Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-09-04, 05:41 PM   #1
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.
Default I have flukes but dont know how to use them!

I have them in my soft plastic arsonal but have never used them they sit there next to the lizzards(I use them) anyway who, what, where, and how. Is it like a T-rig? I really need to work on my finesse fishing!!! All advice and any pics or links would help! ty
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 05:45 PM   #2
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randycanfish
Default Re: I have flukes but dont know how to use them!

DITTO
randycanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 07:16 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=pretjah link=board=news;num=1102624879;start=0#1 date=12/09/04 at 15:45:16]DITTO[/quote]

YES

I personally t-rig mine weightless, however I do rig it reverse of most folks, with the hook point on the belly of the Fluke. I prefer Shad color myself, but have caught em on all colors. I prefer to use a twitch twitch pause, and the pause is based on how the fish want it. You can also drop shot them pretty well. If the fish are hitting well, a quick series of twitches to keep it at the top of the water works great, just hold on ;D Almost like a fast walk the dog. In winter time I will dead stick them. They are very versatile and one of my go to baits

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 07:17 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I use flukes almost anywhere, they're pretty much my confidence lure. You'd normally want to rig it like a texas rig, usually weightless, but there is almost no wrong way to fish them. If there are lily pads with pockets of open water between them, I like to pull it over the top of the lily pad and let it sink slowly until it hits the bottom. I'll just do this several times in a cast in different holes. I don't think there is any place you can fish them where they don't work really well. YOu can fish them weightless and skip them underneath docks, the fish love them because of the slow fall to the bottom. I've caught fish around shallow grass, docks, dropoffs, brush piles, almost anywhere. You can catch fish on them with most any rig and in most condition. You can deadstick them, fish them just off the bottome, fish them in the middle of the water, or walk the dog on the surface. Just try a couple different things and I'm sure you'll find something that works.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 07:36 PM   #5
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1

You can swim them, jig them, dead stick them.....number of things can be done with a fluke. I always fish mine Texas style. Here is a fluke bass, 3lb 6oz, from my part of the country that is a respectable fish......
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 09:09 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

These guys covered it well. I rig them like a T-rig with no weight and work them with gentle twitches of the rod tip. I've also used then on a Carolina rig. Like Hula said, there really isn't a wrong way to fish them.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 10:44 PM   #7
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fatdaddy151

What kind of gear do you guys use to fish them with then? Baitcasting or spinning? Light line or heavy line? What action of rod? That was a timely question for me also!
Fatdaddy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 11:05 PM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=ebook link=board=news;num=1102624879;start=0#6 date=12/09/04 at 20:44:42]What kind of gear do you guys use to fish them with then? Â*Baitcasting or spinning? Â*Light line or heavy line? Â*What action of rod? Â*That was a timely question for me also![/quote]

ALl of the above, just matters how I'm using them.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 11:31 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish them on a 6' H action rod and use 12 lb green Trilene XL most of the time, but if I am fishing them in real heavy cover I'll go to 50 lb Powerpro braid. I do occasionally fish them on spinning gear, and when I do it is with a 6' MH rod with 8 lb green Trilene XL.
Old 12-10-04, 07:52 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=ebook link=board=news;num=1102624879;start=0#6 date=12/09/04 at 20:44:42]What kind of gear do you guys use to fish them with then? Baitcasting or spinning? Light line or heavy line? What action of rod? That was a timely question for me also![/quote]

What ever you are using, it is however usually(I said usually) fished weightless, so not much to them. So remember that when trying to skip it , you might want to use a spinning out, but if you're good with a baitcaster, you should be fine. I would say as for line, well Rebasser made a great point again , that if fishing heavy cover, put some tough line on it. But again these can be fished anywhere. I would also like to say, to make sure you get the standard flukes, and smaller(baby flukes) Many times the size of this lure will make all the difference. I downsized many times when the bigger ones aren't working, and then started catching them(match the hatch).

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 10:35 AM   #11
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

what do you guys mean by dead sticking?
Old 12-10-04, 11:27 AM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Dead sticking is simply casting the bait out and letting it sit without any action for however long you can stand it.
Old 12-10-04, 12:54 PM   #13
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

ty rebb can always count on you!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.