Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Poll: Senko vs Dingers
Poll Options
Senko vs Dingers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-12, 11:48 PM   #1
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Yamamoto Senko vs Yum Dinger

Had an interesting outing that I just got back from. I have been a die hard Senko user. I think they are the best and durability is an issue but if it catches bass I guess the cost is justified. I fished with a buddy and he had Yum Dinger's on his boat and I used up the last two Yamos I had with me. I used his Yum's and I kind of liked what I seen and the results, the difference I have confidence in the Yamo's

A few questions for you, what is your color choice and if you could only have two packs of each, what would you go with?

(I know this is regioin based but I have my own reasons to see what you guys are using.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 08:09 AM   #2
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the store and love for people to buy both "as well as other type of stick baits" but personally i use nothing but the 5"Green Pumpkin senko lol. If I ever do use another color it's Rainbow Trout for when I go to Chilhowee Lake. I actually think those are the only to I own haha. Have a good one.

Matt
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 08:27 AM   #3
USMCbassman

5" watermelon with black flake senko for me....the best producer I own and have caught my PB on it as well.

Never used Yum Dingers so I can't give honest or any feedback on them...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 08:45 AM   #4
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used both and honestly can't say I see the difference in catches between them, although many will disagree with me on that. I use either watermelon candy or watermelon/red flake.
Old 08-18-12, 09:45 AM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

watermelpm for around guntersville. neither works too good on weiss. i REALLY don't use them all that much on either lake, but this is my choice mainly for g'ville.
Old 08-18-12, 10:05 AM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like both and their actions are fairly close, but this is my experience with them: dingers = 0 catches => senkos win
Price/Durability of senkos = me no likey => dingers win

At this time I only have one color of dingers and plan to try other color patterns.
Old 08-18-12, 07:46 PM   #7
Marty

Over the years I've read about countless colors producing well. Some years back a Yamamoto staffer posted on their site that there are really just three colors, dark, light and in-between. Most of the time I've carried black and pumpkinseed, but that was an arbitrary decision and I've have no loss of confidence if those two colors were discontinued and I switched colors.

I've used Yum Dingers too and have the same confidence in them as Senkos.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 10:31 PM   #8
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the BPS brand. Any color works for me as long as it's green pumpkin or red shad.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 02:06 AM   #9
Tavery5

Senko, the rest are just imitations in my mind, I use color 912 green pumpkin/watermelon laminate.
Old 08-19-12, 06:49 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have used both. My main colors have been watermelon seed, green pumpkin and black/blue. I don't know if it is confidence or just better for the fish around my place, but the edge goes to GY for me.
Old 08-19-12, 10:02 AM   #11
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I use both. I almost always start with yama and if they are really on the senko sometimes I'll switch to Yum to see if they will hit it just as well. Sometimes they don't seem to care, so I'll fish with the Yum to save some money, but if they seem finicky I'll stick with the Yama. If I ever find any sales on the Yamas I load up.

I just ordered some Gambler Ace stick baits, another senko knockoff, they have a sale going, enter in "5k" in the promo code and get 50% off, $4.99 shipping, so not a bad deal. I'm not related to this company, just passing it on.

http://www.gambler-lures.com/default.asp
Old 08-19-12, 08:54 PM   #12
Bill M

Here in NJ I have used just about every stick bait alive to try and save a few $$$$, ya know what I did, went back to Senkos and gave away every knock-off I purchased for free, the more pressure a waterway gets the more the senko shines, leave in NJ and lets say hit Lake Champlain where the bass are dumb, throw any stick bait you want and they will hit it, thats what I have had beaten into me and my pocket, so its senkos for me only. Color choices are basic like everyone else but one, Electric Snot Green senkos, ugly color that for some stupid reason just works.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 08:54 PM   #13
Vegasspider

Default Makes the most sense

This makes the most sense to me, if they will hit either just through the Yums at em. I think I found a source to buy the Yums in bulk at a good price if it turns out to be legit I will post the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
I use both. I almost always start with yama and if they are really on the senko sometimes I'll switch to Yum to see if they will hit it just as well. Sometimes they don't seem to care, so I'll fish with the Yum to save some money, but if they seem finicky I'll stick with the Yama. If I ever find any sales on the Yamas I load up.

