Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-23-13, 11:43 AM   #1
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default spinnerbaits/lipless cranks

I fish a pretty good smallmouth lake who's perimeter is completely developed. No wood cover other than some 4"X4" wood dock posts. Rocky points and reefs, weed covered boulder flats and one stretch of shoreline has a large reed bed with boulders mixed in. No shad but lots of other swimming forage.

The scenario I want to submit is: you have only one rod worthy of throwing spinnerbaits and lipless cranks. Which of these baits do you have tied on beginning each foray and what situation(s) convince you to switch baits during the outing?

I will fish the lipless crank throughout the entire season changing to a spinnerbait... when fishing the reed bed area; when fishing after dark; when I want a bait to cover the lake bottom in depths 12' or greater; or when throwing onto a very windy shoreline. Would you differ?

The "rest of the story" is I don't throw either of these baits nearly as much as plastics, hard jerkbaits and hard plastic top-water baits.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 03:28 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Probably neither, but that does not answer your question. For smallies I'd choose a chatterbait for a search bait, over either as a compromise over the baits you mentioned, in white/chartreuse or all chartreuse. Shallow or deep around any cover, same rod as you indicate.

If I was limited to the two you asked about, then the spinnerbait, in a 1/4 or 3/8 oz, same color as chatterbait (no better color for smallies than something with chartreuse). As for changing up, if they ignore the spinnerbait, I would try a lipless in a 1/4 to 3/8 oz and give that a rip. Cloudy day one with some chrome, bright day more subdued with white.

If you find rising smallies away from shore, then break out your topwater!!!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 04:36 PM   #3
pig n jig

I hate spinnerbaits because they get bent to crap and they fish the same as a trap but if I were to fish specifically for smallies,I would use a white painted blade over a chartreuse painted blade for the majority of my smallmouth fishing except when burning a spinnerbaits over grass, they like the chartreuse blade better burned over the grass for whatever reason. One trap I would recommend is a Sebile trap.They are pricey but they fish better than most with a big wide wobble and they are silent and you can fish them sloth slow or fast. Never underestimate a bubble gum super fluke for those same type of water, smallmouths love them.The downfall is they fish slowly if your powerfishing.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 05:48 PM   #4
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
One trap I would recommend is a Sebile trap.They are pricey but they fish better than most with a big wide wobble and they are silent and you can fish them sloth slow or fast.
Is it the oil filled bait you are referring to? (Sebile has more than one trap-type baits)

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 06:32 PM   #5
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Is it the oil filled bait you are referring to? (Sebile has more than one trap-type baits)

oe
Yeah, the flat shad. They make it in a snagless or double trebled.I'm sorry ,I didn't realize they made others.
Old 12-01-13, 04:35 PM   #6
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
I fish a pretty good smallmouth lake who's perimeter is completely developed. No wood cover other than some 4"X4" wood dock posts. Rocky points and reefs, weed covered boulder flats and one stretch of shoreline has a large reed bed with boulders mixed in. No shad but lots of other swimming forage.

The scenario I want to submit is: you have only one rod worthy of throwing spinnerbaits and lipless cranks. Which of these baits do you have tied on beginning each foray and what situation(s) convince you to switch baits during the outing?

I will fish the lipless crank throughout the entire season changing to a spinnerbait... when fishing the reed bed area; when fishing after dark; when I want a bait to cover the lake bottom in depths 12' or greater; or when throwing onto a very windy shoreline. Would you differ?

The "rest of the story" is I don't throw either of these baits nearly as much as plastics, hard jerkbaits and hard plastic top-water baits.

oe
I guess it's a preference thing since they fish the same water column.Maybe you need to add a jig with the soft plastics ?I would use a football head and spider grub for boulder flats on a medium crankbait rod. cast and crawl the jig until you snag the football jig on a rock and apply pressure to load the rodtip until the football head pops free. I try to drop the rodtip once it pops free so the spider grub doesn't scoot far before it settles back to the bottom so you can drag to snag it again to repeat the sequence.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.