Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-04, 11:40 PM   #1
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fatdaddy151
Default I need a new rod or two or three...

Alright, I'm looking to get 2 or 3 new baitcasters this winter and I'm trying to figure on a brand. I like to stick with one brand (so I can pretend that I'm a Bass Pro) just for familiarity. Right now I'm using a All Star rod and a Bass Pro Shops rod and I can really tell the difference (All Star is much better). But, I can't find any All Stars for the $50 price that I payed last year so I'm thinking of switching brands. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the higher end BPS rods (usually you can find these on sale in the off-season). I'm looking at the Exremes, Rick Clunn, Bassmaster, or Johnny Morris models...also, I may look at a Pete Mania for Canada next year. So, do you have any opinions.

On a side note, does anyone have any Zylon rods? I would be intersted in how this material is for rods. Also, if you have any used All Star rods that you would like to sell for a reasonable price let me know because I would love to stick with All Star's.
Fatdaddy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 11:48 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: I need a new rod or two or three...

I've got an extreme rod. Its very light and very durable, overall a good rod. Only problem I've got is that its not quite as sensitive as some other rods, but you get used to it after a while.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 02:58 AM   #3
bruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bruce

I own BPS Tourney Special, XPS Performance Graphite, Crankin' Stick, Extreme and Rick Clunn Series rods. Â*Out of all of them my favorite rods by far are the Rick Clunn Series. Â*They are well built and last under heavy use. Â*I own five total. Â*I have had one since the first year they introduced them and it still looks like the day I bought it. Â*I also like the feel and sensitivity of these rods over the others. Â*Also, they are rated by action and/or technique, so you can choose the right rod for what you plan on using it for. Â*My vote definately go to the Clunns. Â*They are on sale right now for $49.99 each. Â*If you decide on one you won't be disappointed. Â*I haven't been.

Scott
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:26 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I don't have any of the rods you mentioned, however I do have quite a few, St Croix, Shimano, Galyans, etc.. I really think that you should be more lure specific on your choices. What I mean by that is that I sure wouldn't use my St Croix 7' Heavy rod for cranking, and I wouldn't use my 6'6" Medium Galyan's rod for PNJ's. I am learning as I go, but I truly believe different brands work better for differnt applications. I LOVE ST Coix for plastics, but prefer my Shimano for Spinnerbaits. Yes almost every manufactuerer has different actions, and will say, hey this is a great cranking rod, but they aren't as good as another brand for c-rigging. Just my opinion, but instead of being so concerned about all of them being All Star rods, be more concerned with the rod requirements(your requirements of course, not someone elses) to the different baits you use. Now if a rod manufacturer is sponsoring you, well then USE ONLY THAT BRAND ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 02:02 PM   #5
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

I understand what you are saying lizards, and I will definetly look for rods to suite certain situations, but since I'm probably only to have four baitcasting combos they will probably have to be a little more genral and I'll use them for double duty.
Old 12-02-04, 05:31 PM   #6
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

Does anyone else want to chime in on the Bass Pro Shops brand rods? How about the Bassmaster ones or the Bionic Blade rods?
Old 12-02-04, 07:57 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ebook i can't stand any thing but a straight handle. all of those bps rods have "comfort" handles which suck. the few times i have used a binoic blade rod they seemed ok still got a weird feelin handle.
give me a fenwick any day.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 12:12 AM   #8
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

I wonder what the reviews are like on the Bassmaster models. They are a straight handle and right now they are on sale for $49.99. Also, they are made out of Zylon...anyone use Zylon rods?

Maybe, I'll just stick with looking for used All Stars. I guess I really have until late March or April before I really need them so I could just keep checking the boards. But, you know how it is...instant gratification and all.
Old 12-03-04, 09:22 AM   #9
Basshopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Basshopper

I like the Bass Pro Shops Extreme rods and since you are planning on buying a few I think if you buy two you get a third for free. Good Luck.
Basshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 10:22 AM   #10
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I've found that the BPS crankin rods are pretty good for what they cost. I've got two of these rods myself.
I don't use 'em for crankbaits, but for Rattle-trap type baits they are hard to beat. IMO

bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 07:08 PM   #11

Ive bought a couple of All Star rods this past weekend, but I noticed that there are several price ranges to choose from. What kind are you talking about? The ones I bought I paid $50. Ithink they are the Classic style.
Old 12-03-04, 07:16 PM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

ebook-where are ytou located? I have a couple of places locally that have the AllStar Classics which are my preferred rod, too, for $49 and often have them for $39.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 07:29 PM   #13

hey rebasser, what type are your rods? Mine are the Zell Rowland and the WR1....Which do you recommend? I'd like to have a rod for every type of fishing situation and try to stay with the same brand.
Old 12-03-04, 08:18 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

So do I. I use several different styles. I use a WR1 for worms and spinnerbaits, a WR2 for jigs, A CRC for Carolina, a GT2 for crankbaits, a BCM-H for soft jerkbaits an a BCM-6 for Buzzbaits and suspending jerkbaits. The only non-AllStar rods I use are a Falcon flipping rod and a pistol grip Lightnin' Rod for topwaters.
Old 12-03-04, 08:34 PM   #15
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow Rebbasser! $39.99 or $49.99 for the Classics? That is a good deal. Last year you are the one that turned me on to All Star Rods when they had the Classics on sale at BPS, but I would love to get one for $39.99! Alas, I live quite a bit North of you in Iowa where nobody carries them or has even heard of them...especially at that price. I don't suppose that place near you does mail order or anything?
Old 12-03-04, 08:48 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Just checked and they don't. I'll keep an eye on their sales and next time they go on sale for $39 I'll send you an email and see if we can't work something out-tell me what you want and I'll get it and ship it to you.
Old 12-03-04, 09:07 PM   #17
Fatdaddy151
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm basically looking at getting a WR1 right now to use with spinners etc... I have a 7' MBR medium action now. Â*If I get another reel for Christmas I probably will need another one.
Old 12-03-04, 09:24 PM   #18
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

WR1 is great for spinnerbaits. I also use it for swimbaits like Storm's wildeye shads.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.