I just ordered some Gambler Ace stick baits, another senko knockoff, they have a sale going, enter in "5k" in the promo code and get 50% off, $4.99 shipping, so not a bad deal. I'm not related to this company, just passing it on.

http://www.gambler-lures.com/default.asp
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 09:26 PM   #14
merc1997

i have used a lot of different brands of "senko" style baits. i can not see that one over the other is a better fish catcher. i find it is more important to be putting it in front af a fish to begin with, just as it is with any other lure.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 04:36 PM   #15
DaveW731

Default I think there are some differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
i have used a lot of different brands of "senko" style baits. i can not see that one over the other is a better fish catcher. i find it is more important to be putting it in front af a fish to begin with, just as it is with any other lure.

bo
If I had to choose one or the other, I would get Yum Dingers. 75% of the time I am fishing either in a slow moving river, or in less than 6fow, so I prefer the slower fall of the Yum, as well as the greater durability. With that said, if I wacky rig, NOTHING beats a Senko, IMO.
I like the same basic colors ( green pumpkin, with either black or red flake), but my go to bait is a Yum in brown pumpkin with a chartreuse tail. Third choice is a green/white laminate.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 12:32 PM   #16
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

In my experience, Strike King Ochos out-perform Senkos. Great action, great fall, great price. They do suffer the same durability properties that Senkos do.

My #2 would be Bass Pro Stik-O worms. GREAT durability, GREAT colors, very good value!

My favorite color of all 3 is the 'Baby Bass' color (green top, white bottom). Senkos; it's 'watermelon/white-pearl laminate'. The actual 'baby bass' color for the Senkos is more of a light watermelon with silvery/goldy fleck in it. It's a really good color too.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 06:11 PM   #17
RAYMAN111
BassFishin.Com Member

Senkos. Bottom line......it is the best stick bait in plastic on themarket. Like some of the guys said......why fish something that another knocked off? The plastic and the salt content is what Yamamoto has down to a science. The colors are uniform with all being the same. I have Rep'd the YUM brand and sold the Yamamoto. YUM sells in chain stores and is priced all over the place. I have seen them out here for three bags for $5.00. Yamamoto holds its price and integrity in the line. Colors....I would think that Green Pumpkin is universal. Watermelon Red is another colors that I have fished all over the Nation. One of the best out here are the Cinnamon colors. Color clarity and time of year all play a part. Another note.....I really lover the 9X series. Big Bait that catches more fish for me than the 5" series, 9-10 series. Good luck
RAYMAN111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 06:58 AM   #18
Dogmatic

Other, SK shim e stick, red shad, bb, smokey shad, gp/chart.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 04:32 PM   #19
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

In a perfect world where I would have unlimited funds... I'd take the senko.

But it isn't that way is it!

I love dingers, they've out fished every other budget senko I've ever used.. top notch bait!
Old 08-25-12, 08:19 AM   #20
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

I've heard many break down price as the reason. Here's a good way to look at price. This is using my in store prices and not sales from big box stores.
GY- 6.99 10 in a pack= .69 per bait
Lake Fork Hyper Stick- 5.29 7 in a pack= .75 per bait
Yum Dinger- 4.99 12 in a pack= .42
El Grande Hatch Match- 4.29 7 in a pack= .61
Strike King Zero- 3.99 6 in a pack= .66
Just a different breakdown. Does show that the Dinger is the most cost effective but also shows that the Senko isn't outrageous per bait.
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 05:16 PM   #21
woody

Give me the original senkos(watermelon/red flake).

