Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-03, 07:24 PM   #1

Default how can you catch bass on spinnerbaits??

i have fished spinnerbaits and find they don't work for me!. im a slow worm fisher and so i went with slow rolling my terminator spinnerbait. ive caught a few but then switched to a worm and it worked better! i keep trying to use it because its a good locater bait but not for me. its white tandem blade. pretty small
Old 05-05-03, 08:06 PM   #2
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassGizmo
Default Re: how can you catch bass on spinnerbaits??

most of the fish like big spinnerbait i noticed. Just like any other lure there is a time and place it works best. just keep the spinnerbait nearby because it will catch more fish then most lures.
BassGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-03, 07:32 AM   #3

I am fishing Florida waters also. I was using a white spinner bait with no success for a long time. I took the advice of an old fisherman in my area and bought a chartrusse, single blade from Wal-Mart, $l.00, they usually have a box full on bottom rack in fishing dept., The first time I used it I limited out in 20 minutes casting over hydrilla, next to the weedline. It has produced fish on every fishing trip since, including an 8lb. last weekend. Try it you will like it. The other thing I have noticed is the fish are all bigger.
Old 05-06-03, 07:14 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I wrote a big post on those wal-mart spinnerbaits a few months ago, those things are really a very good value.

Sometimes a worm will outfish a spinnerbait, in florida especially I've caught plenty of fish on spinnerbaits, but I always seem to do a little better with worms. My advice to you would be to keep trying the spinnerbait a little every day, but if the worm is outfishing it use that. Sooner or later however you will find a day where for some reason the spinnerbait worked better, and all around you will be a btter fisherman for being accustomed to using both depedning on the situation.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 05:14 PM   #5
SpinnerBaitPro
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to SpinnerBaitPro

Those Walmart spinnerbaits at a good price and work well also! Just as good as some the Hi Dollar lures!

See spinnerbaits/in-line spinners thread some ideas for spinnerbaits.

Maynot so much be the color as the retrieval presentation?

Tit-lines
SpinnerBaitPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 07:54 PM   #6
art_decker
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to art_decker

Are you guys talking about the wal-mart spinnerbaits sold under the name 'Classic'? (or 'The Classic') Â*The wal-marts in Canada carry these, as well as rattlesnake spinnerbaits for about a dollar more.

Thanks
art_decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-03, 06:33 PM   #7
SxCxOxTxT
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to SxCxOxTxT

Florida Fisherman,
you've got the right idea about using a terminator spinnerbait. The only problem is you've got to try different colors, shapes, and sizes. If you fish deep(10ft+) water than try using the Willow/Colorado Tandem. If your fishing in shallow water(0-10ft) than try the Double Willow Tandem. Keep trying different skirt colors to you find the right one. If they still aren't biting then get some YUM baitscent and spray it on your spinnerbait. If the bass still will not bite than keep in mine bass generally do not strike spinnerbaits unless they are biting mildly active. If the bass your fishing for are not very active than don't fish with spinnerbaits, fish with other bass lures and jigs. If the fish in your lake still aren't biting than there probally isn't any fish in there and you'll haft to fish somewhere-else.
Try a bigger spinnerbait, it just might be the solution for the bass you fish for.
Also try this:
Cast your line out in medium depths of water and let it sink to the bottom. Then start to slowly reel it in until it's about haft way up then let it sink again, then start to reel in back to your boat. Try this several times, it resembles a dying baitfish. It works for me. You should try it.

-StetsBass

SxCxOxTxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 12:46 PM   #8

im only 14 and I have been trying very hard with spiner bait in florida on yellow river.It works petty good.I use a white and orange color or a very bright red with sparkals on it.some times a midium sized crank bait will work.even a aligator likes the beause on ate mine the other day when i was fishing near a log.god luck to yall.
Old 05-12-03, 07:37 PM   #9
siklsd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to siklsd

I live in san diego, CA and pretty all the lakes here are mostly deep. Spinnerbaits in super clear water are sometimes very hard if you aren't fishing them right. I have read and heard that there is no wrong way to fish a spinnerbait and I agree with that but in clear water, sometimes to fish them effectively you have to make some modifications in your retrieve and where you fish them.
When I see that the majority of the fish are suspended at 15-30 feet when it is 40-50 feet deep for example, I usually throw spinnerbaits and senko's. for the spinnerbait, I cast it out and let it sink at a count. First I try 5 seconds. Then I try 10 seconds and so on until I find an effective depth. Keep in mind to keep a feel on your line for any taps or abnormal feelings because sometimes they hit it on the drop. Also in super-clear water, burn the bait as fast as it will go.

If you are fishing shallow or semi-shallow water with a grassy bottom, throw it out and try counting to 2, then 3 and so on until you feel the spinner bait ticking the grass when you are making the retrieve. That is much more effective than just casting it and reeling it in.

