Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-17-07, 01:03 AM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default Fishing Creature baits ?

So i hear that fishing these types of bait have been sucessful and was wondering if anyone had any input on fishing them ...how, when, and where ...if i were to throw one it would most likely be around heavy cover w/ 3/8 oz weight to get me down in there just curious ?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...SOTHERPLASTICS
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 02:03 AM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

It should be illegal to fish with creature baits since they're so awesome. Simply put, you can use these baits anytime anywhere on a lake and catch fish with them. Since you mentioned using the lures in heavy cover, you can use any kind of weight you want to get it down in the grass or trees, and pegging the sinker with a toothpick would keep some of the grass off the lure too. Hook them Texas style and keep the point of the hook inside the lure or skinhooked after the point comes out of the lure. They can be used as topwater baits too when fished weightless across cover like grass or sticks. Sorry I'm freaking out about creature baits, but they're pretty awesome lures. There's another weightless method you could probably use and that is to swim the bait at a very slow retrieve letting the bait sink slowly throughout the retrieve. I think this works best during the prespawn/spawn/postspawn periods while there are lots of bass up shallow in the backs of coves.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 08:21 AM   #3
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

They also rule c-rigged, especially in the summer when you have a longer leader. I prefer to put worm rattles in the bait and shy away form brass and glass against the swivel. The noise coming from the bait itself lands me more fish.
Old 02-17-07, 02:14 PM   #4
BassAddict

A baby brushhog is my "go to" bait the last few years. Also a Wooly Hogtail is pretty good. I use them year round. T-rig or C-rig they work great both ways depending on the circumstances.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 05:18 PM   #5
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

One of the few reasons to fish a creature instead of a jig is if ur punching grass matts. They have good action and if u put a big ol weight on em they slide right thru.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 05:49 PM   #6
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mojo,
This is one of my favorite baits to fish. Get your sefl some beavers, Reaction Innovations are extremley good. Use the 4.20" size. I use a 3/0 EWG and a 1/4 oz weight or more. My line of choice- is either braid(65 lb) or 20-25 lb mono. I fish this on a flippin stick exclusivley. They dont always have to be flipped in cover, I flip structure too. Anyways, I flip, let it sink, shake it, pull it out, new target. Fast speed is my favorite with this bait. In out, In out, In out, TM on 3, In out, in out is the pattern I follow. This method really worked for me last august on my lake, Spruce Run. I was hittin all the shallow bushes, pitchin and flippin it didnt matter. Just a constant cadence, no stoppin, no slowing. In out, In out I cant stress it enough. Eventually youll get bit and by quality fish.

Another creature I like is the baby brush hog, around spawn for beds. I use a spinning rod, 1/8oz weight, cast it on the bed. shake it to stir up silt, and hold on. I also use it in place of a plastic worm at times, to give a fish a new look. It is that versatile.

Paca Craws, are flipped. We got 1 in January on a paca craw here flipped to logs. In, let it sit, repeat.
Old 02-17-07, 06:11 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

why are you throwing 3/8 oz sinkers??

zooker
Old 02-17-07, 06:13 PM   #8
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
why are you throwing 3/8 oz sinkers??

zooker
zook,
I normally thro 1/4 oz. I have stepped up to 1/2 oz, before. It all dpends on what your fishing IMO. When I used 1/2oz I was fishing a matted up alke, entire thing choked in weeds. In the summer, I thro 3/8 and 1/4 oz for a reaction bite. Im going for active fish. Not snails pace.

Also if I recall mojo fishes the potomac. place gets matted up big time I hear...
Old 02-17-07, 06:17 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i know power but 3/8 is a tad heavy except in very heavy currant areas..or you are punching thru matted hydrilla..

the best time for critter baits is NOW and then again in the summer..

zooker
Old 02-17-07, 06:24 PM   #10
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i know power but 3/8 is a tad heavy except in very heavy currant areas..or you are punching thru matted hydrilla..

the best time for critter baits is NOW and then again in the summer..

zooker

Potomac= matted grasses

I use 1/4 oz in laydowns, logs, bushes, etc.
3/8 and up in weeds
Old 02-18-07, 02:11 PM   #11
3dkicker

PB - you may want to re-think about the weights on the river. 1/8 oz or 3/16 oz works very well. Remember the fish normally see baits swimming by them either with or against current. Sometimes on the river the lighter baits catch more and better fish. Happened to me fishing a team tournament last summer. My partner was swinging 2-3lb fish into the boat and I wasn't. Same bait, same line, different weight. He was throwing a 1/8 while I had the 1/4. Made a difference.
Old 02-18-07, 11:25 PM   #12
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

the zoom vibracraw is the bomb here...as well as trixi sweet beavers....texas rigged....and depending on the wind here is how i choose the weight i use....slow rollin em on the bottom or near cover.....they are sweet baits to be sure.....have caught alot of fish on em.....as well as the baby bush hogs.....all i can say is try it you'll like it........
Old 02-19-07, 10:37 PM   #13
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
A baby brushhog is my "go to" bait the last few years. Also a Wooly Hogtail is pretty good. I use them year round. T-rig or C-rig they work great both ways depending on the circumstances.

Eric

I'm with BassAddict on this one....the baby brush hog has been my "go to" bait as well. When in doubt, grab the hog. I'm agreeing with Kicker, fishing the Potomac I use 3/16 sinkers and rarely will I ever go above a 1/4. The Potomac fish seem to like it.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.