Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-29-09, 11:50 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Soft swimbait rigging idea.

This is going to be my first year of fishing with soft swimbaits, such as the Yum Money Minnow. I used them for the first time late last fall so I havn't had much opportunity to try them out yet. The one complaint that I hear more than others when using this bait is the poor hookup ratio. There seems to be a lot of missed fish when using this lure. Or so I hear. The basic setup as most here know involves a large wide gap offset hook in say a 6/0 or larger. The minnow is rigged texas style through the nose, up through the belly and out the back where the point of the hook is barely slipped just under the lures skin. Often a weighted hook is used where the weight is on the shank of the hook, and hides in the belly. It's a pretty basic and simple rigging. But there still seems to be many fish that fail to get hooked for whatever reason.
Now forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I havn't seen it mentioned. So here goes. Next time, after you run the point of the hook through the nose of the minow, slip a treble hook onto the main hook shank before turning it up into the belly and out the back. I'm figuring a size 2 treble would be about right. Then finish rigging the main hook as normal. This will leave you with a normally rigged soft swim bait, with a single treble hook hanging from the belly of the minnow. I can't see that addition adversly affecting the swimbaits swimming motion, and it should drastically improve hookup ratios. As long as the water your fishing isn't heavily weeded or brush filled, I think this should work. I know I'm going to give it a try.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:16 AM   #2
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

Keithdog,
You're definetely on the right track. However, Rick Tietz designed these last year and they might save you the headache and give you a really solid rig to work with.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...BI-BRHSBI.html
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:51 AM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
This is going to be my first year of fishing with soft swimbaits, such as the Yum Money Minnow. I used them for the first time late last fall so I havn't had much opportunity to try them out yet. The one complaint that I hear more than others when using this bait is the poor hookup ratio. There seems to be a lot of missed fish when using this lure. Or so I hear. The basic setup as most here know involves a large wide gap offset hook in say a 6/0 or larger. The minnow is rigged texas style through the nose, up through the belly and out the back where the point of the hook is barely slipped just under the lures skin. Often a weighted hook is used where the weight is on the shank of the hook, and hides in the belly. It's a pretty basic and simple rigging. But there still seems to be many fish that fail to get hooked for whatever reason.
Now forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I havn't seen it mentioned. So here goes. Next time, after you run the point of the hook through the nose of the minow, slip a treble hook onto the main hook shank before turning it up into the belly and out the back. I'm figuring a size 2 treble would be about right. Then finish rigging the main hook as normal. This will leave you with a normally rigged soft swim bait, with a single treble hook hanging from the belly of the minnow. I can't see that addition adversly affecting the swimbaits swimming motion, and it should drastically improve hookup ratios. As long as the water your fishing isn't heavily weeded or brush filled, I think this should work. I know I'm going to give it a try.
I've been doing that for years, and not just with the "new" soft swimmers. I've done it when fishing Trick Worms barely subsurface and some other softies as well, to include experiments involving JDC Skip 'n Pops
It's a good idea and thanks for sharing it with everyone.
The only drawbacks are that, with the smaller soft minnows, the treble may disrupt water flow to an extent that it affects tail action.(Best to test before you fish.) and that if the main hook is torn completly through the plastic the treble may slip off and the fish be lost...with a hook in him. That scenario is, thanks be, unlikely but possible nonetheless.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 06:37 AM   #4
keithdog

I thought about that Lancer, about the treble possibly comming off if the main hook tore completely away. But then I figured it wouldn't be any more likely that a trailer hook on say a buzzbait or spinnerbait.
Old 03-30-09, 06:42 AM   #5
keithdog

Thats an interresting looking rig supermat.
Old 03-30-09, 07:34 AM   #6
JB

Keith,
thats the same rig I use with the exception of the design of the weight, the only thing I've seen is sometimes on tube like swimbaits I may need to superglue the head near the eyelet, at times it backs off and you have to re adjust the plastic, that link Mat sent may be the remedy.Good luck!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 01:55 PM   #7
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah im pretty sure that set up is called a stinger..... some hard swimbaits come with em..... but yeah its a good idea...... that weighted hook on tacklewarehouse look like it would be hard to get into the swimbait
Old 03-30-09, 02:41 PM   #8
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
yeah im pretty sure that set up is called a stinger..... some hard swimbaits come with em..... but yeah its a good idea...... that weighted hook on tacklewarehouse look like it would be hard to get into the swimbait
To be honest, I'm not a big hollow belly swimbait guy. For a lot of what I do, they just aren't big enough. Plus, I really like the swim jig. However, they have a place and occasionally, I have to use them. Because of that I've purchased some blade runner heads from blade runner in the past. They aren't hard to use. All I did was make a slit where the jig hook will be coming out and slide the head forward into the bait. Then used some mend-it to close the hole back around the jig hook. ...not as easy as say, a tube hook, but definetely not hard.

Last edited by supermat; 03-30-09 at 07:15 PM.
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 03:14 PM   #9
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

some of the locals slip a small treble over the main hookpoint on top of the lure and bury the point of the treble in the back leaving two prongs up and facing forward just behind the rigging hook......when a fish is on, they just try not to give it any slack....works surprisingly well.....

Another possibility, rig with your method but crimp on a splitshot just behind your treble to keep it on and provide a horazontal fall as well....a bubby rig with a stinger.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 05:16 PM   #10
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I thought about that Lancer, about the treble possibly comming off if the main hook tore completely away. But then I figured it wouldn't be any more likely that a trailer hook on say a buzzbait or spinnerbait.
Keith,

Most, and hopefully ALL use a retainer when adding a trailer to spin or buZZZZZZZZZZZ bait.
I use the following three:
A piece of surgical tubing, perhaps 1/3" in length; I push it over the eye oof the trailer, leaving it centered on the eye, then impale the eye and tubing on the point of the lure's hook and move it down to the bend of the hook. Sometimes I push it a little further so the trailer angles down a bit, like the tailhook on a naval aircraft. This might assure a hookup when a miss might otherwise result.
Downside: You'll need to adjust it now and then to keep it oriented in line with the main hook.

