Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-01-10, 05:11 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Braided Lines and Number of Carriers

When I was at BPS last week, I pulled 6 or so spools of braided line off the shelves to compare the feel. I picked a few different lines based on how many carriers, or strands, they were made of.

1. Power Pro (4 carriers)
2. Sufix Performance Braid (4 carriers @ 10-20lb; 6 carriers @ 30-40lb; 8 carriers @ 50+lbs)
3. Fireline Braid (8 carriers)
4. Spiderwire Ultracast (8 carriers)

What I noticed was brand had a lot less to do with smoothness than the number of carriers, especially when comparing the Sufix.

As you would expect, I found the Power Pro and low test Sufix lines to be the roughest with the sufix maybe being a little smoother. The mid test Sufix lines were in the middle and the high test Sufix, Fireline, and Ultracast were by far the smoothest. They all felt about the same with the Ultracast probably being the smoothest (but not by much at all).

The 8 carrier lines were a bit more supple than the lower ones (although all braid breaks in after some use). I started with Power Pro and never looked back once I spooled up with some 6 carrier 30lb Sufix Performance Braid.

I've had 10lb Sufix on my dropshot rod for over a year now and have been pleased, but again, it's only a 4 carrier line, and there is a VERY noticeable difference in smoothness between it and the Fireline and Ultracast braids in the same test.

Of course, you pay for more carriers. Fireline Braid and Spiderwire Ultracast are both much more expensive than Sufix Performance braid. So if I was using 50lb or above, I'd without question go with sufix. But as I get more and more fed up with line twist on spinning reels, I'm wondering if the extra price is worth it for a low test 8 carrier line.

So, after my rather long winded pre-question, what do you guys think about the number of carriers in different braided lines? Is it worth the price for the extra smoothness?

BB
Old 06-01-10, 05:31 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Only if you prefer the extra smoothness, otherwise not.
Old 06-01-10, 06:01 PM   #3
Jrob78

I think it's probably more critical on spinning gear.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 06:12 PM   #4
keithdog

So far I've ben using Power Pro for all my braided applications and havn't had any problems at all, so I'd guess not.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 08:57 PM   #5
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

On spinning tackle I use 10 lb Power Pro. I can't speak to the others since I've never used them other than Spiderwire (not the Ultracast). Once the Power Pro was broken in I never had any problems....it handles great and I'm very happy with it so I guess 4 carrier vs. 8 carriers isn't an issue for me.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:09 PM   #6
WTL

Why do we want smoothness? It seems to be low on my considerations for what makes a good line.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 10:02 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Why do we want smoothness? It seems to be low on my considerations for what makes a good line.
I'd say, when it comes to braid, that smoothness does matter. First of all, it will be less noisy (which isn't a problem for some), and it will also reduce friction and air resistance making for longer casts. And perhaps it won't be as bad on guides.

BB
Old 06-02-10, 01:26 AM   #8
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd say, when it comes to braid, that smoothness does matter. First of all, it will be less noisy (which isn't a problem for some), and it will also reduce friction and air resistance making for longer casts. And perhaps it won't be as bad on guides.

BB

Here comes my ignorance. What are carriers?
Old 06-02-10, 02:20 AM   #9
islandbass

Carriers is another name for strands. I'm not a genius, but I caught its definition upon reading BB144's post a second time and more slowly, for which my initial skimming of his post was a bit too fast to catch it the first time.

I use 30# ppro, but my reason for using it is economical over smoothness. PPro is usually a little cheaper and comes with 150 yds while some other makers either match that but charge more, or charge the same but only offer 125 yards.

