Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Poll: Whats your year like?
Poll Options
Whats your year like?

Old 07-26-12, 11:37 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hows your fishing season going?

Thought it may be fun to share and compare.

Feel free to elaberate.

Last edited by joedog; 07-26-12 at 11:53 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 01:16 PM   #2
WatterBoy

I didn't vote in the poll because there wasn't a "really good season, but not quite my best season ever" option.

Last year at this point we had caught 620 total fish at our cabin, this year's total stands at 644. All species except LM are ahead of last year's pace. Our LM count last year at this time was at 434 with 10 of those being over 3 pounds and NONE over 4 pounds. This year's count, though down at 362, shows 21(!) over 3 pounds and TWO over 4 pounds.

It's going to be hard to top my 2010 season, though. I caught my only 5-pounder ever on our cabin lake that year, and I also caught a 6.0 and 6.9 within 24 hours at two different locations in Iowa...and while fishing with my dad both times. I can't envision any scenario where that year will ever be beaten.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I have a lot of confidence and really high hopes for BIG fish and BIG NUMBERS of fish for the last 12 weeks of my fishing season here!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 01:23 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

Where is the "no time but to occasionally fish, goin ok though". This year has been crazy, got done with senior year and have been at Clemson all summer in a research program.

Always feel its like this in my life. Have got a week or two where I could pond fish for 4 or 5 days. I'll get over it
Old 07-26-12, 02:19 PM   #4
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

rockin this year. won last two tourneys. last one was 22.10 lbs
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:55 PM   #5
joedog

Hey I messed up! Second option should read, "FAIR but ABOVE AVERAGE"
Watterboy this may fit you?
Sorry folks the poll setup being my first, kind of threw me a few loops.
Some how when I proof read I missed it. Man the mind can really play the tricks on a person. Sorry anglers, hope I didn't mess you folks up, cause the choices listed certainly leaves some GAPS.
Old 07-26-12, 06:08 PM   #6
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I didn't vote in the poll because there wasn't a "really good season, but not quite my best season ever" option.

Same here! Our season has been really good so far. My son has a solid 9 pounder and I have a solid 6 pounder for big fish. In total we have 8 fish over 5 pounds combined.

My son's 9

Spring was better than average and were we have landed most of the monsters. But summer has been on the slow side. We have struggled to get much over 3 pounds out of the deep weeds/grass. Actually changed gears and stated dropshotting for smallmouths. Haven't mustered much over 2 on them either! So this keeps me from saying best season ever!

Hopefully the bite changes in late summer early fall. If we can get 4 more over 5 pounds. It will be our best season ever.
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:19 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbassin4fun View Post
Same here! Our season has been really good so far. My son has a solid 9 pounder and I have a solid 6 pounder for big fish. In total we have 8 fish over 5 pounds combined.
Holy cow - that is a SWEEEEEEEEEEET fish your son has in that pic! State record here is only 8lb 15oz. When we hit a 4 pounder on our lake, we celebrate. Luckily for us, at least so far anyway, even when the temps are in the 90s here and it's so humid you can hardly breathe, the water temp still stays in the upper 70s-lower 80s range and the fishing is still solid.
Old 07-26-12, 06:33 PM   #8
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Holy cow - that is a SWEEEEEEEEEEET fish your son has in that pic! State record here is only 8lb 15oz. When we hit a 4 pounder on our lake, we celebrate. Luckily for us, at least so far anyway, even when the temps are in the 90s here and it's so humid you can hardly breathe, the water temp still stays in the upper 70s-lower 80s range and the fishing is still solid.
Thanks, He's been kickin my tail this year and I have been doing most of his chores!

The temps you posted are very similar to ours. What may grow them slightly bigger here is less cold/dorment season. Ours don't compare to our southern states with little to no winter season. We want to visit Florida/Texas were they get REAL big!
Old 07-26-12, 08:17 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbassin4fun View Post
Thanks, He's been kickin my tail this year and I have been doing most of his chores!

