Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-14-06, 05:46 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default How Do You Rate?

On a list of 1 to 10, of bass fishing experience,
what number best describes your bass fishing experience
.....explain why you picked that number and what can you share ...

1- Just starting bassfishing
2- Been bass fishing a few years at a pond
3- Been bassfishing for several years, and have fished one tournament
4- Own over 7 rods, and have 5 years experience
5- Active in a bass club, and have 8 years of fishing under my belt
6- Have 10 years of bass fishing, and have won a tournament before
7- Fish about 5 times a week, obsessed with fishing, still want to learn
8- Have mastered all techniques of bass fishing, have several fish caught that weigh over 8 lbs
9- Feel confident that you can win or place in any local tourney, and have done so in the past
10- Gave up your day job and now on a pro tournament trail and sponsored
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 07:05 PM   #2
zooker

umm 8 but i am no master of anything except my dog..

zooker
Old 05-14-06, 07:15 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1/2 Started fishing over the summer at a pond and now a canal. No lakes yet
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 07:16 PM   #4
bassguy2004

I guess 5, but I have more than 8 years of fishing under my belt. I help start our club in 1980.
The hardest thing for me to get passed was fishing in the back of the boat. Since the boater had first shot at the water, they had first shot at the fish. But learning to hit the little pockets of water that possibly held fish, made me a better fisherman.
Old 05-14-06, 07:57 PM   #5
JB

theres so many great anglers out there, I don't think anyone could claim a
#9 experience level
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 08:12 PM   #6
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i feel im a 7, but i have also won local tourneys for this year i am 7 and 0, i challenge people to a bass tournament when i see them fishing, but not for money, just braggin rights, but i feel that i can win a tourney at 10-15 places around here...

Ryan
Old 05-14-06, 08:29 PM   #7
flippin4it

I would say that I fall in the 7 range.....
Old 05-14-06, 09:05 PM   #8
fishin_dude

I guess I'll go with 8, but IMO I don't think fishing in tourneys or joining bass clubs makes anyone a better fisherman, the rating system above is kind of deceiving in judgment of skill. I have been bass fishing for 20+ years and I have never had the desire to fish competitively or join clubs and never will. Does that make me less skilled? No. I fish for the pure enjoyment of doing something out of the ordinary, and just being in nature. Now having a bit of knowledge and knowhow is definitely a plus, which is gained by simply having lots and lots time on the water, visiting forums such as this one, and reading up on the latest techniques, or creating your own through trial and error. I feel that I'm a good enough bass fisherman to catch some quality fish, but I really don't care about all of that. It's all about good times with friends, passing down what you know to young ones, and to witness the comedy of fishing. I think when fishing becomes a job, that's all it is, and there is nothing special about work. And to be honest I wish that pro-fishing didn't exist, sure it has brought the technology of lures and equipment a long way and we probably wouldn't have half of our favorite lures we use today without pro-fishing, but it also has it's consequences. The trade off is more people crowding the lakes and streams, less and smaller fish than ever before, high pressured lakes, and pollutants. Just look at all the rules and regulations we have , that says alot about how endangered fishing has become.

Last edited by fishin_dude; 05-15-06 at 08:12 PM.
fishin_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 09:38 PM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

#9....i'm always confident i can win or place in any local tourney.and i have done so many times....that's not saying i mastered all techniques(#8)...i just have confidence in my technique. #7 would also apply..
if you don't have confidence you better not even fish tournaments..i don't care what equipment or how much experience you have,you need confidence.having the attitude of "i'll probably do lousy in the tourney" is a sure sign you will not do good.C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-C-E...the most important thing you can take to a tourney.

Last edited by bassintom; 05-14-06 at 09:44 PM.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 10:23 PM   #10
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin_dude
I guess I'll go with 8, but IMO I don't think fishing in tourneys or joining bass clubs makes anyone a better fisherman, the rating system above is kind of deceiving in judgment of skill. I have been fishing bass for 20+ years and I have never had the desire to fish competitively or join clubs and never will. Does that make me less skilled? No. I fish for the pure enjoyment of doing something out of the ordinary, and just being in nature. Now having a bit of knowledge and knowhow is definitely a plus, which is gained by simply having lots and lots time on the water, visiting forums such as this one, and reading up on the latest techniques, or creating your own through trial and error. I feel that I'm a good enough bass fisherman to catch some quality fish, but I really don't care about all of that. It's all about good times with friends, passing down what you know to young ones, and to witness the comedy of fishing. I think when fishing becomes a job, that's all it is, and there is nothing special about work. And to be honest I wish that pro-fishing didn't exist, sure it has brought the technology of lures and equipment a long way and we probably wouldn't have half of our favorite lures we use today without pro-fishing, but it also has it's consequences. The trade off is more people crowding the lakes and streams, less and smaller fish than ever before, high pressured lakes, and pollutants. Just look at all the rules and regulations we have , that says alot about how endangered fishing has become.
damn good answer and the very last sentence is something to think about.
Old 05-14-06, 10:42 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Hmmmmmm......somewhere between 7 and 8. I've mastered most applications, am obsessed with bass fishing, want to learn more, but like fishin_dude I fish for fun-I'm at that point where I don't have anything to prove, except to myself. The day I quit trying to learn is the day I quit fishing. I wouldn't mind fishing in a club, just haven't found one yet, and finally found a good partner to fish with (Flyrod) so right now I'm pretty satisfied.
Old 05-14-06, 10:57 PM   #12
fishin_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
I'm at that point where I don't have anything to prove, except to myself. The day I quit trying to learn is the day I quit fishing.
Exactly..........
Old 05-15-06, 05:36 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
#9....i'm always confident i can win or place in any local tourney.and i have done so many times....that's not saying i mastered all techniques(#8)...i just have confidence in my technique. #7 would also apply..
if you don't have confidence you better not even fish tournaments..i don't care what equipment or how much experience you have,you need confidence.having the attitude of "i'll probably do lousy in the tourney" is a sure sign you will not do good.C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-C-E...the most important thing you can take to a tourney.
Gotta say ditto to Tom on this one. Aint got no confidence dont waste your money. I have not mastered all the techniques but I feel that I am pretty damn good at them. Dont think anyone really ever masters them just gets real good.
Old 05-15-06, 07:16 AM   #14
Floridafisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