That same ppro has been on my curado for about 3 seasons now and kicking strong.
Old 06-02-10, 02:51 AM   #10
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Carriers is another name for strands. I'm not a genius, but I caught its definition upon reading BB144's post a second time and more slowly, for which my initial skimming of his post was a bit too fast to catch it the first time.
That is what I guessed, but I wanted to make sure.
Old 06-02-10, 07:51 AM   #11
Bassboss

Yes I think it would be depending on which like you got, and switched from. If it's sufix to spider wire, with only a 3$ difference (from 30lb Sufix, to 30lb SW), it's not that big of a deal at all IMO, especially for 1 more carrier.
Old 06-02-10, 08:04 AM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Here comes my ignorance. What are carriers?

he's a midwestern yankee dr fever....they use a weird version of english up der.comes from being snowned on 8 months of the year ehhh?

zooker
Old 06-02-10, 09:21 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I use 30# ppro, but my reason for using it is economical over smoothness. PPro is usually a little cheaper and comes with 150 yds while some other makers either match that but charge more, or charge the same but only offer 125 yards.
Don't forget the companies that charge more AND give you less line, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Yes I think it would be depending on which like you got, and switched from. If it's sufix to spider wire, with only a 3$ difference (from 30lb Sufix, to 30lb SW), it's not that big of a deal at all IMO, especially for 1 more carrier.
Spiderwire Ultracast actually has (in the lower tests) 4 more carriers than sufix, and is more money for less line.

Here are some price comparisons for 10, 30, and 65lb tests.

10lb
Power Pro - 150yds @ 13.99 - $0.09 per yd
Sufix Performance - 150yds @ 16.99 - $0.11 per yd
Fireline Braid - 110yds @ 18.99 - $0.17 per yd
Spiderwire Ultracast - 125yds @ 18.99 - $0.15 per yd

30lb
Power Pro - 150yds @ 13.99 - $0.09 per yd
Sufix Performance - 150yds @ 16.99 - $0.11 per yd
Fireline Braid - 110yds @ 19.95 - $0.18 per yd
Spiderwire Ultracast - 125yds @ 18.99 - $0.15 per yd

65lb
Power Pro - 150yds @ 16.99 - $0.11 per yd
Sufix Performance - 150yds @ 20.99 - $0.14 per yd
Fireline Braid - 110yds @ 19.95 - $0.18 per yd
Spiderwire Ultracast - 125yds @ 21.99 - $0.18 per yd

So, it seems like in the higher tests where Sufix has 8 carriers it's by far the best value. Fireline Braid is consistently the most expensive, probably due to the slightly smaller 110yd spools. And Power pro is he most economical all across the board, but only contains 4 carriers. Spiderwire seems like the best choice for low tests if you want a line with 8 carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
he's a midwestern yankee dr fever....they use a weird version of english up der.comes from being snowned on 8 months of the year ehhh?

zooker
Not quite 8 months, but sometimes, it feels like more!

BB
Old 06-02-10, 09:58 AM   #14
nofearengineer

I started out with some Stren Super Braid...all I will say is "ugh." Not sure it had to do with the number of carriers, but boy did it suck.

I then moved to Power Pro. It seemed a lot stronger, but it was very rough, due to fewer carriers. It makes a lot of noise casting (does that really matter? personal preference...but with recoil guides like I use, it would definitely be annoying).

On the advice of someone, I then tried Fireline Braid. Like Anthony says, the 8 carriers really make a difference in smoothness. The noise while casting is greatly reduced, and it helps distance as well. It has also proven to be very strong. I probably wouldn't even consider another braid unless it has at least 8 carriers.
Old 06-07-10, 05:14 PM   #15
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think it's probably more critical on spinning gear.
ditto.....
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 09:18 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Well, I've got two spools of Spiderwire Invisibraid. I know it's not translucent, but I thought the white would be easier to see when line watching since they don't have a yellow braid.

Anyways, I'm getting sick of mono and fluoro on spinning reels and have now switched over to braid on both of mine. I've only fished with the 10lb test on my dropshot rod, and only for a little bit. But so far, it seems much smoother and quieter than the 4 carrier Sufix performance braid in 10lb. I'll have a more in depth review of the line after I get some field testing done.

BB
Old 06-09-10, 12:20 AM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
So far I've ben using Power Pro for all my braided applications and havn't had any problems at all, so I'd guess not.
What Keith said.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.