Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-02-12, 08:20 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kind of a different question

I lot of anglers use a black sharpie on thier braided fishing lines, me included.
Now I'm thinking of trying a heavy mono, 50lb plus for frogging. The motivation is to stop pike bite offs and not have to use tieable wire. With a split ring at the nose the wire works 'ok' not crippling the action totally but it's still not a real good 'walking' presentation. More of a 'drunking Irishman' walk.
So to the question, why not take a sharpie to the heavy, very visible (to me anyways) mono?

Think it won't stick?
Think it won't stay stuck on?
Am I making a simple solution (got it here from a thread I posted awhile back) in to a complicated obsession?
Think I'm just wasting my time?
Think 50 lb is enough?

Any insight welcomed.

Oh I use braid now and have yet to get the mono so if you have a fav feel free to say but I'm not really looking for high buck seeing the setup will have one duty...FROGGING.
Should mention one of my braid polls has tieable wire 30 test leader with a Norman speed clip. Tieable wire isn't as tieable as they would like you to believe.
And remember the sole purpose is to help with pike bite off and rather than tie a mono leader on (might as well keep braid then) figured I'd just spool the whole thing with mono.

Thanks for the help!

Disclaimer; I'm 92% Irish and 8% Luxembourg. Wonder which relative ran acrooss that poor young lass. My mother was a Houlihan.
Old 08-02-12, 08:55 PM   #2
Jrob78

I have absolutely no idea about the mono and Sharpie but it sounds like your idea would work in theory. My question is how much memory is 50lb mono going to have and how much will you be able to get on a bass reel? Will this even be doable from a practical standpoint?
Old 08-02-12, 09:57 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Hey Joe...this may be a repost from an earlier similar question about pike, if so chalk it up to early onset dementia.
I've never seen a pike in person but I grew up bass fishing in places that were crawling with Chain Pickeral (1st cousins?). Teeth like razor blades and very aggressive. What we finally figured out to do was to "clear" them out of an area we wanted to bass fish. Go through there with a spinnerbait or whatever and catch them then we could go back and bass fish. Again this worked well for "pics" as we called them, because they seemed to be concentrated in one area or another and once you gave them the bad news they usually stayed gone long enough for you to go about the bass catching business at hand. Pike may be completely different and less apt to take a hint but I'd at least try it before taking a sharpie to "weed trimmer line"
Old 08-02-12, 10:42 PM   #4
bassboogieman

50# mono is pretty stiff stuff, I've used it for salt water, but the reel it's on is 5 times the size of a bass reel. You won't get a lot on a LP bass reel, a round reel would give you enough on the spool if you're going to spool a reel with it. It's not easy to tie a knot in either. I think it might really kill the action on a frog due to that stiffness in addition to the other issues. As far as the sharpie goes, I would think the black would make it more visible than a clear or pink mono. It's a bit of a novel approach, I don't think I've ever heard of someone using 50# for any bass application. It it was me, I think I'd try a 6" - 9" titanium (30# test) wire leader at the end of your normal braid, pike won't bite through that. The titanium leaders are thinner and more flexible than the old steel wire leaders.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 11:30 PM   #5
joedog

I'm going to have to go back and see but I thought someone said to use at least 50lb but they may have been talking as a leader.

Bruce I got titaniums just always seem to not have them with. I find my supplies seem to last longer if I leave them at home.

Ken I like the idea but being a shorebuster at the moment there are a few challenges but I really think you have a good idea there.

Joe you may be right. I'm not sure if I thought this through enough.
Plus my memory could be faulty?
Old 08-02-12, 11:52 PM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://youtu.be/466P-Uyorm0

These guys get serious about leaders for Muskies, might help in figuring out your problem...I just accept that fact that I am going to lose baits to those toothy critters. I also wonder if 50lb mono would be large enough to stop those teeth? I tried using 80lb flouro, but it became a pain. I hook a few toothy ones(Musky and Pickerel(the worst)), while swimbaiting, and the size of the bait, and never ever giving them any slack seems to be the trick. Some have suggested just using 16" of 60lb seven strand wire, or single strand 174lb SMS wire from American Fishing Wire, directly looped and use sleeves and a crimping tool, no snaps or swivels, but that's more for fishing big swimbaits.

