Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-28-14, 11:57 AM   #1
RandySpear
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Boat taking in water, please help

I have a 1996 Ranger 461vs. Recently had the following work done: New bilge pump, work on livewells, powepole installation (installed on the jackplate). Took boat out yesterday and within 3 hours water was coming through floor drain. My boat knowledge is limited. Wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what I should check. Im hoping this is something simple that im overlooking or forgot to do.
RandySpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 12:59 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1st thought - did you check your hull drain plug was secure (rear of the boat)? Not so obvious, you may have a leak at one of the through hull fittings for the livewell, or worse the hose was not connected for the livewell after the work was done. I'm surprised you did not get an indication you were taking on water by that new bilge pump operating, something does not sound right there either.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 03:37 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah ... going with boogieman's suggestions. Check the live-well drain, the bilge pump connections, the bolt holes for the power pole installation, and proper sealing of the external drain plug. With the boat on the trailer, and the trailer hooked to the hitch, use a hose to put some water into the floor drain. Remember that water weighs over 8 pounds per gallon, so you don't want to put too much water in there. The trailer should be hooked to the hitch to keep it form tipping engine down when the water weight gets unbalanced.
You should see water dripping out somewhere ... and that will be your leak. ON my jon boat, it was a pin hole leak under a seat. A steel screw had laid there and rusted, The screw and the rust had caused more corrosion through the aluminum hull.
Good luck with yours.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 06:04 PM   #4
RandySpear
BassFishin.Com Member

Really appreciate the help fellas. I'll try those suggestions and report back.
RandySpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 03:07 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

While on the water open rear comparment lid,should be able to view where powerpole bolts go thru,that new bilge pump means little as manally operated via a switch unless an automatic.Evry so often on the water turn on that bilge pump,if you get much you know you have a problem.Do you beach much have a hanbys,check the centerline if not for a wear spot.The bad thing is lots of wood in older rangers,the good cannot actually sink one.I have intenionally pulled the plug to lower the boat to get under a low bridge,replaced and pumped out when on the other side,also took off windshields pays to have a cordlessdriver-grassy creek kerr lake-getting to old for that and no longer have an unsinkable ranger.
If you find a thin spot on the centerline that walmart putty that works even underwater will do the job,kinda like playdough.If its the install then bolts need to be removed one at a time and caulking applied to holes and bolts.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-29-14 at 03:13 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.