Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-27-05, 09:58 PM   #1
smalltcklebox
BassFishin.Com Member

Default night fishing in shallow pond

i get the most fishing in after 9 when the miss's goes to bed. just a 100 yds from 2.5 acre pond with big fish. caught couple 5lbs this year in it and have a 9lb out of it. 90% of pond is 5ft and less with little cover. couple of ducks and a beaver some how in it. what is the best topwater for it in you experienced fisherman. relatively new to fishing and have a couple of topwaters just don't know what the stats say?no moon out tonight so whats best?thanxs
smalltcklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 11:10 PM   #2
XStreamFisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to XStreamFisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltcklebox
...pond with big fish...no moon out...
After the wife and kids are a sleep I also roam the local lakes, ponds, and the river. With your focus on big bass, I've caught most of my 10+ on Rapala's J-13 (black and silver) slowly retrieved just enough to make it wriggle. It looks big but compare it to the average size shiner, it's actually smaller. J-9 is a smaller version and I've caught a LOT of brim on them. In fact I think I have a picture of a brim on one. Also for shallow ponds I also like to use an 8" to 12" black worm, black spook, and of course the original black jitterbug 5/8 oz. My best nights have always been the darkest.

Here's a brim on a J-11 so don't hesitate on using the J-13.
XStreamFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 07:59 AM   #3
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Use a Popper or Spook
Old 07-28-05, 09:55 AM   #4
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Jitterbug Or A Popper. Noisy Stuff. Jitterugs Are Awesome On Small Ponds.
Old 07-28-05, 06:11 PM   #5
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't like a popper at night. The retrieve is too erratic. A straight retrieve is generally better at night making it easier on bass to home in on the lure. I like a jitterbug or a buzzbait at night. The darker it is out the more productive black is. Black creates a silouette against the sky.
Old 07-28-05, 08:15 PM   #6
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

jitterbugs, poppers, and spooks. Also a black 7" rubber worm with no weight besides the hook. You'll be happy, trust me.
NJRapala46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 09:41 PM   #7
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Black Jitterbug. Thats all you need. If you want to change it up, throw a jig up along the bank (within inches). I would definately tie on a jitterbug and hold on. Nite fishing topwater, you cant beat it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 10:06 PM   #8
smalltcklebox
BassFishin.Com Member

thanxs guys for info.went tonight with jitterbug and caught 3. biggest maybe 2lbs but that sound at night is awesome.can scare you to death when real dark but none the less exciting. thanxs for the info, really helpful and rewarding.
smalltcklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 11:32 AM   #9
KenDammit

haha, no matter how many times I have caught fish at night on topwater, it is still startling every time they blow up on a lure. The sound, the sudden eruption of water, not being able to see exactly what hit the lure...it feels so good and is such an adrenaline rush. I think its so startling due to the usual stillness of water at night along with all the "busy" sounds gone. Its so quiet and peaceful then WHAM!!
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 11:36 AM   #10
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i love that feeling even if its under water. you cant see your line. you can only feel where the fish is going. nothing beats it. the best thing is you dont know how big it is until you are lipping it.
Old 08-02-05, 10:43 AM   #11
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation

use either a popper or acrankbait, maybe a rattle trap,at night most of the fish use thier lateral line more than anything.use anything that has a lot of noise or vibration during the night

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.