Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-21-12, 12:34 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Who or were could a person get a descent custom rod made

i would like to get a custom rod made for frogs. say a 7'2 HXF. I want a super sensitive extra fast tip for letting them hollow bodies fly plus i would like to skip them. A full cork handle and a a crazy rod color... Am i asking for the moon. I will pay descent but not like 350+, so again is this do-able. IF anyone could help me out
Old 05-21-12, 05:12 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yep, there's 3-4 guys on here that do custom rods, I'm sure one of them can hook you up. Wafflejaw (aka Nelson Custom Rods) and BubbaBruiser (DTC Rods) are the two that immediately come to mind.
Old 05-21-12, 05:53 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Yep, there's 3-4 guys on here that do custom rods, I'm sure one of them can hook you up. Wafflejaw (aka Nelson Custom Rods) and BubbaBruiser (DTC Rods) are the two that immediately come to mind.
This was gonna be my answer too. They do amazing work on their custom rods!
Old 05-21-12, 05:57 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys...Wally you may hit up BubbaBrusier Im sure hell get ya well taken care of..Id love to help ya but Im taking a small hiatus from building till August-ish due to personal reasons.
Old 05-21-12, 06:55 PM   #5
Jrob78

If Bubba can't squeeze you in, DVT Mike would be another person to try.
Old 05-21-12, 09:09 PM   #6
wallywallace

alright, thanks, hoefully they will relply to this thread, i have someone gonna buy my avid so maybe that can me a !00+ up on the rod, i talked to a guy that can do it for 200.00 he is a local out of his basment, but still id want someone who has years, as he just started last summer.
Old 05-21-12, 09:27 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
alright, thanks, hoefully they will relply to this thread, i have someone gonna buy my avid so maybe that can me a !00+ up on the rod, i talked to a guy that can do it for 200.00 he is a local out of his basment, but still id want someone who has years, as he just started last summer.
I would stay away from someone that quotes you a price before you've even picked out components or blanks. If you really want to get a rod built, do a little research, talk to your builder, get a rod that is truly custom and built the way you want it on a blank that you want. You don't have to spend a fortune to get what you want but do get what you want, not what your builder wants to build, make sense?
Old 05-21-12, 10:53 PM   #8
Tavery5

I'm curious about the super sensitive for a frog rod, what are your thoughts on this.
Old 05-21-12, 11:08 PM   #9
wallywallace

a guy at my campground had a.. think a cumara, rod, said it was heavy but with a sensive fast, maybe sensitive aint the word, light tip, I cant explain how the tip was, bouncy for lack of a better word. After talking and fishing beside him for a few days, he sees me frogging and comes down with his frog rod, and starts pitchen and skipping his frog under branches and places i only dream of working with my frog. i tried and tried the rest of the weekend and will try wednesday when i am out, but i cant skip my frog, i can skip plastics with spinning and on casting, usally have a lash or 3; but i cant do jack spit with my current frog rod. plus i beleieve walking the dog may be achieved better by a XF tip, so Tav guess maybe i should deacribe instead of said sensitive. idk the tech words...lol
Old 05-22-12, 01:21 PM   #10
wallywallace

every custom rod on peoples pics and off of random site on the net, all are split grip, can they not be made full cork
Old 05-22-12, 01:46 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

They can be made anyway you want them. I got your PM and will reply when I get a little more time. I am offshore right now though, so it might be a few days. Also, send me your email in a PM if you get a chance.
Old 05-22-12, 02:56 PM   #12
wallywallace

