke in clear to lightly stained water. I weight it by sticking a piece of coat hanger in the head (sideways) and clipping it off flush with a pair of dykes. use two pieces if you need more weight.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 10:56 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I caught 2 small bass on a white ice super fluke tonight. It was in a retention pond in my neighborhood that I usually only catch blue gill out of. I thought I would try my flukes and low and behold I pulled two 1 pounders out. One was right after a neighbor saw me and said he didn't believe me when I told him about the first one. He believed me when I showed him the second one.

I have yet to catch a big one but there is always tomorrow.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 11:09 PM   #17
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=15767 all im going to say
Old 06-29-08, 09:39 PM   #18
MikeO
BassFishin.Com Member

Caught 5 bass, this evening, on a watermelon seed Super Fluke. I fished it with slight rips, keeping it moving along almost constantly. The rips cause it to walk the dog, as it comes in. Occasionally, I would stop and let it settle. The hits usually came as the fluke changed directions. The fourth bass tore the nose out of the fluke, and rather than put a new one on, I rigged it wacky,and cast it out. This produced the most savage strike of the evening. I love this lure.

Last edited by MikeO; 06-29-08 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-29-08, 09:42 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
Caught 5 bass, this evening, on a watermelon seed Super Fluke. I fished it with slight rips, keeping it moving along almost constantly. The rips cause it to walk the dog, as it comes in. Occasionally, I would stop and let it settle. The hits usually came as the fluke changed directions. The fourth bass tore the nose out of the fluke, and rather than put a new one on, I rigged it wacky,and cast it out. This produced the most savage strike of the evening. I love this lure.
I ought to wacky rig the "broke" ones after the fish tear it up. I didn't think about that.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 09:48 PM   #20
MikeO
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I ought to wacky rig the &quot;broke&quot; ones after the fish tear it up. I didn't think about that.
I sure was surprised, but I'll be doing that regularly
Old 06-29-08, 09:48 PM   #21
bassinbob

Today I got my first on a baby bass colored zoom. I've used them in the past with no luck. I was fishing a small lake which was pretty clear. I might have done better with some mono but I was using braid. It was a dink. There was a smaller pond below the lake and I got two 4lbs. out of it. One on a senko and one on a rage tail toad. Both were watermelon colored.
Old 06-29-08, 09:53 PM   #22
MikeO
BassFishin.Com Member

I was using 12# Yozuri Ultra soft, and a 4/0 red Gamakatsu EWG. By now, almost all the red is worn off the hook. That hook has ~18 bass on it, not to mention the ones that got away.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.