Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-04-11, 01:12 PM   #1
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What would you fish here?

My lake has been down lately, and I've been fishing this little stretch of water at my lake. It can't be over 4' or 5', but the water has a good green tint to it and is a great place to fish. The temperature was about 60 or 65 and was very windy. I fished there for around 2 hours for Bass when I just gave it up and brought out the Carp rods . I tossed a Spinnerbait and Buzzbait all around looking for active fish but nada, didn't get any strikes. I then slowed down and fished a 7.5" T-rigged worm but still, no strikes. Are the Bass not up shallow yet? I may need to find deeper water.

Cool thing was I was casting right into the bed of some Carp and really got to "test my gear". I didn't bring my large gear and it was fun catching 5 - 7lb carp on bass tackle.

Anyone got tips for Early Spring Bass fishing? I seem to feel like I forgot how to fish, lol..
Old 04-04-11, 01:23 PM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
My lake has been down lately, and I've been fishing this little stretch of water at my lake. It can't be over 4' or 5', but the water has a good green tint to it and is a great place to fish. The temperature was about 60 or 65 and was very windy. I fished there for around 2 hours for Bass when I just gave it up and brought out the Carp rods . I tossed a Spinnerbait and Buzzbait all around looking for active fish but nada, didn't get any strikes. I then slowed down and fished a 7.5" T-rigged worm but still, no strikes. Are the Bass not up shallow yet? I may need to find deeper water.

Cool thing was I was casting right into the bed of some Carp and really got to "test my gear". I didn't bring my large gear and it was fun catching 5 - 7lb carp on bass tackle.

Anyone got tips for Early Spring Bass fishing? I seem to feel like I forgot how to fish, lol..
I suspect your water temp is still in the low 50s, I would suggest a neutral colored (chartreuse shad, or black back pearl sides) suspending jerkbait, fished with slow pulls instead of jerks, with annoyingly long pauses between pulls. Another good bait would be the shad raps in the black back pearl sides, if the water is only 5-6' deep the #7 should still work. Again the retrieve should be painfully slow.
Old 04-04-11, 06:34 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd guess they're not up yet into shallower water, other wise I'duv thought that that spinnerbait would have worked great! Try fishing areas that are deeper, and closer to shallow water. Try tossing a SK jig out there, they got a real loud rattle and there black and blue really stands out! Pro model or a Premier Pro, with a blue Sk trailer, they hold up great and float so they hold that jig up there real good, and makes it more viable it deeper water.

gotta boat yet chuck?
Old 04-05-11, 01:02 AM   #4
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Any place that has carp usually wont have bass... Carp are a low oxygen needing fish so they can live in the muddiest stagnent water... but other species like Bass need fresh spring fed oxygen rich water... I know when you see a big lake sometimes you think how could there not be big fish in here but that's your probably your answer.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 04:20 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I suspect your water temp is still in the low 50s, I would suggest a neutral colored (chartreuse shad, or black back pearl sides) suspending jerkbait, fished with slow pulls instead of jerks, with annoyingly long pauses between pulls. Another good bait would be the shad raps in the black back pearl sides, if the water is only 5-6' deep the #7 should still work. Again the retrieve should be painfully slow.
I second this
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 05:46 PM   #6
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Was this area a typical spawning flat? Does it have cover to hold the fish? Is it close to deeper water? Is there food in the area?

I'll catch fish on crankbaits and traps in 4' of water or less in 50 degree water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.