Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-29-09, 02:32 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default It was almost a top water

Made it out to the pond today for a few hours. My ability to cast was pretty bad. Not due to weather, wind, or even a hang over. I just couldn't hit my spots. The tullies are now the proud owner of a spook and a horny toad on a good dual frog hook.
After changing my plan to not see just how close to the tullie I could get I switched over to a buzz bait. The intersesting thing was that every bite came prior to the bait actually reaching the surface after the cast. I have had that happen a couple of times before, but this morning was the first time I saw it happen for every fish. The buzz bait got hit about 2 foot below the surface 7 times with 5 of th efish actually making it to my hand.
Prior to the tullie grave, the spook did fine on the top and netted two fish. No monsters in the bunch, but this one wasn't too bad. She actually left the water with the bait on the strike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29 March Buzz Bait fish.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	3355

Heading back out after some lunch for a swimbait session in a trout stocked lake.
Old 03-29-09, 02:49 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

alright cass. great pic man. and while it ain't no sow belly, it ain't no dink like most of mine,lol. that is a nice fish there pal.
Old 03-29-09, 02:50 PM   #3
Jim80

nice fish cass good luck with the swimbaits .

jim
Old 03-29-09, 02:52 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I love a good buzzait or spook bite. It's tough to beat for a good thump. Is that a double wing buzz? I have never used them.
Old 03-29-09, 03:09 PM   #5
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I love a good buzzait or spook bite. It's tough to beat for a good thump. Is that a double wing buzz? I have never used them.

Yes Bubba, it is a double wing. They are pretty much the only style I throw. I like them best because I can tune them to adjust for the water disruption by moving the blades closer or further apart.
The one I used today was a mom and pop bait I picked up at a swap meet. unlike my conventional name brand baits, that one has lasted fish after fish.
Old 03-29-09, 03:23 PM   #6
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's a nice bass. Gotta love the topwater.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 07:41 PM   #7
keithdog

Way to go. Sounds like you had a pretty fun time there, except for the lost lures of course. But thats what happens to me every year my first time out after ice up casting from shore. Lost a jig and a chatterbait last weekend. ugh
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 02:25 AM   #8
CCbass

My only thought, why is your buzzbait two feet below the water. My buzzbait starts on top a few inches from landing and only sinks a few inches, maybe a bouble blade spinnerbait reeled two feet down would create the same result.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 01:58 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

i love topwater bite.... my first huge explosion on a topwater was when i was about 7 and i was throwin a spook and the fish were schoolin.... this one fish comes up and smashed it.... i was so scared i jumped (almost out of the boat) and never set the hook

my dad laughed at me for that one....... glad you caught em tho cass
Old 03-30-09, 02:01 PM   #10
Bassboss

Nice bass cass! Good buzz bait fish for sure!

Was throwing a buzz bait this week and, never caught anything on it!
Old 03-30-09, 02:18 PM   #11
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
My only thought, why is your buzzbait two feet below the water. My buzzbait starts on top a few inches from landing and only sinks a few inches, maybe a bouble blade spinnerbait reeled two feet down would create the same result.

On the inital cast, mine will sink down until I have reeled in the slack. I thought all would do that. On a shorter side armed cast this happens faster than the long overhand casts I was doing from shore that day. The spinner blade might do the same thing, but my double bladed spinning baits have not generated the same results. I would only guess that it is because of a slightly different profile.
Old 03-30-09, 02:31 PM   #12
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Made it out to the pond today for a few hours. My ability to cast was pretty bad. Not due to weather, wind, or even a hang over. I just couldn't hit my spots.
My God man!... your GrandDad had just passed away...

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 04:15 AM   #13
CCbass

Buzzbaits and throwing them, they should hit and be on top within seconds. Switching hands as they fall if baitcasting, or reducing slack if a spinning reel, the quicker they achieve there purpose the more they will produce. Just my thought because I get a lot of strikes within a few reels of them landing.
Old 03-31-09, 10:46 AM   #14
cassidyta

I agree with you on how to normally use them. That being said, if I am focusing on a smaller area, I will vary the presentation. I will always make my first few casts as you described, but then allow the bait to sink more on the next few. This technique was learned by mistake for me following a backlash that forced me to allow the bait to go to the bottom.
Since that time, I have found that I have been able to trigger strikes with a stop and go on the bait. I like to bring it back to the surface quickly, forcing it to almost lunge out of the water. I will also do a lot of stop and go, allowing th ebait to sink down a foot or two before repeating.
Old 03-31-09, 10:18 PM   #15
hookset on 3

Cass, I've gotta try that. I always start reeling before the buzzbait even lands. That way the props are causing lift on impact.
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 10:47 AM   #16
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
You should be reeling as soon as your buzzbait hits the water.If you will be fishing 2 ft. down you might want to try a spinnerbait.
Old 04-04-09, 01:59 PM   #17
cassidyta

Bassintom,

I completely agree, but for whatever reason, they did not care about the spinner but the wrongly thrown buzzbait was working. I guess the darn bass just wouldn't read the manual.
Old 04-07-09, 12:26 AM   #18
CCbass

Fact is at times we just don't know, you catch a fish on a wierd presentation of a bait from a backlash or whatever. You think oh this bait would be better for that type of situation, you try it and nothing, go back to the wierd one and bang. 90% of the time the other thought ( spinnerbait ) would work, so I guess its better to know the "bait" that should work, then not, for the times when it should work and make for a great day.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.