Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-07, 12:57 PM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Post Questions for you.

A) Rattles
When do you use worm rattles? Sometimes I put them in creature baits but on average I never put them in worms. I haven't seen a distinct advantage in using them, how about you?

B)Texas rigs
When do you peg the weight and when do you decide not?
What are the overwhelming factors involved?
With tungsten around do you still use lead?

C) C-Rigs
For weight what do you use brass, lead or tungsten?
I have recently enjoyed the tungsten barrel style but, was suggested to go back to brass. I stuck with tungsten because it worked for me and two I got more feedback on what was on the bottom. What about you?
Is your c-rig rod application specific or multi purpose?
(How many of your rods are a/s and how many are m/p? Which are application specific and which are multi-purpose? )

D) What style of hard baits do you use most often? What colors/brands you find work for you and which did not? Describe the conditions you fished them.

E) In the forums, do you share what actually works for you are do you just get tips from others? After your tournaments does the winner ever tell what/where/how and do you believe them? Do you do the same?

F) Jigs
Do you prefer jigs over plastics for flipping or vise versa and why? What are the advantages of both? Which do you use more often?
What manufactor of jigs do you use most often and list colors and weight?
Underwhat conditions do you perfer either and what are the deciding factors?

G) Line
What line size you use the most and list the line sizes per applications?
Aside from braid and mono what other types of line do you use?
Ever C/B with braid, how was it?
With braid around do you ever actually use mono that is 25# and above?

Lastly,
what do you do with the reels in your closet that work but you don't fish with them because you've upgraded? Does anyone have the shimano Calyx? What sites have you joined that wasn't your forte'? Any discounts just for being a member of a particular site

Thanks for your time and honesty.. I am still out to sea and must have read this bass pro mag 40times.. Can't really share what we are doing but it's important that it gets done. Well it's time to go.. later..
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 01:49 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow,thats one long question!
A) I dont usaully use them except in heavy cover and murky water,they seem to help the fish find the bait a little better.

B)I peg the weight when pitching the bait and when using weights above 3/8ounce. I still use lead,its cheaper.

C)Lead,normally 3/8-1/2 ounce weights,I like a 6'6'' Heavy action baitcaster with 15-20lb green mono.

D)RattleTraps,they are my favorite bait for covering water next to a spinnerbait. I fish them whenever wherever until I find fish. If the fish want a slower presentation,I will use a c-rig to cover more water and find concetrations of them.

E) Yes,Yes,Yes,and Yes.

F)I prefer plastics over jigs because its a confidence thing. I want to learn jigs this year though,and I am trying to learn them right now. I have Stirke King Jigs in black/blue and greenpumpkin,and I use 3/8 ounce most of the time. i like to go into the thick stuff and pitch when it is a bluebird day or the bass are very pressured and are in the cover.

G)Berkley Big Game in 15lb and 20lb,both green,but I use Fluorocarbon in 17lb for worming. I crank with 15lb big game,it absorbs shock better than braid,preventing the bass from shaking his head and throwing my bait.20lb mono is the highest test I use ,but there are some people that will use 30lb mono. I dont have enough reels to have extras,but if I did,I would just bring them with me and put them in the rod locker to use if one of my other reels broke or backlashed.
Thanks for serving our country! God Bless! I hope I helped!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 02:45 PM   #3
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

B) I peg weights when flippin to heavy cover. Theres not a real reason not to peg em...or at least go with a florida rig. You'll lose a lot less baits when u peg em.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 02:58 PM   #4
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

USNGSM2,

You raised some interesting questions. However, I want to address the most important section of your questions. The last paragraph: Thank you for all you and your fellow service men and women do to proctect our country. Without you we would not be able to enjoy the things that we all tend to take for granted. Thank you and stay safe!!

If you have access to the internet all the time, this forum will give you endless hours of reading. Not only the current threads, but the old ones too. That way you are not stuck reading the same magazine 40 times. I haven't looked into it, but can you subscribe and get some of the magazines online and read them online? Just a thought.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 10:55 AM   #5
Bassin Bigdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Well said Everrtvet, I am a retired sailor and do know how it is. USNGSM2 - Fair winds and Folowing Seas Shipmate!!

Back to your questions!

A: very seldom use them unless in murky water and heave cover
B: I always peg because i lose less baits and I think it looks more natural, I use tungsten to get more weight without more bulk
C: Still tryin to figure out C-rigs, not much success so far
D: Suspending Rogues and Pointers "Match The Hatch"
E: Yes, Yes, Sometimes and Yes
F: Depends on conditions, I luv the BooYa 1/2 oz. Watermelon Red jig its a confidence thing!
G: I use Flouro 8lb for drop shot and finesse, 12-14 Mono for cranking and spinnerbaits, 30# Power Pro braid for Jig/flippin and pitchin, 12# Flouro for worms and soft plastics.
H: I have found TONS of info on this forum, and everyone is always willing to give up info.

God Speed!
Bassin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 06:24 PM   #6
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A: I use them alot, for lizards, creatures, and tubes. In murky water, heavy cover and fished deep in clear water.