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 06:15 PM   #22
bassboogieman

Quote:
Give me the original senkos
Well, heck yeah, if someone is going to GIVE them to ya! Ok, I like the original Senko and I love the breakdown Matt3 gave, but in all honesty I have to trash his theory that the Senko price isn't (if not outrageous) steep when compared to others based on a catch per bait comparison. Again, my preference IS for the ORIGINAL Senko when it comes to stick baits, but in my experience it is pretty much a one fish bait - especially if you wacky rig the bait. Sure it can be repaired, but who wants to take that time when fishing? I have been known to just toss a torn bait in the boat and gather them up at home and take a few minutes with a wood burning tools and repair a bunch at a time.

So if you don't repair a Senko, or as more often happens it flies off the hook while fighting a fish, and you only catch one fish per bait you can go through a bag or two in a single day's outing. I posted a while ago, about a stick bait I used for three trips (YES ONE SINGLE BAIT) and I caught over a dozen fish on it. That bait was not my first choice, but after catching 3 bass on my last 3 Senkos (particular color that was working) I put on the other bait (same color) and continued catching fish on it for three trips, never taking it off the hook. Oh, I hesitate to mention that particular bait didn't cost me a penny - YES Woody it WAS GIVEN to me, HA!

Based upon my experience the Senko IS an expensive bait, IF you figure that a bag of Senkos (10) will most likely catch me little more than 12 bass (yep, on the rare occasion I can catch more than one fish on a Senko). On the other hand a bag of YUM Dingers (example, I am not pushing the brand) would catch me 3 dozen (or likely more) bass and last several trips. Using this comparison the Senko is MUCH more expensive to use than many comparable brands. But, all that said they are still my "go to" stick bait over any other brand. I think Mr Yamamoto was brilliant in making the Senko so soft that it's basically a one fish bait - keeps the sales volume up.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 08-25-12 at 07:48 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 06:47 PM   #23
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Give me the original senkos(watermelon/red flake).

-Mark
Bruce, it was just " a matter of speach," I have plenty of money...

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 07:47 PM   #24
bassboogieman

Sorry Woody, it's just the season - I'm into the spin, the politicians are setting such exciting examples of taking anything said, spinning it around, playing the angles and spitting out something completely different after processing.

Quote:
I have plenty of money...
Well, I have some lake front property in Louisiana if you're looking to invest some....
Or was is Florida?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 08:59 PM   #25
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Well, heck yeah, if someone is going to GIVE them to ya! Ok, I like the original Senko and I love the breakdown Matt3 gave, but in all honesty I have to trash his theory that the Senko price isn't (if not outrageous) steep when compared to others based on a catch per bait comparison. Again, my preference IS for the ORIGINAL Senko when it comes to stick baits, but in my experience it is pretty much a one fish bait - especially if you wacky rig the bait. Sure it can be repaired, but who wants to take that time when fishing? I have been known to just toss a torn bait in the boat and gather them up at home and take a few minutes with a wood burning tools and repair a bunch at a time.

So if you don't repair a Senko, or as more often happens it flies off the hook while fighting a fish, and you only catch one fish per bait you can go through a bag or two in a single day's outing. I posted a while ago, about a stick bait I used for three trips (YES ONE SINGLE BAIT) and I caught over a dozen fish on it. That bait was not my first choice, but after catching 3 bass on my last 3 Senkos (particular color that was working) I put on the other bait (same color) and continued catching fish on it for three trips, never taking it off the hook. Oh, I hesitate to mention that particular bait didn't cost me a penny - YES Woody it WAS GIVEN to me, HA!

Based upon my experience the Senko IS an expensive bait, IF you figure that a bag of Senkos (10) will most likely catch me little more than 12 bass (yep, on the rare occasion I can catch more than one fish on a Senko). On the other hand a bag of YUM Dingers (example, I am not pushing the brand) would catch me 3 dozen (or likely more) bass and last several trips. Using this comparison the Senko is MUCH more expensive to use than many comparable brands. But, all that said they are still my "go to" stick bait over any other brand. I think Mr Yamamoto was brilliant in making the Senko so soft that it's basically a one fish bait - keeps the sales volume up.
I saw these on TW the other day, it looks like it might be a good solution for your problem. You could still hook the bait like normal but maybe get a little more life out of it.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Wacky...ge-WACORG.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.