Good luck.
siklsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 04:10 PM   #10
bassdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassdog

Just fish the spinner in different locations
bassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 04:49 PM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Hey cman,
I think the person has probably figured out what he was doin wrong by now, and he probably doesn't come to the site. Dang, this is an old post.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 05:34 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ive never used spinnerbaits and was wondering if a buzz king was a spinnerbait. thanks for the help
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 07:20 PM   #13
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

BASSFISHER,

I am not familiar with a "Buzz King" bait, but from the name it sounds to me like a buzzbait. Spinnerbaits and buzz baits are similar, but not the same thing.
If your Buzz King has a two or three bladed prop type blade that runs inline on a shaft, it is a buzz bait. If it has a swivel attached to the top wire and a spoon shaped blade attached to th swivel it is a spinnerbait.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 07:28 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ok sounds like i have a buzz bait. next ? i have is every time i start to retrieve the buzz bait a fish will jump and try to hit it but wont get hooked and im not retrieving it to fast i dont think because earlier i was fishing and i had one hooked but he jumped and got off good sized bass 2 thanks for the help.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 10:18 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1052173469;start=0#13 date=08/17/04 at 18:28:47]ok sounds like i have a buzz bait. next ? i have is every time i start to retrieve the buzz bait a fish will jump and try to hit it but wont get hooked and im not retrieving it to fast i dont think because earlier i was fishing and i had one hooked but he jumped and got off good sized bass 2 thanks for the help.[/quote]

Add a trailer hook to it.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 12:57 AM   #16
bassguy2004

Sharpen the hook also, by the way you can't out reel a bass. If it wants your bait, it will have your bait. Case closed.
Old 08-19-04, 02:51 AM   #17
shad
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to shad

yea this post is really old it started when i got out of 8th grade now im going into ninthgrade this monday.lol
shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:23 PM   #18
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Florida fishing,

I catch most of my bass on spinnerbaits. I always try different lures and in the end i always go back to the spinnerbait. (I always start on a spinnerbait also).
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 07:34 AM   #19
szimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to szimmerman

[quote author=StetsBass link=board=news;num=1052173469;start=0#6 date=05/09/03 at 17:33:45]Florida Fisherman,
you've got the right idea about using a terminator spinnerbait. The only problem is you've got to try different colors, shapes, and sizes. If you fish deep(10ft+) water than try using the Willow/Colorado Tandem. If your fishing in shallow water(0-10ft) than try the Double Willow Tandem. Keep trying different skirt colors to you find the right one. If they still aren't biting then get some YUM baitscent and spray it on your spinnerbait. If the bass still will not bite than keep in mine bass generally do not strike spinnerbaits unless they are biting mildly active. If the bass your fishing for are not very active than don't fish with spinnerbaits, fish with other bass lures and jigs. If the fish in your lake still aren't biting than there probally isn't any fish in there and you'll haft to fish somewhere-else.
Try a bigger spinnerbait, it just might be the solution for the bass you fish for.
Also try this:
Cast your line out in medium depths of water and let it sink to the bottom. Then start to slowly reel it in until it's about haft way up then let it sink again, then start to reel in back to your boat. Try this several times, it resembles a dying baitfish. It works for me. You should try it.

-StetsBass

[/quote]

Hey guy's,
this is me over a year and a half ago, I have forgotten the password to this screen name and made a new one (StetsD). But, back in this time I was really into those terminator spinnerbaits, and I liked to look up tips on the internet about them ;D 8) ;D ;D 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
-StetsD
szimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 09:13 AM   #20
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Those spinnerbaits will literally be shining in the fall!

In September when the water goes back down to the 60's, and it starts getting a bit breezy, throw one up right against the windblown bank (obviusly where the weeds aren't too heavy) and they'll hit them!

When a fish misses a spinnerbait, I use my other rod to chuck a slug-go. I heard the fish sometimes thinks it hurt a fish on the attack, and the slug-go imitates the wounded fish the bass just attacked. 8)
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 09:56 AM   #21
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1052173469;start=0#13 date=08/17/04 at 18:28:47]ok sounds like i have a buzz bait. next ? i have is every time i start to retrieve the buzz bait a fish will jump and try to hit it but wont get hooked and im not retrieving it to fast i dont think because earlier i was fishing Â*and i had one hooked but he jumped and got off good sized bass 2 thanks for the help.[/quote]

if they are short striking, here is a little trick that works for me.Sometime they want the buzzbait, but the one you are using is not quite the ticket.
Try changing colors, sizes and blade colors.
Don't laugh, it works. I have been out numerous times, and the fish would knock the bait out of the water without eating it. And i use a trailer hook. I will then change sizes, lure colors, blade clors, or all of the above till i find the right combo. Sooner or later you will dial into what the fish want.

Also, the spinnerbait is THE worlds most versatile lure. It can be fished to wake the surfface all the way to the bottom. And there is no wrong way to fish it. You just have to figure out what the fish want on a given day.

As i tell people, any retrieve that will work with another lure, will work with a spinnerbait.

Color, size, blade size, wire diameter, and blade style all come into play for the proper bait selection.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.