Last edited by Dogmatic; 08-03-12 at 12:13 AM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 11:53 PM   #7
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have seen and heard of the coloring of the braid. I think it is not necessary. When frog fishing it is especially not necessary IMO. If they are there and using the frog in the correct conditions they will never see the string and if they do, they don’t know what it is. I have been fishing braid with leaders for at least 15 years. The PowerPro guy started in Florida and we were using it long before my freshwater friends even knew it was available. I still have some diehard friends who wont use because they think of the noise it makes when reeling is a turn off for the fish. I cannot say with 100% certainty that I have lost fish because they seen my braid. Coloring is not going to hurt it but I just don’t think it helps in the hook up department. One other thing, I do fish leader with uni to uni and never tie directly on to braid with one exception, frog fishing. I tie directly on with the braid. Todays braids you can do that as the tinsel strength issue it used to have is really no longer a problem for most. Again IMO not necessary but does not hurt either.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 07:01 AM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think using a titanium leader is your best option overall. Line visibility when fishing frogs in cover is a non issue. The only thing the bass are going to see and focus on is your frog.
Old 08-03-12, 08:09 AM   #9
joedog

Kieth, thanks and just so everyone knows, pike usually don't actually hit in the pads, its usually in the open water between the pads and boat, open water. So I'm really not concerned when in the muck but walking the frog back to boat because the bass sometimes like to work the edges too.

Vegas, unfortunatly I rarely think inside 'the box', so to expect me to do something the way it 'should be' may be a stretch. I do use leader with braid too but again, the stiffer the leader the more hundurance to the lure action. The pike like poppers too so I was hoping to cover two challenges with one solution.

Dog, wow, I live in Wisconsin and my musky tourny friends fish No. Wi. alot. When I asked them they all said they use wire. But remember these guys are throwing baits bigger than me all day long. Never thought of the 'fly fishing' angle. And Larry is highly respected in that area, probably all areas. Had a cabin on the water a ways back in Hayword. Kind of sums up my challenge, I need someone from Pa. to tell me what the Wi. boys are doing.
Very, very good video, thanks!
Old 08-03-12, 09:01 AM   #10
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I know guys that fish pike water and they use heavy mono but as a leader. I think I remember one of them mentioning using leader specific material up to 100# test.
Old 08-03-12, 09:16 AM   #11
joedog

DVT thanks.
I'm thinking the mono idea was given to me as a leader suggestion and as usual thinking outside the box, I come up with this crazy whole reel fill idea.
Man I need to see if I can get back in that box!

Dvt sorry, in my haste I wasn't seeing the whole name on your post....so I'm sorry for shortening it to DVT when I should have shortened it to Mike.
Thanks again Mike.
Old 08-03-12, 02:11 PM   #12
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Joe, like in all fishing, only one way to find out. Give it a shot and let us know how it works!
Old 08-03-12, 06:08 PM   #13
merc1997

a marker will stay on your line for a while, and will at least stain it. but, what makes you think that black is any less visible than anything else?? 50lb mono will be very wiry. i have used 40lb. before, and it is castable if you have a very educated thumb. i think that i would go with braid, and a stranded leader of some kind, if you are dealing with toothy critters. it is used for pike and muskies all the time, and i would think they see just as well as a bass does. here is another question joe dog, if you think the bass is seeing your line, do you not think that he is seeing your hook(s), and everything else just as well or better than your line?? from my perspective, i would hope that he would be keying on my lure and not my line. well, just my two cents worth. just stew the questions over. by the way, i took a guy fishing the other day here on table rock. he was using floro, that according to most everyone "really helps" in catching fish in clear water because they can not see it. i used 40lb test stren fluorescent sonic braid. i caught 9 keepers, and my guest did not catch a fish. this guy according to others around here is a good basser. it did not appear to me that his invisible line helped him at all. the most important factors are depth and speed control.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 06:51 PM   #14
joedog

Redbasser, I was trying to avoid getting a spool of mono because I generally don't use it and heavy test mono would be basically worthless to me for any other use. If I try it I will let everyone know.

merc1997 thanks. Now you have to understand, I'm shorebusting on some extremely pressured waters that are 'extreme clear...10-15 ft. visibility so it's probably more of a confidence builder than anything. And the idea WAS to help the bass 'key in on the lure'.
I have friends who throw braid 100% and never use a leader...and they do catch fish. I on the other hand DO NOT have similar results. I always have at least a couple of braid set ups along.
And you may just plain be a better fisherman than your friend.
You gave me somethings to consider and I truely appreciate that.
Old 08-23-12, 10:32 PM   #15
Crankbait

Joe dog just tie a mono or better yet fluorocarbon (I know it sinks) leader on…. I was doing it with 20lb powerpro and 25lb seaguar red label leader material and I never broke off any of these black drum……biggest going 35+. Here’s a video of the knot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnk9miNAEQ8
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.