Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-11, 04:56 PM   #22
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey Waffle That's interesting as hell! My mind is crawling with questions, but for starters have you spent much time using that rod? Is this a new concept or been around awhile? If it's been around why only 1 co. making production models? Approx. cost for a typical 6'6" or 7" mh custom rod? Why would I NOT want one?
Spiral wrapping was first used in Chicago as early as 1913 if I remember right...Used on large saltwater rods for seabass (dont quote me on the date,its been a long time since I read the article but it was early 1900's)

Its an old concept for sure...I would assume we dont see it in production rods due to demand and labor/time on guide set up..But Im sure theres other reasons also...It hard to get people to try something their not use to.

Ive used this rod for over a year now....I will not build any ''tip up'' application rods any other way for myself..They cast super smooth (with micros ime) and playing a large fish is like driving a caddy...No torque on your hand(s).....

I still prefer conventional set up on ''tip down'' applications....With tip up your line wants to rest naturally on the bottom of the guides..So spiral wrapping is great for that!....On tip down,your line rides the top,so I prefer my guides all on top..But thats my preference.

Do they cast further and add more sensistivity?.....I cant tell a difference.
The only and main purpose is to eliminate rod twist.

(edit)
correction on the spiral wrap origin/date

Posted by rod maker Ralph O'Quinn

''John S. Scanlan of Chicago patented the spiral wrap in 1909. It is the only patent of record. Joy Dunlap, a rod builder of quite some reknown, learned the technique from Chuck Roberts. In deference to Chuck, Joy always marked his rods which used that wrap as "Roberts Wrap by Joy Dunlap". This most probably is where the name "Roberts Wrap" was initiated. Rightfully, the name should be "Scanlan Wrap".
I first reported this in an article in Rodmaker magazine. Volume 3 number 5.

Ralph''

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-19-11 at 05:35 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.