Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-05-06, 02:38 AM   #1
sebastian
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking Which Rod and reel?

Hey! My Name is Sebastian and I'm a exchange student from germany studying for 2 semester @ San Diego State University! Fishing is my favorite hobby and now I want go fishing for largemouth bass here in san diego.
But first of all I need a new rod and rell, because i left all my tackle back in germany.
And that's the point where i need your help.
First of all the rods: I'd looked for the Team Daiwa X-drop shot finesse and for the quantum tour editon pt. Both as spinning rods, because i'm not very into using a baitcasting reel? is there anybody here who has some experience withe these rods and can give me some advice which one i should buy?
And i need a new spinning reel. I took a closer look @ the quantum energy pti and i have to say that i'm thinking about bying this reel.

But first of i would like to have some recomendations from you because i have no experience in fishing bass.

thank you very much in advance for all your help!

Sebastian
sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 05:57 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off, welcome to the forum and the world of bass fishing. Quantum makes a excellent reel. Very user friendly and will give you good sevice. Quantum has really done there homework and turned out some excellant reels latley. The team diawa rod is ok. Depending on the amount of money you want to spend on a rod may I suggest a airrus rod. There warranty is fantastic and the actions and sensitivity are only surpassed by rods costing much more. There will be alot of other recommendations this is just my .02 worth.
Old 05-05-06, 11:27 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

AiRRUS rods are one of my favorites too now after using a couple of them for a few months now. I would say your choices so far are good ones, but I'm not a quantum or daiwa user myself, that's your call in the end. I would recommend trying a baitcaster if your interested, I found they really give you alot of muscle/power to fight bigger fish, and in San Diego, you will find some bigger fish for sure. Look at the Shimano Curado or the Castiac baitcaster for the reel, and maybe the Shimano Crucial for the rod, there's so many very good choices out there. Good Luck and again, welcome to the states.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 03:43 PM   #4
flbassman

Welcome to the states and to the site. I personally do not like Quantums, but that is my opinion only, and I am far from an expert. A good site to browse is bassresource.com
There is a lot to learn there, and once you learn the basics of Bass fishing, you can learn advanced stuff quickly. You're in big bass country, go catch the next record.
Old 05-05-06, 06:09 PM   #5
bass kicker

welcome to the forum i would suggest the quantum rod and reel because they make a decent rod and reel
Old 05-05-06, 06:35 PM   #6
sebastian
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for all your support so far! i thought about that too and i like the quantum tour rod, but the energy is, from my point of view a lil bit too heavy for this rod.
Back in germany i'm just fishing shimano or daiwa reels.
And because of that I thought about getting a twin power fg or a stradic from shimano. These reels are a lil bit more expensive but lighter than the energy!
Old 05-05-06, 07:34 PM   #7
sebastian
BassFishin.Com Member

by the way can anyone give me some info where to go and start fishing here in San Diego? I thought about Lake Murray

What do you think?
Old 05-05-06, 08:46 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at the Shimano Symetere-not as expensive as the Stradic but still a sweet reel. I've got a couple and really like them, although I don't use spinning gear all that much.

For a rod regardless what you get I'd go with a medium action-that's a good all around action for a spinning rod.

As far as tips, being in south Texas I can't help you with specifics with that lake, but I can suggest a technique-a wacky rig. This is what it looks like if you are not familiar with it:

Yes, that goofy looking rig will catch bass, and lots of them . Any straight tailed worm will work. Just cast it out, let it sink, and watch your line. Often you won't feel a hit-your line will just start to tighten up. I throw them around cover like submerged trees, weeds, rock, etc. Good luck!
Old 05-05-06, 10:43 PM   #9
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Reb, I know you guys swear by the wacky rig but I just haven't been able to do squat with that rig, but I will continue to give it a shot.
Old 05-05-06, 11:03 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Keep throwing it, bassguy-you WILL get bit eventually!
Old 05-05-06, 11:07 PM   #11
skeeter944

welcome to the forum! as far as rods go,you can get an extreme rod from bass pro shops on sale for around $60 or $70. for reels,i like quantums.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 03:06 PM   #12
agambill
BassFishin.Com Member

Cant go wrong with Shimano. If youre looking to go cheap and good try a Cherrywood. I really dig the action. Ultra cheap too.
agambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 06:41 PM   #13
zooker

i have 2 energy pti spinning reels. both work flawlessly are smoother than butter. i have used the quatum rods they are good rods. the team diawa rod well.. it is alright -not that i would trade a beat up old fenwick for a new one-but i find the handle to be to small in diamater for my big old paw.

trick here is find what feels good to YOU. ask 30 guys on here what rod is better and your likly to get 20 differant answers..

zooker
Old 05-12-06, 11:23 PM   #14
sebastian
BassFishin.Com Member

Thx again for all your help!
Finally I've bought my new rod and reel yesterday! I decided to go for the quantum tour edtion rod in combination with the Shimano Stradic 1000FH. I also decided to go for the McCoy xtra Clear Co-Polymer Line in 6lbs and the Berkley Vanish Transition Fluocarbon Line in 4lbs. I'm going to try this combination tomorrow and will of course post my results and hopefully some nice pictures.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.