Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-07-10, 10:52 AM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default G.Loomis New Rod Above GLX

G.Loomis has done it again, re-designed the way rods are built. his new Construction uses a higher modulus Graphite as well as a new proprietary resin system. The result is a rod that is both 20% lighter and 20% more impact resistant and 20% more sensitive than GLX.

They will also offer a slpit-grip

Link to the full article
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 10:57 AM   #2
rrw4258

Wow, a rod better than the GLX, that is impressive... but I wonder if the cost is also going to be 20% higher than the GLX ???

Ryan
Old 04-07-10, 11:19 AM   #3
doc

They are estimating the cost to be somewhere around 500. I don't think I will have one anytime soon, but you can equate this to any other type of technology. Now that it's out I imagine the other rods in their lineup will recieve a price cut, and in a few years they will probably be somewhat affordable (well for a loomis anyway).

I will say that i absolutely love my gloomis mossyback. It is hands down the best rod I've ever held. With my carrot stix gold coming in a close second.
Old 04-07-10, 11:22 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

So all crap aside, is it a glx with a split grip and a new sticker costing you 20% more?? A split grip on a GLX would be the 20% less weight..

I have broken too many glx and gl models to even THINK about shelling out that kind of money for another one...yep ya can feel a fish fart on your bait with them. but they ain't worth that kind of money...

zooker
Old 04-07-10, 11:46 AM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There are better rods out there for that kind of money...Grandt being one of them..I too have broken numerous Loomis, including (2) 9wt. fly rods..you pay a lot for the name
Old 04-07-10, 12:03 PM   #6
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
so all crap aside, is it a glx with a split grip and a new sticker costing you 20% more?? a split grip on a glx would be the 20% less weight..

i have broken too many glx and gl models to even THINK about shelling out that kind of money for another one...yep ya can feel a fish fart on your bait with them. but they aint worth that kind of money...

zooker

From what I read in the article, they have redesigned the way the graphite is compressed and rolled, allowing for more of it, which makes it stronger, more sensitive, and lighter. Kind of the way Loomis re-invented the market with graphite rods in the past. Before he, and some other engineers re-designed the way graphite was compressed allowing for higher modulus Graphite.

I'm no expert in rod making by any means, but it seems like any other technology. As other technology improves it allows for new ways to do stuff previously impossible.

Like I said, I wont be jumping on the $500 rod bandwagon, but with the new tech, and construction process I can see todays top end rods becoming cheaper. Kind of like last years camero. Not to mention, that if it's like in the past most companies will adopt some adaptation of this tech, which should lead to lighter,stronger, and more sensitive rods across the board. (just like in the past).

I always get excited when I see something come out that was not previously doable. It opens up the field for the next wave of innovation.
Old 04-07-10, 03:10 PM   #7
Cavs1123

That sounds awesome! (except for the price)
Old 04-07-10, 08:11 PM   #8
Bender

"the rods will feature a color that would not be expected in a G. Loomis blank"
That does not excite me. I like the kind of plain look of the Loomis rods. Also with that price I will not be in line to get one.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 08:21 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As long as they're not planning on making it an obnoxious color, I'll be very interesting in seeing them. I won't be buying one anytime soon figuring I can't even afford a GLX, but it's another rod to drool over.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 11:45 PM   #10
Vegasspider

OK I am sure you guys knew you would here from me on this one. I have acuminated 55+ G Loomis rods I would say over a 12-1 year period. I fish them and I fish them as hard as anyone when needed. I have never broken one in action. I have stepped on them, had people fall on them, break one going through a door etc. But NEVER and I mean NEVER on the water and I am on it 3-4 times a week most of the year. So with all due respect if I ever broke one or even more than one I would not be buying more so I am kind of calling you guys out on the they break over and over. If they broke as much as you guys wanna say they do, big deal they stand behind them. And if they did why did you buy more? I am still always surprised when drama gets created in fishing over nothing. We are fortune enough to have the choices we have and I agree, one does not need to spend $500 to get a good rod but if you can and you get one – it a great reward to yourself so stop breaking the dam_ things. LOL