B: I agree with skeeter944 on his picks for this question

C: My choice is brass and tungsten fro the weight, and my rod is a/s

D: I really love the x-rap and the Wild Shiner from Strike King. I
use these in colder water primarily, because they suspend so well, and their extremely erratic movements. Refining them for warmer water temps by ripping them fast and sporadicaly, have produced some of my largest fish of my life.

E: YES to all

F: Jigs, but with heavy mats, I like the worms, they seem to glide down much easier with a heavier weight.

G: I agree with Bassin Bigdog whole heartedly on his picks for this question
Old 02-16-07, 07:56 PM   #7
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lets give this a try.

a. I will use a rattle 90% of the time with a jig or creature unless it is texas rigged.

b. I don't usually peg my weights.

c. Most of them time I use lead weights for c-rigs and flourocarbon line.

d. I fish numerous hard baits. The bait monkey has caused me to buy a zillion colors but my 3 go to colors are shad, perch and crawfish. I just bought a couple of Lucky Crafts and for what they cost they had better catch fish.

e. Yes. Depends on the tourny, some guys are not honest about spots and lures.

f. Jigs with some type of soft trailer and not brand specific. I like natural colors, crawfish and green pumpkin are my favorites.

g. I use Fireline, Berkley transition, Suffix mono and stren braid for frogs.

h. I just sold a bunch of older rods and reels to some guys at work for their grandkids. I basically gave them away.

I have (3) brands of rods in my rod lockers right now and they are St. Croix, AllStar and Berkley Lightning. My reels are Daiwa Capricorns and Vientos, Pfluegers, Abu Garcia, BP Rick Clunn 7:1 and Shakespeare spinning.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 09:51 AM   #8
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Hey Hog, how do you like that Rick Clunn BPS reel? I was thinking about getting one before going to Florida, but wasn't to sure.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 02:36 PM   #9
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
Hey Hog, how do you like that Rick Clunn BPS reel? I was thinking about getting one before going to Florida, but wasn't to sure.
I wish I could tell you but I bought it a month ago and haven't had the chance to fish with it yet. I can tell you that it is really smooth and the drag seems good but I haven't hooked a lunker with it yet.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 08:57 PM   #10
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by usngsm2 View Post
A) Rattles
When do you use worm rattles? Sometimes I put them in creature baits but on average I never put them in worms. I haven't seen a distinct advantage in using them, how about you?

B)Texas rigs
When do you peg the weight and when do you decide not?
What are the overwhelming factors involved?
With tungsten around do you still use lead?

C) C-Rigs
For weight what do you use brass, lead or tungsten?
I have recently enjoyed the tungsten barrel style but, was suggested to go back to brass. I stuck with tungsten because it worked for me and two I got more feedback on what was on the bottom. What about you?
Is your c-rig rod application specific or multi purpose?
(How many of your rods are a/s and how many are m/p? Which are application specific and which are multi-purpose? )

D) What style of hard baits do you use most often? What colors/brands you find work for you and which did not? Describe the conditions you fished them.

E) In the forums, do you share what actually works for you are do you just get tips from others? After your tournaments does the winner ever tell what/where/how and do you believe them? Do you do the same?

F) Jigs
Do you prefer jigs over plastics for flipping or vise versa and why? What are the advantages of both? Which do you use more often?
What manufactor of jigs do you use most often and list colors and weight?
Underwhat conditions do you perfer either and what are the deciding factors?

G) Line
What line size you use the most and list the line sizes per applications?
Aside from braid and mono what other types of line do you use?
Ever C/B with braid, how was it?
With braid around do you ever actually use mono that is 25# and above?

Lastly,
what do you do with the reels in your closet that work but you don't fish with them because you've upgraded? Does anyone have the shimano Calyx? What sites have you joined that wasn't your forte'? Any discounts just for being a member of a particular site

Thanks for your time and honesty.. I am still out to sea and must have read this bass pro mag 40times.. Can't really share what we are doing but it's important that it gets done. Well it's time to go.. later..
I would just suggest you break this post down, and make it several questions. You'll probably get more responses, maybe not any better ones, but more. I will give a quick response to your questions. I would go into more detail if it was broken down over several posts. Thanks for what you and your fellow soldiers do. I salute all of you, and come home safe.

A. I use rattles almost always on jigs.
B. I "ALWAYS" peg my weights on t-rigs.
C. I use a "Mojo" lead weight most of the time.
d. No favorites, I use what I think the conditions call for.
E. Yes I'm honest about what works for me on this or any other forum, can't speak for others.
F. I prefer plastics if I'm in more open water. I use jigs for heavy vegetation to punch through.
G. I use Powerpro Braid 50lb 90% of the time, on all types of techniques. I also will use Fireline 20lb, Trilene XL 12lb, and Flouroclear 20lb.

Lastly,

I donate most of my stuff to folks from this site or elsewhere. If I aint gonna use it anymore, and it works, I usually just give it away.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.