Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-09-12, 08:16 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Little input

I'm considering wading in a small Pad filled lake (pond )tommorrow but we got a temp drop to 59 degrees with all day rain, today so far anyways.
Tommorrow cloudy with 72 high temp.
Fishings been slow, catching fish, but slow none the less.

Now the sole purpose to go here is to frog fish the pads, wading the pads.
Getting there is no problem really but muck, sometimes deep muck, bottom, which is common in the pads. So the wade isn't real fun but if the frog bite is on, WoW. Plus the Northern are very aggressive. No size but aggresive all the same.

Now cold front, cold rain, cold air temp mean poor frog bite? Or does my out of the box thinking, (fishings been slow, high pressure dominating and no rain weather pattern last full week plus), so maybe the weather change is a plus?
The fish need something to change thier 'mood'. Anythings better than no change at all, right?

This trip can be done and does get done all summer long but the weather makes wearing bootfeet waders a little more comfortable, hence the idea.

I'm playing the doctor game tommorrow so the schedule is wide open.
Confusion is, maybe early pad bite won't be as good as mid day bite, chance for maybe sun to peak through clouds?
No sun makes for non-ideal pad fishing?
If there is no pad bite this place has no other options if your in the water.

Alternative plan.
With the rain I got a 60% chance that another large will have current and thats a great positive for SM.
Trips farther but spring fished here but with the lack of rain and low lake water hasn't been my choice this summer.

So whats the input?
Hey I got get my fix so I'll be gone to the water for a couple of hours but I truely hope you folks got this delema solved by then.

Serious, this situation will happen again and probably happening to more than just me, the Temp. change deal. So all input is very welcome no matter when your viewing it.
Old 08-09-12, 09:14 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

Water temp should still be high. If the sun's out do the pad wading thing.
None the less is nonetheless
Old 08-09-12, 09:24 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The bite has been slow here too the past several weeks mostly I think due to the drought and very high temps all summer long. But lately, we've had some good rains and cooler nights. The bite seems to be picking up again. You just might find the bass are a bit more agressive.
Old 08-09-12, 09:29 PM   #4
Jrob78

I'm only about 1000 miles southwest of you so it might be completely different, here, any kind of cooling period or rain will normally fire the fish up during the summer. It might be a cold front but it isn't going to have the same cold front effects as in the fall or winter. The high today was 106 though so my fishing and weather conditions are quite different from yours. I would definitely hit the pads, worst case scenario, you get to fish a frog for a couple of hours in beautiful weather
Old 08-09-12, 11:53 PM   #5
joedog

Ken, Kieth, Joe thanks.
Here's my thoughts.
I'm going to make a 4 am run to Delavan (big lake) and see if the dam got opened so there's water flow.
If yes I fish till 8, are pads and such here but they've been in real shallow water so almost impossible to shore fish. ( can't pull them back thru growth).
Play the Doc game at 9:15, hope he's ok with seeing me straight from fishing, and I should be able to be on the pads by 10:30-11. Thinking pads second is good choice cause other than sun theres not much that increases and decreases the pad bite other than water temp and that is what it is. Early, late shouldn't make a huge difference. I got 7 setups, all different. One with tieable wire in case those crazy Pike are active. 2 with braid, one hollow body, one ribbit (and poppers close at hand). Got a wacky and texas setup for worming. Got a Space Monkey setup incase I want a Lizzard and one still empty. (thats intentional cause it never fails, I'll wake up with some off the wall idea to try and I'm out cutting line and tieing on replacements before I even start...tricky aren't I?) The empty one is probably seeing a jig, finesse 1/4 oz. so I can swim it or drag it or hop it but the SM bite at bridge after bite slows a jig can alot times get a few more.
Man I almost forgot, got 8 setups....ya the flukes got get it's turn. Commitments are comitments after all.

All I got to say is LOOK OUT fish, Joe's got a plan!
Old 08-10-12, 12:21 PM   #6
joedog

Option one results....flat out stunk!
Water on lake is like 16in. low. Saw ducks 20 ft from shore standing in water, I could see thier leg tops. Wind was from north 20 miles an hour. temp was 56 and looking for low tonight of 46. What a crazy year. Hit three spots on lake but one I didn't fish....and yes I'm thinking of hitting it at daybreak tommorrow. It's shallow and the weed is thick but do to low water I think I can get outside it and fish towards shore and the outside edge of weed but with the weather, I'm not so sure.
Re-grouping and pulling lake map to be sure the wind isn't blowing into shore I want to fish at the next option.

Is persistance just a polite way of saying, "To dumb to quit"?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.