The new rod is clearly not a GLX with a new sticker
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 12:28 AM   #11
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

Love G Loomis rods, I fish six different rods all G Loomis rods. Would't fish anything else.
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 02:32 AM   #12
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What this means to me is that there are going to be quite a few used GLX rods on the market after these are introduced, a few of which I will be buying.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 09:39 AM   #13
Jrob78

Loomis is owned by Shimano and the new Cumulus rod boasts a new "graphite and resin blend," I wonder if there are any similarities between the two? Could this new Loomis rod be a Cumulus blank or vice versa?
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 03:27 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
OK I am sure you guys knew you would here from me on this one. I have acuminated 55+ G Loomis rods I would say over a 12-1 year period. I fish them and I fish them as hard as anyone when needed. I have never broken one in action. I have stepped on them, had people fall on them, break one going through a door etc. But NEVER and I mean NEVER on the water and I am on it 3-4 times a week most of the year. So with all due respect if I ever broke one or even more than one I would not be buying more so I am kind of calling you guys out on the they break over and over. If they broke as much as you guys wanna say they do, big deal they stand behind them. And if they did why did you buy more? I am still always surprised when drama gets created in fishing over nothing. We are fortune enough to have the choices we have and I agree, one does not need to spend $500 to get a good rod but if you can and you get one – it a great reward to yourself so stop breaking the dam_ things. LOL

The new rod is clearly not a GLX with a new sticker
I don't think there was any drama created until your statement. Also, if there was, it isn't over nothing. People pay good money for their gear, and if they do, they don't want them to break. For some, even the $50 replacement fee is kind of steep. I bought used Loomis for a very good price, if I would happen to break it, there are times I wouldn't be able to afford $50 to get a new one. Not everyone is lucky enough to have seemingly unlimited funds like yourself.

Just because you've been lucky enough to have never broken a Loomis doesn't mean other people have had the same luck. In fact, I was told (from the owner of Jann's Netcraft, so this isn't just a rumor) about a guy who used nothing but loomis rods, but brought in about a broken one per month.

People may fish differently than you. People may abuse their rods more than you. It's not up to you to tell people that their rods shouldn't break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
What this means to me is that there are going to be quite a few used GLX rods on the market after these are introduced, a few of which I will be buying.
BI, actually if you spend the time to look, quite a few can be found already, and previous to the announcement of the new rod. And slightly used IMX rods are even easier to come buy for GL2-GL3 prices.

BB
Old 04-08-10, 04:19 PM   #15
nofearengineer

I will add one thing to the "broken rod" saga. Very often, the rod breaks while fishing, but the actual cause of the break happened during a storage mishap.

I also think it's kind of funny how people will be throwing down their GLX's like they're junk....the same ones they held in such high regard 12 months earlier. G. Loomis snobs are some of the funniest fanboys around.
Old 04-08-10, 04:46 PM   #16
MIbasser

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if somebody can afford a $500 rod, paying $50 to have it replaced isn't going to break his/her bank.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 04:50 PM   #17
bassinbob

I've never broken a rod while fishing. Broke them other ways as everyone else. I've seen pros snap them while fishing. I have one loomis rod. Since I have many different brands and plan on not buying more unless I break them. I would have to say I might be tempted to buy more loomis rods over Kistler. Then again I don't have every rod for different applicatins made by one company.
Old 04-08-10, 06:39 PM   #18
Bassboss

Yup! I saw that a few weeks ago on TT as well. Pretty cool, and I can't wait to see the new rod!!
Old 04-08-10, 06:53 PM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

NFE "I will add one thing to the "broken rod" saga. Very often, the rod breaks while fishing, but the actual cause of the break happened during a storage mishap."
+1 on that, high sticking, stepping on the them harder than you thought, your buddy stepping on them and failing to tell you, etc...
If some one is breaking a rod, no matter the brand, all the time, you need to find a different hobby or you have more money that sense. Because something that person is doing isn't right.
Old 04-08-10, 09:34 PM   #20
Jrob78

