Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-11, 02:32 PM   #1
KTurmel
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod Specs

what spinning rod length and action should i get for light rubbers, jerk baits? thanks
KTurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 02:45 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mh generally,length is often determined by the individual and where used out of a boat or on the bank.6 1/2 ft is about standard,I like shorter with a spinning in a boat with a jerkbait as hold the rod down.
Unfortunately their is no standardization of rod actions etc by mfg ones mh is someone elses med ,and a spinning outfit is to me a tad softer than a baitcast.
I like a lil softer for a jerkbait as treble hooks so possibly a med with some mfg.
Again with spinning often they are like a med in a med heavy,pays to have hands on to test.
Slower tip action with the crank or jerkbait rod and faster and stouter for the worm.
As one runs a crankbait or jerkbait forward the fish hooks itself,rod needs to give a lil in top 1/3,with a worm you must feel the tap and set the hook,and be able to pull it out and up sort of horsing the fish,therefore needing it not to flex as much in that top 1/3 .

Last edited by lilmule; 02-26-11 at 02:56 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 02:48 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

To me it depends on how and where you plan to use these lures. That being said, I have a 6-1/2MH-F spinning rod that I use for many uses with lighter lures. It covers many situations I run into. I have it spooled with 30 pound Power Pro braid with has the diameter of 8 pound mono.

Last edited by keithdog; 02-27-11 at 02:26 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 08:09 AM   #4
pig n jig

If its hard jerkbaits, I wouldn't think that you would want anything over 6'6" in length, 6' would be better to acheive the desired action without hitting the rod tip into things while working the action on the jerkbait.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 12:14 PM   #5
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTurmel View Post
what spinning rod length and action should i get for light rubbers, jerk baits? thanks
Never use light rubbers. Go ahead and spring for the good stuff. The light ones break too easy.

Oh, you meant plastic worms and the such. My bad. Nevermind.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 12:39 PM   #6
nofearengineer

When you say "light" rubbers....do you mean clear or paper bag brown?
Old 03-14-11, 06:26 PM   #7
islandbass

Some people refer to plastics as rubbers, but anybody could see the puns to play on light rubbers? Reminds of the joke about the difference between a hooker and a frog...
Old 03-14-11, 09:50 PM   #8
Bassboss

Face palm! LMAO!!

MH is a spinning rod action for jerkbaits if you're around cover, spooled up with 10lb mono and you're set.

If the cover is lighter, M is better.

Just my opinion.. could be wrong.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.