Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-09, 06:22 PM   #1
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Good reel for deeper cranks?

What would be the best reel under $100 for deeper running cranks (low gear ratio)? What reel do you use for this application? I've seen a few for under $100 with a low gear ratio like the BPS David Fritts, and Extreme, Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3, and the Shimano Corvalus. They seem like the best I can find. Have any of you used any of these? I think I remember people talking highly about the David Fritts. Are there any others out there I should check out?

Thanks
Jack
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 07:31 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hi Jersey, I'm planning to buy a reel for deep cranking myself and want to keep it about the same price range as you. I'm probably going to buy the BPS David Fritts reel in 4.7:1 gear ratio. The other two reels that I really like are the Shimano Curado CU200E5 and the Garcia Revo Winch. But at $180.00 and $200.00 I just cant do it at this time. I recently looked at a David Fritts and it seems like a pretty decent reel, although there are things I would definately change about it. At this time of year, I am holding out untill the 2010 models come out to see what shows up. It's a wait, but I really hate buying something and 6 months later really wishing I had waited.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 08:30 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Jersey, gear ratios are only half of the equation. The other half (which I think is more important) is line retrieved per handle turn.

Generally, the lower the gear ratio, the less line retrieved per handle turn. But this is not always the case. Here's a couple examples.

Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo has 6.4:1 gear ratio and reel in approx. 24" of line.
Daiwa Zillion has a 6.3:1 ratio and reels ~28"
Daiwa Zillion has a 7.1:1 ratio and reels ~31.5" of line
Daiwa Aggrest has a 7.3:1 Ratio and reels ~32" of line
Abu Garcia Revo Winch has a 5.4:1 and reels ~21"
Daiwa Zillion Cranking reel had a 4.9:1 ratio and reels ~22"
Abu Garcia Ambass. C3 has a 5.3:1 (or close to it) and while I don't know off the top of my head, I'd be willing to get it reels close to 30" of line.

I hope this helps explain that just because a reel has a low gear ration doesn't mean it reels in a small amount of line. And you want a reel with less line per handle turn for deep cranks.

BB
Old 08-05-09, 08:40 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

i had some of the fritts reels and while they worked ok for a while they sure didn't stand the test of time very well. i think i got about 6 months use out of one and about 7 or 8 months out of the other. since then i went to revo winchs' for my crankbaits so that all my reels are revos (all my other reels are revo sx's). in my honest opinion the best reel in your price range is the bass pro extreme. i don't own any of these reels but have used a lot of them because my dad has a bunch of them and is yet to have any problems. they all cast well and are very smooth. they have a model that is 5.4:1 grear ratio so that would be perfect for your crankbait needs.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ems#itemDetail
Old 08-05-09, 09:37 PM   #5
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For deep crankbaits go with a slower gear ratio. This will help you fish through the cover throughly with out getting hung up as much. But really you really don't reel a crank straight through the cover, you kinda work it through like a t-riged splastic. I have a 5:1;1 reel, and a 4:1:1 gear ratio reel. I like them both, but perfer the 5:1:1. The 4:1:1 can be alittle slow at times. If you're fishing into a stiff wind or current, the reel has a hard time keeping up with recovering slack line. I suggest go with a 5:1:1, these are good all around ratio for any crankbait, deep divers and squarebills! Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 03:28 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i had some of the fritts reels and while they worked ok for a while they sure didn't stand the test of time very well. i think i got about 6 months use out of one and about 7 or 8 months out of the other.

hmmm i have used my fritts reels for 3 years now with no problems...

zooker
Old 08-06-09, 05:45 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

zooker
Hey Zooker, how ya doin buddy? Are you tossing the 4.7 Fritts or the 5.3 ? Glad to see your latest round hasn't kept you from the forums!
Old 08-07-09, 11:23 AM   #8
zooker

both keith.. i use a 4.7 quite a bit but i do have the 5.3 which i sometimes use on shallow cranks..

oh ya the happiness of high power chemo..headaches of bad hang over propotions,your intestins tied up in super happy knots.a slight change of smell and your all head down in a bucket...ya keith this aint the most fun you'll ever have...

zooker
Old 08-07-09, 02:53 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

zooker
one developed a problem in the brakes, no matter how loose you had the tension knob or how many brakes you had backed off it wouldn't cast 20 yards. this all happened at once too it didn't gradually get worse.

the other had a problems in the gears, you may make to or three cast and everything go fine and then for 10 minutes the handle was hard to turn. i limped through a tourney with it this way and said never again.
Old 08-08-09, 09:17 AM   #10
zooker

rig you know me. i have a pile of reels i crank with..i absolutly love the old silver quantum mag gear 1310 reels..i have some 20 of them..the 5.1 gearin on these reels are great for nearly every type of cranking..i do have two gold 1310's in the crawling 3.8 geared reel thats only jobs are the deep cranking...

it is very hard to find a decent long lived reel any more..but when you do find a reel that will be reliable over many years without fail..you tend to stick with that reel..

zooker
Old 08-08-09, 11:47 AM   #11
keithdog

I was looking at the David Fritts reel at BPS and I noticed there was no left plate dial for any megnetic casting brakes. The guy at BPS told me he didn't like the Fritts reel because it didnt have dual breaks. But I was also reading reviews of the Fritts reel on line, and nearly everyone loved this reel. However, there were a few who complained about having to remove a screw to remove the left sideplate to access the megnetic breaks. So I'm a little confused. Does the Fritts casting reel have dual breaks or not? Does it have a megnetic breaking system?
Old 08-08-09, 12:40 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
rig you know me. i have a pile of reels i crank with..i absolutly love the old silver quantum mag gear 1310 reels..i have some 20 of them..the 5.1 gearin on these reels are great for nearly every type of cranking..i do have two gold 1310's in the crawling 3.8 geared reel thats only jobs are the deep cranking...

it is very hard to find a decent long lived reel any more..but when you do find a reel that will be reliable over many years without fail..you tend to stick with that reel..

zooker
that is why i went with the revo winch for my crankbait reels. i have a bunch of revo sx's and have yet to have any problems at all, so i decided that all of my reels would be revos.........the winch for crankbait reels and sx for all my other reels.
Old 08-08-09, 01:41 PM   #13
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I was looking at the David Fritts reel at BPS and I noticed there was no left plate dial for any megnetic casting brakes. The guy at BPS told me he didn't like the Fritts reel because it didnt have dual breaks. But I was also reading reviews of the Fritts reel on line, and nearly everyone loved this reel. However, there were a few who complained about having to remove a screw to remove the left sideplate to access the megnetic breaks. So I'm a little confused. Does the Fritts casting reel have dual breaks or not? Does it have a megnetic breaking system?

Keith,
The Fritts reel uses the 6 pin centrifugal cast control.

Right out of the box this reel has worked very well; obviously I only have had to adjust the tension knob, even when casting the 1/4oz. shallow cranks.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 04:46 PM   #14
keithdog

Thanks woody
Old 08-09-09, 06:50 PM   #15
zooker

i am with woody on the fritts reel...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.