Another big cause of rod failures is allowing 1 oz c-rig weights to repeatedly slam against the blank. A small fracture or crack now is a broken rod later.
Old 04-08-10, 10:13 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Another big cause of rod failures is allowing 1 oz c-rig weights to repeatedly slam against the blank. A small fracture or crack now is a broken rod later.
Joe, you are so right! I'm actually looking to get a little piece of two-sided Velcro to wrap around my C-rig weight when not in use. Beats re-rigging it all the time.
Old 04-08-10, 10:16 PM   #22
Jrob78

With the hook in the hook keeper I sometimes will wrap my line around the rod and around the guides. This puts stress on the guides though. I think velcro is a excellent idea, re-rigging c-rigs is a major pain!
Old 04-08-10, 10:31 PM   #23
jasonfish320

I was being honest about my experience with Loomis..I broke 2 fly rods on one trip on the salmon river in Pulaski NY..the weird thing with the loomis rods is they have all busted in the same spot..right above the handle where you would think the most support would be...I have broken other rods and yes some of have been snapped by closing the storage lid on them (who hasn't done this)..I take really good care of my gear..and have a room in my house just for fishing gear and making baits..don't get me wrong most rods last for years with no worries...Bass fishing alone I think I have broke a half dozen..majority are somewhere at the tip, I think cranking really seems to put a beating on them because typically they are crankin' rods, or it could be my "swing for fences" hookset--you know the one. Also must consider that I fish probably more than the average person 4-5x week, sometimes twice a day and I'm thinkin of specific times within the past 5 years that I broke rods..I work for myself so I have flexible hours..however things are going to change soon as my wife and I are expecting a new member to the family..it's our first and we are super excited..
Old 04-09-10, 12:31 AM   #24
Vegasspider

Default Too much info

I agree with Bubba and should have said in more simple terms like he did. Sometimes I give too many details in my opinions.

See how easy that was to find a few to agree and disagree. I am of the total opinion and it’s only my opinion I totally agree that an event at an earlier time can almost always ad up to a rod breaking while in action. Regardless of brands.

On another note, I only wish I had an endless supply of money. Thanks for the compliment though, I will work on changing that image so you can view me as an equal. (Might downgrade to an engineering job or something. More of the Gloomis snob sense of humor LOL)I will only state this here one time in defense of myself, reread my post – I accumulated my rods over a life time. (I am 48) I did not go out buy them over night. I bought them as I could afford it new and used. It’s a brand I like and I am loyal to it and never had one problem that I did not cause was my point. I do happen to take pretty good care of my stuff and don’t loan my stuff unless it stays on my boat. So if you guys think working my as_ off for years makes me a snob or the illusion of some rich guy then think away. I work hard and proud of my toys. If your jealous I am sorry I can’t help you.

I should also ad, I am not personally attacking anyone and I have never fly fished so could be a total different scenario on the repeat breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
NFE "I will add one thing to the "broken rod" saga. Very often, the rod breaks while fishing, but the actual cause of the break happened during a storage mishap."
+1 on that, high sticking, stepping on the them harder than you thought, your buddy stepping on them and failing to tell you, etc...
If some one is breaking a rod, no matter the brand, all the time, you need to find a different hobby or you have more money that sense. Because something that person is doing isn't right.

Last edited by Vegasspider; 04-09-10 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 12:37 AM   #25
Vegasspider

Default I am waiting

I hear you Doc I will wait a year or two or if I can get lucky that some mad wife on Craigslist will be selling the old mans stuff while he is out of town with his girlfried. True story but some other time. Seriously I can wait a year or two for the price to come down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
They are estimating the cost to be somewhere around 500. I don't think I will have one anytime soon, but you can equate this to any other type of technology. Now that it's out I imagine the other rods in their lineup will recieve a price cut, and in a few years they will probably be somewhat affordable (well for a loomis anyway).

I will say that i absolutely love my gloomis mossyback. It is hands down the best rod I've ever held. With my carrot stix gold coming in a close second.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.