The temps you posted are very similar to ours. What may grow them slightly bigger here is less cold/dorment season. Ours don't compare to our southern states with little to no winter season. We want to visit Florida/Texas were they get REAL big!
Where are you from?
Old 07-26-12, 09:02 PM   #10
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Decent, but I haven't been out recently due to a bathroom remodel job. That has been completed tonight, so I look to remedy that situation!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 10:43 PM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Started out as a really good year untill a month ago. Record high temps all summer, and a serious drought has taken their toll. Then the conservancy districts performed a heavy weed kill in our lakes. Now it's just a mess out there. But going to try it again this saturday.
Old 07-27-12, 12:02 AM   #12
Jrob78

I voted average. It was a pretty decent spring but I don't get out much during the heat of the summer. I'm hoping here in another month or so it will start to cool down a little and make fishing much more tolerable.
Old 07-27-12, 08:17 AM   #13
rrw4258

I voted for best season ever. It has been an awesome year so far, and it is only July. So far I have 13 bass over 5 pounds this year. 2 of them are smallies, and the rest are largemouth! I have had two 7-1 largemouth this year, and a 6-3 largemouth. The rest of the big LM are between 5-4 and 5-12. My biggest smallmouth on the year is a 5-4. From a big fish perspective, this is the best season for me.

Ryan
Old 07-27-12, 09:13 AM   #14
bassboogieman

HOW'S MY YEAR GOING? Well the last month SUCKS! Other than my purchase of a new P345 which I cannot put to the purpose that I would like it's been pretty darn crappy. And the fishing hasn't been that good, after a decent spring the heat has been pretty brutal. My home waters are dropping due to drought and the fish are mostly deep and I am not a deep water fisherman. I'm pretty much resigned to waiting for September and the fall to start fishing again with purpose.

ONE possibly good thing is happening to my home lake this fall - it's going to be drawn down about 8' in October to do some work on shoreline structure, and shallow water fish habitat and that will concentrate the fish and make the lake inaccessible, to all BUT CANOES AND KAYAKS, and maybe some very small john boats or inflatables. Fall and early winter pressure on the lake will be greatly reduced. This was previously done two years ago and I didn't have a kayak then, this fall more work is scheduled and I plan to be able to take advantage of the waterline being 50', or more, away from the ramps. All I am hoping for is a winter like last year - we were fishing through December with the mild weather we had.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-27-12 at 09:30 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 10:19 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I would have to say better than last year, but not the best of all times. I have been more in to learning my boat this year. I have a few fish over 4 so that is a kicker. Other than learning my boat, my boys have been fishing with me a lot and that takes away from my time. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It will pay off in my eyes 2 fold when they are wearing me out on the water one day.
Old 07-27-12, 02:16 PM   #16
doc

not too bad, i'm 5 points behind our AOY leader in our local club, and third place is 60 points back, with just 3 tourneys to go. 1st and second will be a slugfest till the end ( I hope)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 05:36 PM   #17
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Where are you from?
Northwest corner of CT. A small town called Winchester.
Old 07-27-12, 07:19 PM   #18
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I voted average and it's been just that, maybe a little below. Decent number of good fish up to 6lbs 1oz. Have had an upswing in the number of keepers (either 15+ or 18+ inches) in the local lakes so that's a positive note. With the one I caught today in the 20 minutes I had to test my new deep cranking combo before work I'm sitting at 1,535 on the year thus far. I've really slowed down the last couple months with working lots of OT because we're trying to buy a house and lately I've been chasing the big whiskered fish because they're about the only thing that bites real well in the 100+ degree weather and drought conditions we've been having.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:22 PM   #19
skeeter1804

I wouldn't say best season ever but it has been good. Still catching a lot of fish in these hot temps. Haven't won much in tournaments but have been competitive.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:22 PM   #20
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I voted average and it's been just that, maybe a little below. Decent number of good fish up to 6lbs 1oz. Have had an upswing in the number of keepers (either 15+ or 18+ inches) in the local lakes so that's a positive note. With the one I caught today in the 20 minutes I had to test my new deep cranking combo before work I'm sitting at 1,535 on the year thus far. I've really slowed down the last couple months with working lots of OT because we're trying to buy a house and lately I've been chasing the big whiskered fish because they're about the only thing that bites real well in the 100+ degree weather and drought conditions we've been having.
Damn dude, if this was just an average year, I'm going to start hanging out with you!
Old 07-28-12, 09:41 AM   #21
IowaBasser

It's been an up and down year for me, so I voted average. Over-all I've had a better than average year, highlighted by 2 memorable outings. One morning I caught about a dozen 3-pounders on top-water frogs and another time I caught some nice bass with my 2 young nieces.

