Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-09-14, 12:17 PM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fishing Trip Prep

I have learned not to rely on my memory when planning a fishing trip. So I made a laminated check-off list I keep handy in the boat and I use it each time I connect the boat and trailer to my truck to head out on a fishing trip. The list makes sure I don't forget anything on the hook-up or leave behind my cooler or camera. It once reminded me I had forgotten to insert the cotter pin to lock the latch for the hitch. Another time it reminded me I had forgotten to pivot up and lock my trailer jack. I also have a check-off list on my computer I bring up and read to remind me all the things I need to do in the house prior to a trip, like setting the alarm clock to making a lunch. Once at the ramp usually me and a buddy will unfasten the boat from the trailer. When we are ready to back down the ramp I do a walk-around to be sure all is uncoupled. About a month back I did the walk-around and saw that my buddy had removed the stern straps but forgot to remove the transom saver. When loading the boat at the ramp and fastening the boat to the trailer I also do a walk-around before heading home. Once home and after backing the trailer into the garage I get out and check all the trailer lights. Should a light be out I can then fix it before planning another fishing trip. I hate to hook up my boat and trailer at 4:30 AM and then find out I have a trailer tail light that won't illuminate. Anyone on the forum do like I do, or do you have an excellent memory?
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 01:49 PM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Neither ... I definitely do NOT have a memory to speak of.
I also don't use a check list. Up until a couple of years ago, my boat was locked on top of the van. All of my equipment is IN the van.
I now have the boat on a trailer, but all the equipment is still inside. I just move the stuff from the van to the boat to go fishing, and from the boat to the van when I am done.
Hooking the boat up is all at the hicth for me, so I don't "forget" much there.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.