Thanks BB, i will
Old 05-22-12, 07:24 PM   #13
lowrider

You're on the right track with your specs for the frog rod. Just today I was reading about Dean Rojas in the latest BM mag and he talked about the rod he designed for Quantum. Mind you, skipping is what he does a lot with this stick. Says the key to it is the tip is fast but with a good backbone for getting them to the boat. Here's a link to TW on it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quant...age-QTDRC.html
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 08:54 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
a guy at my campground had a.. think a cumara, rod, said it was heavy but with a sensive fast, maybe sensitive aint the word, light tip, I cant explain how the tip was, bouncy for lack of a better word. After talking and fishing beside him for a few days, he sees me frogging and comes down with his frog rod, and starts pitchen and skipping his frog under branches and places i only dream of working with my frog. i tried and tried the rest of the weekend and will try wednesday when i am out, but i cant skip my frog, i can skip plastics with spinning and on casting, usally have a lash or 3; but i cant do jack spit with my current frog rod. plus i beleieve walking the dog may be achieved better by a XF tip, so Tav guess maybe i should deacribe instead of said sensitive. idk the tech words...lol

Wally, the great thing about a custom rod is you can get it anyway YOU like it. I was just wondering why you were wanting a sensitive rod for top water fishing, which is generally thought of as a reaction type technique. Sensitivity usually equates to more money and is IMO better spent of rods that are used primarily for contact type baits (jigs, worming, plastics). Anyway I see that we were using the term sensitive in two different ways, hope you find what your looking for, there are some great rod builders on this site.
Old 05-22-12, 09:29 PM   #15
wallywallace

been talking to bubba, and we getting things figured, i just need to sell 2 rods and it will be great, i am super excited to be taking this step. yea i was lacking the word to describe it, guess sensitive wasnt the right word..

and low rider i have that one near the thinking chair for a read soon.. pretty cool that i met the guy with his rod, it was wild to see him skip a frog, i have only seen and done plastics.
Old 05-22-12, 09:49 PM   #16
Jrob78

Good luck with your build Wally, Bubba will hook you up with something you will be proud of.
Old 05-23-12, 06:57 AM   #17
kennethdaysale

Who or were could a person get a descent custom rod made

Where can a person get a decent custom rod made?

Who makes a decent custom rod?

Wally I hope you get a good custom rod and enjoy it. I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, and I know that you sincerely love to fish. I must tell you however that unless you're lucky enough to go Pro, you should try to put equal effort in your education. I know it's not as fun and exciting to study english, math and science as it is to catch fish. When you graduate and begin to look for a job, you'll wish you had.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 05-23-12 at 08:17 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:58 AM   #18
wallywallace

Haha, i know it Ken, even though my english sometimes looks like a 10 year old girl on the net, i am in collage and after summer semister graduating unto bach. degree then a masters, a psychologists is a long winding road. Lucky me, Ambe(gf) has one more year to go on her dental degree as well. Sad to admit this Ken , but compared to the shore fishing so far, i am a einstein in the class, lol but no my fishing is that pathetic. The monkey is greatly enjoying itself in 2012, it stockpiling for the mayen end.. lol but yes i am truely excited for this rod, i may not catch em like KVD but i am out on the water alot and want it.. put all my wants into one rod.. it is very nice
Old 05-23-12, 03:56 PM   #19
3dkicker

Quote:
every custom rod on peoples pics and off of random site on the net, all are split grip, can they not be made full cork
Cork is expensive.....and adds weight. Buddy of mine went to split grip years ago to reduce weight and cost.
Old 05-23-12, 08:22 PM   #20
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

may i give oyu some advise? ok, i recieved a custom made rod for christmas last year (love it to DEATH!). now what oyu MAY run into is this. someone ELSES custom rod is NOT what YOU will want. trust me on this. oyu need to make up in oyur mind what oyu want in the action adn so forth in said rod. handle rods of all kinds and pick apart what oyu like and don't like about each and then make oyur mind up as to what OYU want in the rod.

but re-reading this and knowing bubba........bubba has probaly already told you this and more BETTER info than what i jsut typed. good luck and show us the rod when oyu get it buddy.
Old 05-23-12, 09:35 PM   #21
wallywallace

yea bubba is walking me throw it, i think i got it down pat, and probably givin him a newbie nightmare but nothing but greatness from him so far and 3d, i understand thanks, but to me i have no problem paying more, as above said i am picking the best and what i like, and to me, i have both style rods, but i love my full handle rods

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.