I had my 2 worst days on the two days I was most looking forward to. The first day was a tournament I had talked a friend into entering with me on the Mississippi; we had river levels dropping 6 inches a day for 4 or 5 days straight before the tournament and the fishing was difficult. After the first hour we had motor problems and couldn't get anywhere we wanted to. We only caught one keeper and couldn't even get the boat back for the weigh-in to see what everyone else caught.

My second disappointing day was canoeing a small river where I normally catch a ton of smallmouth. With the drought in the midwest, the river was low and we ended up walking a lot. In 6 hours I caught one 13" fish and countless fish 6 inches or less.

July's been hot; so I haven't been out a lot, but I'm looking forward to the end of August and September when I plan to get back on the water for several weekends of late summer and fall fishing!
Old 07-28-12, 10:44 AM   #22
bamabassman

i said average...since i haven't been able to get out (as usual) as often as i would like due to various things. things like the economy........AND MY RIG GETTING HIT BY LIGHTENING, HAHAHAA!!

i am hopeful that things can turn around in the next year or 2 or else i may have to forget about this sport until i retire.

it is truly depressing at times. not that i am giving up. it's jsut that i WANT to go but can't. oh well.....never lose faith.
Old 07-28-12, 11:56 AM   #23
WTL

I guess I am going to go with Best Season Ever.

I started off the year with several alabama spots over 5 pounds.
Caught some redeyes in april, then I finished the bass grand slam a couple months back catching a few guadelupes.
Caught redband and brown trout in california
5 pound smallmouth in the south Umpqua river in oregon
Numerous brook trout near mount hood
Atlantic salmon from a lake in the cascade mountains on a dry fly. Also got a kokanee.
Caught a nice sea run cutthroat trout last weekend, and
yesterday morning, caught my first steelhead.

While the quality of fish isn't the greatest I have ever had, the diversity blows every other season out of the water.

On the way back hopefully I will add golden trout, pike, maybe a walleye which will all be new to me. Then I go back home to alabama and fish for the old standbys, but see if I can't continue some success.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0348(2)2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	8105

Name:	IMAG0966.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	8106

Name:	a (35).jpg
Views:	343
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	8107

Name:	salmonpic.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	8108

Name:	DSCN2572.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	8109

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	8110
Old 07-29-12, 10:02 AM   #24
bcklash

Quality and quanity wise I've had better years, but I have been on 2 trips this year on 2 of the best lakes in this country. Lake Okeechobee in Fla. and Dale Hollow in Tenn.

The weather was terrible on the Big O and the bite wasn't on, but what a lake. Massive and beautiful. Bandit hooked and fought an alligator for 6+ minutes. We got to see a Manatee, just awesome.

Name:	Fla. Trip And TIGERTOWN 063.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	8116

Name:	Fla. Trip And TIGERTOWN 072.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	8117
Dale Hollow, a deep clear lake that is just as beauitful. The weather was great and the bite was on. TOP WATER OH YEA!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dale Hollow 014.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	8113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dale Hollow 066.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	8114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dale Hollow 086.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	8115  
Old 07-29-12, 03:47 PM   #25
kennethdaysale

I'd say average as well. As of this mornings trip I have boated 861 bass in 60 trips. (does not count bluegill or anything except LMB) that's an average of 14.38 fish per trip and 2.38 fish per fishing hour. (I do not count fish that come unbuttoned). That puts me on pace to catch about 1500 bass this year.

Earlier in the year after reading blues count I thought I should try and get my fish per trip count up. When that didn't pan out I thought I should try and go more. After a couple of months I decided to just fish.
As far as size goes, the 7-13 I posted the other week is the biggest so far but I'm confident that I'll boat a double digit fish before it's over. I'm fishing where they are so it's up to me.

I've really had fun this year focusing on landing an outsized fish on 4 lb test. The six lber I posted at the first of the summer is the biggest this year yet, but I've caught 23 over 3 lbs. Thats fun on light line and light spinning gear, no matter who you are.

I sincerely hope the rest of the year is outstanding for all of yall. I'm going to eat Chick-fil-a once a week

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.