Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-30-09, 03:01 AM   #26
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm going to be facing this same idea soon, giving up my boat which I did so well on fishing my way in tournements. Now joining bigger tournements as a co-angler, hopefully your experience does not become mine and I have a chance to actually fish.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 01:54 PM   #27
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

I am sorry to hear about your first experience in a tourney. Do not give up after just one outing. I would give it a few more tries before you make any hasty decisions.

Some clubs you have to get on a waiting list, and I waited a year to get into my club... and now that I'm in... I'll NEVER leave!

I am still new to our club as I joined as a co-angler last year, but I have never come across anything like what you went through. In fact, the majority of the time, I was overwhelmingly suprised at how accomodating the boaters are to the co-anglers in our club.

I've been asked "Where do you want to go?" or "Do you want the front of the boat for awhile?". Sometimes I take them up on the offer, and sometimes I actually rather just fish the back, mostly because of my inexperience with the trolling motor etc. Once I get more comfortable with that, and become more of a presence in the club, I will definitely speak up more when asked those types of questions. The main point I'm trying to make is, at least it feels good to know that they show some respect to the co-angler and at least acknowledge your presence.

I know 8hrs would probably feel like an eternity, especially with the type of outing you had, but don't let this one experience ruin your chances and opportunities that being in a club presents.

I know joining my club has been one of the best experiences in my life!

Well Good Luck!
Old 03-31-09, 09:52 AM   #28
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Man you got to shrug this tournament off. I just fished the BFL Ozark at Grand Lake and I got put on shore the entire freaking day. The guy I was with was paralleling banks all day with a crankbait with the trolling motor on high. We are fishing clear water by the way. I could troll a crankbait he was going so fast down the banks. His batteries went dead at about noon and I wonder why? There was no need to fish that fast because he ran out of spots around 11:00 oçlock anyways. We got a cold hard rain and the bigger fish moved out a little bit but this guy insisted on fishing really shallow for the 14 inch fish. I couldn't fish deep because the boat was always moving. I couldn't fish anything with the right presentation. Your not gonna win with those kind of fish so why even fish for them. I couldn't fish anything the entire day because I could hardly get anything to go to the bottom or have a second or two to make a good presentation. Pretty soon I just started casting over his head and didn't care. My boater didn't cash a check anyways. I was so pissed I didn't give him any gas money either. I didn't drive 6 hours to put up with all this. I'm not the kind of guy that can sometimes stick up for him self because I don't have the heart tell people off but I let him know to his face how pissed I was. Don't feel too bad though. Just look forward to the next one.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 08:16 PM   #29
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

I fished as a co-angler for two years before buying a boat this past summer. I am now fishing as a boater in two tournament series and I have never had a problem with a boater or coangler. That being said I want to ask you if you tone was negative throughout the day? It can be very irritating to any angler if the pattern you discovered while pre-fishing dissapears on tournament day, having someone else in the back of the boat complaining the whole time does not make the situation any better and I imagine it makes it easier for an angler to say "Screw it, I am not winning but I don't want this guy to get the satisfaction of me moving." I don't want it to sound like i am justifying the response of the boater (since I don't), I am just saying that to prevent it in the future I would always fish with the attitude of "I am just glad to be fishing." Once you build up a solid reputation in the club of someone who is fun to have on the boat and someone who pays for gas you will have guys more willing to motor all over the lake to find fish and if they limit before you they will probably be more willing to give you first shot at those prime locations to make sure you catch your limit. If you were nice the whole time and this guy was still a dick then forget what I just said and speak to the tournament director before this guy tells the rest of the club how you stiffed him on gas money.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.