A piece of semi-hard neoprene tubing, like model aircraft fuel line; I place the trailer hook on the lure hook and then force the neoprene, 1/4" worth, onto the lure's hook, past the barb (Don't pierce the retainer, slip it on like a latex birth control device. You'll need to select a tubing with just enough interior diameter to allow application but prevent slippage back over the barb of the lure's hook.) This allows the trailer to swing freely and trail the lure hook in alignment with same during retrieve.

Using a hole punch, I poke out a piece of a plastic coffee can lid or an old piece of Tupperware. After placing the trailer on the lure's hook I center the little disk of plastic on the barb and push 'er on.
Downside: Stabbing one's finger.

It would be irresponsible to NOT use a retainer and thus run the risk of leaving a hook in a fish's mouth should the trailer slip off.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 06:56 PM   #11
keithdog

I agree Lancer, ya really should use a retainer. I use the surgical tubing myself. Can't really see the hook comming off with a retainer being used. Hey Mac, thats another good idea about adding the treble to the back of the lure. And the split shot idea sounds good as well. Actually, I have some weights made specifically for adding weight to the shank of a hook like that. With these lures being fairly new and hook manufacturers just now within the past year comming out with hooks made for these lures, I wouldn't be suprised if someone markets the perfect rig setup soon.
Old 03-30-09, 07:57 PM   #12
Bassboss

Sound like a good idea Kieth! I would not use it in grass or any kind of weeds or brush, I may try on my fat money minnows! Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone used the fat monies?
Old 03-30-09, 11:29 PM   #13
keithdog

I havn't used them yet, but I like the idea of the two pockets to insert weights built into the lure.
Old 03-31-09, 01:36 AM   #14
hookset on 3

KD, take a look at the Owner Stinger Harness.Seems like a surefire way of nailin those short strikers

Hookset
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 06:13 PM   #15
lowrider

hookset, that's the first thing that came to my mind. here's the link.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-OSHR.html
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:38 PM   #16
hookset on 3

Default Attaching a URL

Lowrider, I've got to fiqure out how to include website adresses and links to my posts. So anyway, thanks for showing Keith that Owner rig. I'll tell ya, Owner has produced a lot or innovative rigs over the years.Many of them are similiar to new hooks and jig heads that new players in the tackle game are getting credit for. For example, the Owner Ultra Heads bullet head jig. They have had that in their line up for many years but Tru-Tungsten made it popular with their new Ikey Heads. Another example is the Owner long shank worm hook that has an adjustable rubber stop. Reaction Innovations just came out with the BMF hook with the rubber stop that keeps your soft plastic from sliding down the shank. If you think of anymore let me know.

Hookset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
hookset, that's the first thing that came to my mind. here's the link.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-OSHR.html
Old 03-31-09, 09:44 PM   #17
lowrider

it's just a copy/paste thing to put a link in your post. i open a new tab, go to site x, copy address then come back here and paste.

some of the other guys (JB) do the shorter "click" button but i don't know how to do that
Old 03-31-09, 10:17 PM   #18
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
it's just a copy/paste thing to put a link in your post. i open a new tab, go to site x, copy address then come back here and paste.

some of the other guys (JB) do the shorter "click" button but i don't know how to do that
1) Type your message, but don't post it.

2) Go back and highlight whatever words within your message you want to associate the link to. With the words highlighted, click on this symbol in the row of options above the box where you're typing the message. A pop-up box will appear where you can paste the URL that others will be taken to when they click on the word(s) that you marked.

3) Should you want to, you can use "Preview Post" and try out your
link to make sure it works before you actually post your message.

Here is an example.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 10:19 PM   #19
lowrider

cool, thanks for the lesson.
Old 04-06-09, 10:00 PM   #20
Tall

Well I was in Grapevine TX. at Bass Pro over the weekend and got about $150 of big swim baits, worms and tubes. I well try the stinger hook idea out. Some of them worms look 2 foot long I got with some of the swim and tube baits in the 7 to 8" range. The saleman said he rigs a stinger on the long worms at Lake Fork. I picked up the 10-12" baits and thought surely since we don't stock trout here that they would be to big and put them back. Any way I will head down lowriders way and try them out in a few weeks.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 12:32 AM   #21
hookset on 3

Smile copy & paste

Quote:

Hey Lowrider, I'm a little technologically challenged,so many thanks for the instructions.
Old 04-07-09, 12:35 AM   #22
hookset on 3

Default copy & paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
1) Type your message, but don't post it.

2) Go back and highlight whatever words within your message you want to associate the link to. With the words highlighted, click on this symbol in the row of options above the box where you're typing the message. A pop-up box will appear where you can paste the URL that others will be taken to when they click on the word(s) that you marked.

3) Should you want to, you can use "Preview Post" and try out your
link to make sure it works before you actually post your message.

Here is an example.
Hello Watterboy, thanks for the detailed instructions. I owe you one.

Hookset
Old 04-07-09, 01:41 AM   #23
Love of the Sport

click
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 01:53 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't know how to do that either... I use Owner's Beast hooks for swimbaits. I reall ylike the spring keeper on the owner hooks. I haven't fished many swimbaits, but the treble hook is definately a good idea in open water w/o a lot of weeds.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.