I think im a 6 to a 7, I would be a 1/2 if you guys did not teach me anything form way back when
Floridafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 07:41 AM   #15
flbassman

3, 7, 8 and Almost 9. I have been fishing for four years, fished a few small tournaments, caught 5 or 6 Eights and above, fish almost every day in a pond, creek or river (If I can get somebody to let me take the boat out) I'm obsessed, and want to learn more, and I feel fairly confident that I could place in most local tourneys.
Old 05-15-06, 07:58 AM   #16
ohio_bass_fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ohio_bass_fisher

im not really sure on a rating on myself bass fishing is no new thing to me but there is still alot of things that need to be learned, i guess u can never stop learning new tricks.. been bass fishin ever since i was old enough to hold a pole.
and still loving it.
ohio_bass_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 08:30 AM   #17
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

7 i havent masterd all aspects pretty good at soft plastics, topwater, and spinnerbaits. not so good with a crankbaits though i keep buying them and dont fish them. ive gotten considerablly better this year so far though.
Old 05-15-06, 09:12 AM   #18
Zach_BassFisherman

i'd have to go with a 7, I havent fished in any tourneys and havent joined any clubs; whats the point? I have fun doing what I do, fish about everyday of the week and like it. I usually never go anywhere further than grove, oklahoma to fish. I like to stay and fish local waters and take the bragging rights of those. I enjoyment of fishing is what gets me, I do though plan on growing up to be a pro-fisherman, but i have a long ways to go, lots of stuff to learn, Ive learned alot from you guys. I could go under a couple of other categories up there though
Old 05-15-06, 10:53 AM   #19
skeeter944

i say a 2 and a 9.i am probably going to fish a tourney this weekend ,if i can get a boater. this is my second year of bass fishing and have gotten very good at fishing soft plastics on a split,dropshot,t-rig,and c-rig.i am learning spinnerbaits and topwaters and jigs,but i dont have a lot of confidence in them. i feel i can place first in the tourney,cause there isnt much competition,only a few people in my division. if i do fish that tourney, i will definitly let you guys know. thanks!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 05:14 PM   #20
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

It's nice to know that everyone on this board is a borderline professional angler that has mastered every technique. Um.....I'm somewhere between a 2 and a 3. I've only been fishing for a couple of years, and I fish mostly ponds, however recently I have been doing more lake fishing and I have competed in a couple of tournaments, once placing in the money and finishing second in the big bass. So, are we using this system to look up/down on others when they post their opinion? Even 7-10's can learn something from 1-4's I believe, although not us much as us low numbers can learn from you all.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 05:39 PM   #21
kickinbass54
BassFishin.Com Member

I would have to say that i would rate myself a 6. I may also be pushing it. I dont think you could rate yourself a 9 or 10 unless you were keven vandam or swindle. Those guys can catch fish no matter what. In or out of cometition.
kickinbass54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 07:00 PM   #22
bass kicker

honestly i would say i am a 5 i have been fishing for 13 years and i am a member of a fishing club
Old 05-15-06, 07:17 PM   #23
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

"9- Feel confident that you can win or place in any local tourney, and have done so in the past"
why would something like #9 refer only to a pro?...
just because i have confidence i can win a tourney does not make me a pro..
and yes,i have won and placed in many local tourneys..this also doesn't make me a pro..just a confident,knowledgable,competent angler.
i take it you have no confidence in yourself when it comes to fishing.....
and i don't see a problem with someone rating themselves a 10 if they want to..but unless i know they are a pro i'd break out the waders before it gets too deep.
Old 05-15-06, 07:24 PM   #24
Raul

I´m 42, been bass fishing since I was 16, I suck at buzzbaiting, I´ve caught over 100 10+ lbs fish, my PB is 13.86, have fished 2 tournaments and won them both but I don´t have time to fish tornaments. I´ve got 10 rods, 15 reels, more than 600 crankbaits over 100 spinnerbaits and about 80 pounds of soft plastics for bass alone, which only proves I´ve got more money than brains sometimes. No way I´m going to become a pro, I love to do what I do as much as I love bass fishing but I would never quit what I do, it´s been ages since I´ve gone to a lake known or unknown where I´ve came out empty handed, I always catch a limit with relative ease.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 07:25 PM   #25
Rebbasser

Quote:
It's nice to know that everyone on this board is a borderline professional angler that has mastered every technique.
Let me clarify, at least for myself-in this case mastered=knows how to do it. For example, I know how to fish a tube, but can't catch a cold on one. That said, though, I know if I keep throwing one eventually I will get bit.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.