Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-07-10, 06:34 AM   #1
rescu.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Calling 1fastboat.(prop ?0

Hello folks, I am new here but have been lurking for a while now. I have a question about my new to me boat. I have own a few boats over the years nothing fancy mind you. I have been fishing out of boats since I was a kid. But now I have what I call my nice boat. Its a 2002 alumncraft navigator 16.5 with a Yamaha f60a 4 stroke with what I am guessing is the factory prop. My question or questions are about the proper Prop. I have beed reading all about it here and it sounds like this is the place to get started in the right direction.

The details, Max rpm 5000( specs say 5000-6000 in the book).
Top speed 30.5 on gauge I will ckeck with Gps next time out.
I also think the motor is to deep, I measure it and I came up with 8 inches
The motor is mounted in the second hole form the top and there are four total.

So I am guessing I need to raise the motor but what do I need to do from there.

thanks
Clint
rescu.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 06:46 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if it is orginal it'll be a stock white tin prop..what is your rpms at wot?? 8" dam that is way deep..move the moter up to the bottom hole. the top has holes the botton bolts are in slots. using a engine hoist take the weight off FIRST then loosen the bolts.. on anf60 a 14p prop sounds about right though you may have to change to a 13p. if the 14p wades coming out of the hole..try both if possable..

that 60 on a small tin can should run out i n the mid to upper 30's gps...

zooker
Old 06-08-10, 10:07 PM   #3
rescu.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker, thanks for the reply. The rpms are right at 5000 not a stich above. Yes the prop is white I cant find any numbers or anything on it yet. This thing is a dog out of the hole and I dont have that much in it and the fuel tank was only half full, but now that I think of it the live well was full. I was given another prop along with the one on lthe motor and he said the spare was a speed prop. I am going to look and see if I can see and numbers.

I was thinking or at least hoping it would run a little better than 30mph. I should mention that the motor runs great and I dont think that there is a whole lot of hours on it.
Old 06-08-10, 10:14 PM   #4
rescu.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok I found the numbers on the spare prop. it reads 10x15 G. In his hand writing he wrote more speed less power. I dont know which is which I am trying to learn. I am up for suggestion.

Clint
Old 06-09-10, 06:09 AM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

More speed less power better top end worse low end,a ss prop with more cup would get up and running better but Ive heard 4 strokes just dont get up that quick.
While they are the green thing in larger hp weigh so much not popular,now losing weight so it wont be much of an issue much longer.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 10:37 AM   #6
zooker

mule is right..the prop you have is a 15p bet it's a 10 3/8" stock tin prop for yammer-the g is a dead give away- i would try a 13p first and work from there. the yamaha four jokers are a hole shot wallowing pig..i would still move the moter up.

mine is at 3.75" below pad on my stratos. if ya find a 13p to try don't worry much about over reving it. my ss prop with ALOT of work done, spins at 5900 rpm. i have done alot of messing around with mine and hit the rev limiter twice at 6150rpm..i have a 2 stroke 50 or so it says and run around 41 gps..btw ss props row about 3-5 mph faster than tin,on these lil boats.. i'd go ss for sure...

zooker
Old 06-10-10, 12:32 AM   #7
rescu.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ran the boat again today new numbers

Ok I ran the boat today and got a better idea on the numbers.

On the first prop, the one that was on the boat. The prop is a 10 3/8x13. This prop ran the boat up to 32 mph on the gps at 5800.

The other prop that he had written on it More speed less power was a 10x 15. Now this prop ran up to 31 mph on the gps at 5200 rpm.

These runs were with full live well fishing gear and me @ 330lbs. I made a few runs with each prop. During the runs I noticed alot of spray being kicked up. So I looked really quick and noticed that I could not see the Cavitation plate but I could see the plate that is above the cav plate. It looks like the "stuff" above the top plate is in the water and kicking up the spray. Not sure what the stuff is but it is on the leading edge of the lower unit.

So a couple of questions. I think I should see the cav plate at speed correct? This I believe should be fixed when I get the motor raised.

Next question. I am not sure which is which but from what he had written on the prop its wrong? Am I correct in the results I got?
Just from my seat of the pants feeling. The 15P gave the better hole shot and it only ran 1MPH less. But yet it ran 400rpm slower. Yes I have heard that each Pitch can you get 200 rpm difference.

Oh yea I thought of another question. The diameters of the two props are different. Does this make a big difference and if so what?

So what are your opinions and suggestions. I guess what my reasoning for the questions are I would like to get the most, and the longest life out of the motor, so when I go to buy a SS prop I buy the right one the first time.
Old 06-10-10, 12:26 PM   #8
zooker

diamaters of the prop do not make much differance.
i would look into a 14p in stainless..

i am not a fan of tin props..

zooker
Old 06-10-10, 06:29 PM   #9
rescu.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Zooker, I raised the motor today and the most I could move it was about two inches. Which puts it at about 6 1/4 inches down, but I am not going to drill anymore holes so where its at is going to have be good enough.

I did look at the cav plate and it lines up a whole lot better. Looks like its just below the pad now.

I am going to make some more runs again and see what I get before I buy the SS. When I get those numbers I will post them for all to see and make any suggestions or changes of suggestions.

Oh yea I was talking with a buddy and he said when I go to the SS it will lose RPM, and I mentioned that I read on here somewhere that I would gain MPH with the SS. Are any of these statements true, or I guess what does happen with Tin to SS?

Thanks
Clint
Old 06-10-10, 08:31 PM   #10
zooker

tin bends under torque ss don't...ss will bring the rpm down a hair but add more speed..

zooker
Old 06-10-10, 11:04 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

I've been really curious about this....
Coming in outta left field in this (and other threads) about shooting to raise the motor so that trimmed down, the center of the prop is 3" below the pad (give or take)... Doesn't this mean that you end up trimming up less, so a 1-2" motor raise doesn't really make much difference???
I mean, right now, lets say my prop center is 4" below the pad and I trim up X amount on plane for the sweet spot (just before it cavitates). Now I raise the motor up one hole (1" approx), but now I will likely trim up Y amount (less than X amount). Have I really gained anything?
Old 06-11-10, 11:52 AM   #12
zooker

less moter in the water causes less drag. the faster you go..

zooker
Old 06-11-10, 12:43 PM   #13
lilmule

Less trim usually yes,a lot depends upon the boat design,and ss props are almost always faster than the alum ones and more durable,and with less slip I might add.
Making even better gas mileage as a result.Not all but most ss would have more cup,getting a better grip on the water,with considerably less bend in the prop when working.The alum is made to be lost when you bump anything thereby saving the lower unit,only works when say a couple of miles per hr,hitting a log at 30 it wont help one bit.
And nowdays one vou can buy a ss one with a hub that does the same thing(thus spinning a hub was born),hub replacement is 25 to 40 bucks depending upon brand.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 01:01 PM   #14
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
less moter in the water causes less drag. the faster you go..

zooker
I guess what I meant zook was up 1" and less trim up, is about equal to 1" down w/ more trim up - ? only difference would seem to be when shes trimmed down all the way you'd have 1" less motor in the drink.

Btw, youz guys are talking 'bout bending props when I think you really mean less permanent flexing - yes?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.